DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S battery 0% - now it won't charge. Is there a way to wake it up?

SkywalkerFeng

Reactions
Site
www.instagram.com
I have one Air 2S battery, with roughly 40 cycles. During the last flight, I exhausted all of its power, to 0%. Now it won't charge. I put it in the charging hub for over one hour now, nothing happens. I tried pressing the power button, no response. Is there a way to wake up such a dead battery?

I have one Air 2S battery, with roughly 40 cycles. During the last flight, I exhausted all of its power, to 0%. Now it won't charge. I put it in the charging hub for over one hour now, nothing happens. I tried pressing the power button, no response. Is there a way to wake up such a dead battery?
How much time was it on 0%? I flew two of my batteries to 0% and flew about 20 seconds with 0%, and they still charge.
I guess one of your cells went below 2.5V.
Leave it for more time, maybe the charger will try to slowly charge the battery at first, you will see no indication, but don't leave the charging unattended.

Definitely try charging using just the original charger without the 3-battery add on. This method often works on batteries that aren't too dead.

Reactions: Joethedrone
Yep, charging cable direct, no hub . . . also put it on and leave it on.
I've read wake up posts very often that say it took overnight to start charging, even more than 24hrs.
I'd give it 2 or even 3 days, but leave it somewhere safe as it would be hard to monitor during charging (like we are supposed to do when lipos are on the charger).

How much time was it on 0%? I flew two of my batteries to 0% and flew about 20 seconds with 0%, and they still charge.
I guess one of your cells went below 2.5V.
Leave it for more time, maybe the charger will try to slowly charge the battery at first, you will see no indication, but don't leave the charging unattended.

I actually crashed the drone, due to battery ran out completely during the flight. The drone ran into strong head wind during the flight back home, and did not make its way to the home point. I managed to retrieve the drone and the battery, and that was two months ago. I tried to charge the battery using the battery charging hub, with just this battery, for a couple of hours, and it did not respond. I thought the battery was completely dead.

Yep, charging cable direct, no hub . . . also put it on and leave it on.
I've read wake up posts very often that say it took overnight to start charging, even more than 24hrs.
I'd give it 2 or even 3 days, but leave it somewhere safe as it would be hard to monitor during charging (like we are supposed to do when lipos are on the charger).

I am charging that battery directly with the original charger now. Hopefully it would wake up tomorrow.

I actually crashed the drone, due to battery ran out completely during the flight. The drone ran into strong head wind during the flight back home, and did not make its way to the home point. I managed to retrieve the drone and the battery, and that was two months ago. I tried to charge the battery using the battery charging hub, with just this battery, for a couple of hours, and it did not respond. I thought the battery was completely dead.
So it fell out of the sky?
If so then you probably will not be able to wake up the battery again.

Reactions: HighlandsVideo
So it fell out of the sky?
If so then you probably will not be able to wake up the battery again.

Yes the drone fell to the ground. But the battery was still in the drone and I see no external damage. I was hoping to recharge it and bring it back to life.

Yes the drone fell to the ground. But the battery was still in the drone and I see no external damage. I was hoping to recharge it and bring it back to life.
I hope someone else can help you, I don't really know much about the subject.
What I do know is that when batteries reach 3.0V per cell the drone starts descending quickly, and if it reaches 2.5V it falls. There are some "hacks" that will bring your battery back to life, at least for the mavic 2, but they are not very safe as the battery is not safe anymore to use, irreversible damage has occurred in the chemistry of it.

Reactions: Dan AISCF
@SkywalkerFeng ,did it actually crash or was it a forced landing ,there is a difference ,even if you manage to revive the battery ,you are going to be putting your drone at risk again if you use it to fly with ,its ok to use it for updates but i would not fly with it again
with regards to the "crash" its possible that some damage could have been done to the airframe even internally that could suddenly cause a catastrophic failure during flight
as the PIC it is your responsibility to ensure that the drone is in an airworthy condition to the best of your knowledge before it gets airborne

I hope someone else can help you, I don't really know much about the subject.
What I do know is that when batteries reach 3.0V per cell the drone starts descending quickly, and if it reaches 2.5V it falls. There are some "hacks" that will bring your battery back to life, at least for the mavic 2, but they are not very safe as the battery is not safe anymore to use, irreversible damage has occurred in the chemistry of it.

Do you mean Air 2S battery suffers from irreversible damage, if it reaches 2.5V per cell? How do I find out the internal voltage of the battery, when it doesn't charge? Is it directly tied to the remaining percentage of the battery?

@SkywalkerFeng ,did it actually crash or was it a forced landing ,there is a difference ,even if you manage to revive the battery ,you are going to be putting your drone at risk again if you use it to fly with ,its ok to use it for updates but i would not fly with it again
with regards to the "crash" its possible that some damage could have been done to the airframe even internally that could suddenly cause a catastrophic failure during flight
as the PIC it is your responsibility to ensure that the drone is in an airworthy condition to the best of your knowledge before it gets airborne

I was flying over the sea when DJI fly app notified me with the "low battery warning" - I think it was triggered at 25% battery capacity (I never changed the default value in settings). I immediately trigger RTH function, but unfortunately there was a strong head wind during the flight back home, and the battery depleted much faster than the app estimated. The drone started force landing when it was 200 meter away from home point, and eventually crashed landing mid-air, when the battery was completely exhausted. The drone has broken arms and gimbal, but the battery itself seems to be intact. I understand it is not safe to fly with unreliable battery, I just wish there is an easier way to find out what is the current condition of it, is it still good to recharge.

The drone started force landing when it was 200 meter away from home point, and eventually crashed landing mid-air,

Crashing into the ground like that the battery might have suffered internal damage.
If the charging was attempted straight away, you might have had luck in that if it was in an undamaged state.

It you left it for 2 months totally drained, the reason it is not charging now could be more related to the chemistry and leaving it with virtually no charge for that much longer.
It could be destroyed or it may wake up with a longer charge attempt.

So you got a new drone now and wish to use the battery ?
If you do wake it up by leaving it on for some time, maybe it is best to keep it for ground use, doing updates, adjusting settings and such.

When you try putting this on charge again, be sure for at least an hour or so to go regularly (every 10 minutes or so) and feel the battery for high temperature.
If you feel it warm that's ok, but if getting hot to touch, take it off and dispose of the battery.

Reactions: Yaros and Dan AISCF
Do you mean Air 2S battery suffers from irreversible damage, if it reaches 2.5V per cell? How do I find out the internal voltage of the battery, when it doesn't charge? Is it directly tied to the remaining percentage of the battery?
It does damage when reaches 2.9V per cell, but it locks itself up when it reaches about 2.5V per cell. The percentage isn't tied to voltage, to know it you need to power up the drone with it... If it doesn't charge being 2 or 3 days on the charger then it's probably broken.

I was flying over the sea when DJI fly app notified me with the "low battery warning" - I think it was triggered at 25% battery capacity (I never changed the default value in settings). I immediately trigger RTH function, but unfortunately there was a strong head wind during the flight back home, and the battery depleted much faster than the app estimated. The drone started force landing when it was 200 meter away from home point, and eventually crashed landing mid-air, when the battery was completely exhausted. The drone has broken arms and gimbal, but the battery itself seems to be intact. I understand it is not safe to fly with unreliable battery, I just wish there is an easier way to find out what is the current condition of it, is it still good to recharge.
First thing to do? GET RID OF THAT BATTERY. Even if you get it working again, you shouldn't trust it. I wouldn't. Not worth the risk. It may at some point behave erratically. Suck it up and buy a new one.

Haven't done this with my A2S, but with others DJIs (MA2, MA, P34K)... I put the battery in the drone and charged it thru the drone. For some reason that wakes up the battery. Leave it for a few hours... take it off charge, let it sit for an hour. Then put it in the external charger and it should start charging again.

I have also let one of my batteries run right down but luckily it did recharge after some time. However several times I have allowed a mobile lipo battery to run right down and could only get it to charge again if I gave it a boost voltage for a few minutes, about 30% higher than normal.

Haven't done this with my A2S, but with others DJIs (MA2, MA, P34K)... I put the battery in the drone and charged it thru the drone. For some reason that wakes up the battery. Leave it for a few hours... take it off charge, let it sit for an hour. Then put it in the external charger and it should start charging again.
The Air 2S doesn't allow charging through the drone, only the charger itself or the charging hub!

Reactions: kerryp24
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTBennett00