DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s battery life when used on the ground for photography

Vgramatikov

Reactions
Hi there,

I wish to know how much battery life i will expect from Air 2s while mounted on tripod(on the ground) and used only for remote photography and monitoring. (no flying, no video, only monitoring and photography).

Not sure anyone has done this, though I suspect that the batteries will not last much longer than advertised and the drone may not like sitting stationary without flying for extended periods even with the internal cooling fan running. Though I am not sure about that...

Reactions: twickers14
The drone will be outside on the field - wildlife monitoring and photography. I saw some discussion that due to less charge needed than flying battery must run about 2-3 hours. Overheating is may be a problem but with internal fan and working on the field on tripod (not on the ground) should be not very bad. Just i want the operational range and battery to last some 2-3 hours.

Hello from the Crossroads of America Vgramatikov.

Since the MA2s has a cooling fan and it shouldn't overheat, get a stopwatch and see how long it stays ON while watching T.V. or something else to pass the time.

The app should display the battery level % as you are using it. Obviously it won't show the flight time since you're not flying.

Good luck and welcome to the Forum. 😎

Reactions: Zeke
Good day. I don`t have a drone but considering buying air 2s for regular flights but also to use it like above mentioned. There is no info on the internet for standby (non flying operations) battery times. Some people considered 3 hours with some mathematical calculations. The drone still running all systems and processors except flying. It will be interesting how much will last in photo mode on the ground. I have friends informed me that with no battery left on the ground they still can use it for about 10-15 min. Some used it handheld but no battery information. Suggesting that will be somewhere between 1-2 and 3 hours but there is nobody to confirm that.

Reactions: MA2 317
Greetings from Birmingham Alabama USA, welcome to the forum!

Reactions: MA2 317
I have never just let my Air 2S run as a ground camera without flying but I have let one of my older drones run in my living room to bring the battery down to storage level. I can tell you it took many hours. Way longer then the 24 minute advertised flight time. If there is nothing taxing the battery then it should last for hours.

Last edited:
I have never just let my Air 2S run as a ground camera without flying but I have let one of my older drones run in my living room to bring the battery down to storage level. I can tell you it took all night and then some. Way longer then the 24 minute advertised flight time. If there is nothing taxing the battery then it should last for hours.
thanks man :) Nice info.

Hi there,

I wish to know how much battery life i will expect from Air 2s while mounted on tripod(on the ground) and used only for remote photography and monitoring. (no flying, no video, only monitoring and photography).
I’ve done it on my MPP to capture time lapse of near field objects. I’ve recorded for over an hour with no problems. Didn’t use an external fan. Here’s the results of time lapse of events that occur longer than a drone can fly… pay notice to the movement of sun shadows.

Some used it handheld but no battery information. Suggesting that will be somewhere between 1-2 and 3 hours but there is nobody to confirm that.

Well, for what it's worth, I put this thread to a test when I got home from work.

The MA2 uses the same battery as the MA2s, so I started with a fresh battery ( 46 cycles) 2 hours and 40 minutes ago with 6% left.

It's 80° F, partly cloudy, and the MA2 was on the deck just chillin' in the shade with the props off for safety.

I have seen a hand gimbal like this that might be handy if you want to be portable.

You could use this set up as a remote PTZ (pan,tilt,zoom) camera.

If you long press on the screen and drag your finger, you can move the camera around to see stuff. The zoom works too. :)

Have fun experimenting.

Reactions: Vgramatikov
Yeah my maan. Good info. So up to about 3 hours max. How was the overheating?

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Yeah my maan. Good info. So up to about 3 hours max. How was the overheating?

No heating issues.

The battery levels were green in all cells and the temperature of the battery was 44.5 C / 112 F.

Nice. Check it out some images with Sony rx0 (similar sensor size) but only 20m wi-fi range. Its much smaller and stealth btw but the drone provides more comfort and range. Price is similar but with the drone you have a drone at the end of the day.

Attachments

• 133998036_10159130817573459_992542883454242035_n (1).jpg
    133998036_10159130817573459_992542883454242035_n (1).jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 13
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    61.5 KB · Views: 13
👍

I’ve done it on my MPP to capture time lapse of near field objects. I’ve recorded for over an hour with no problems. Didn’t use an external fan. Here’s the results of time lapse of events that occur longer than a drone can fly… pay notice to the movement of sun shadows.
What a great video, and your video "After the Winter" is remarkable. Never seen anything like it.

What a great video, and your video "After the Winter" is remarkable. Never seen anything like it.
I have to agree the After Winter video is just great. Loved the winter to spring transitions. Care to give a little tutorial on how its done or point me to a youtube video on the process?

Reactions: Vgramatikov
I have to agree the After Winter video is just great. Loved the winter to spring transitions. Care to give a little tutorial on how its done or point me to a youtube video on the process?
Read the youtube comments including the replies. He mentions "how" there.
I would like to learn more, though, like you.

Read the youtube comments including the replies. He mentions "how" there.
I would like to learn more, though, like you.
Okay thanks for the heads up. I think most of it is a layered transition where one fades out to give way to the under lying video but the one that starts at 2:38 and rolls away rather then fades is really cool.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Michael N