DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S - effect of prop guards on obstacle avoidance

Topwind

Reactions
Just got the Air 2S and love it. I also purchased prop guards. With the guards on, I began some test flights to become familiar with obstacle avoidance. The setting was to avoid the obstacle, not hover. Each time I approached the obstacle, it hovered in place a safe distance away, but would not continue above it. After removing the prop guards, keeping the same settings, the 2S avoided the obstacle, by rising up, and then continued at the same height. Have any of you experienced the same difficulty with the prop guard? There is a warning that comes up that indicates it senses the guards on the 2S and that performance will be affected. No indication of what that those effects might be. Distance and height limits were not impacted by the guards. Regarding the functioning obstacle avoidance, when it worked, the 2S went above the obstacle, but did not resume the original height after passing it. It remained higher. Is this to be expected?

I would expect that if it can tell that the guards are on it won't bypass obstacles because it can't judge the distance needed to do so or rather is programmed not to try to judge said distance but rather safely stop. Not sure but that's my educated guess.

Thanks for sharing.

Just got the Air 2S and love it. I also purchased prop guards. With the guards on, I began some test flights to become familiar with obstacle avoidance. The setting was to avoid the obstacle, not hover. Each time I approached the obstacle, it hovered in place a safe distance away, but would not continue above it. After removing the prop guards, keeping the same settings, the 2S avoided the obstacle, by rising up, and then continued at the same height. Have any of you experienced the same difficulty with the prop guard? There is a warning that comes up that indicates it senses the guards on the 2S and that performance will be affected. No indication of what that those effects might be. Distance and height limits were not impacted by the guards. Regarding the functioning obstacle avoidance, when it worked, the 2S went above the obstacle, but did not resume the original height after passing it. It remained higher. Is this to be expected?
Since the "S" is so new - doubtful many people have encountered issues like you have and more likely few use the prop guards.

Would suggest doing more research on "obstacle avoidance" and features. Would think there are several videos / explanations on YouTube with and without prop guards or many even on the DJI website. They tend to cover such subjects for people buying the "new" product and understanding it's features.

Thanks fo sharing

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada