DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S is MUCH Louder than Air 2! Normal or not?

Yaros

Reactions
Hello, just wondering about this because it is pretty strange. I bought an Air 2 while my friend bought an Air 2S. We flew both drones the same way & path but not at the same time. His Air 2S seems at least 3 times louder than my Air 2. Is that normal? We could clearly hear the Air 2S from 100 meters, while the Air 2 is almost unbearable at 40 meters when hovering...
I also brought my big S500 drone for comparison, with big propellers (9.45 inch) and yet we heard it less than the Air 2S, that was surprising!

Reactions: Lob's Falcon
Hello, just wondering about this because it is pretty strange. I bought an Air 2 while my friend bought an Air 2S. We flew both drones the same way & path but not at the same time. His Air 2S seems at least 3 times louder than my Air 2. Is that normal? We could clearly hear the Air 2S from 100 meters, while the Air 2 is almost unbearable at 40 meters when hovering...
I also brought my big S500 drone for comparison, with big propellers (9.45 inch) and yet we heard it less than the Air 2S, that was surprising!
This guy thinks they are the same:

Could be weather factors into it as well who knows, but O don’t tell much if any difference

I've owned both. I find the Air2s to be louder. I think it may be due to the slight increase in weight and smaller prop size of the Air2s, causing a little bit more air turbulence and a higher frequency. Human hearing is more sensitive to higher pitched noise. Interesting enough, I actually find my Mav3 to be quieter than my air2s. The Air2s blades are smaller than both the Mav Air2 and the Mav 3. Thus, I suspect they may be making a higher pitched frequency.

Reactions: Yaros
I have an Air 2s and a friend has an Air 2, and we often fly together. I really can't tell any difference between the two.
Really strange!! When I fly with my friend I can hear his drone when it's 500 meters away, and mine only until it's 150 meters away!

I've owned both. I find the Air2s to be louder. I think it may be due to the slight increase in weight and smaller prop size of the Air2s, causing a little bit more air turbulence and a higher frequency. Human hearing is more sensitive to higher pitched noise. Interesting enough, I actually find my Mav3 to be quieter than my air2s. The Air2s blades are smaller than both the Mav Air2 and the Mav 3. Thus, I suspect they may be making a higher pitched frequency.
The air2s props are suppose to be the same as the air 2 only different color tips.
The batteries interchange just like the props.Unless something changed but I don't think so

The air2s props are suppose to be the same as the air 2 only different color tips.
The batteries interchange just like the props.Unless something changed but I don't think so
I never read the props to be interchangeable. I always read the M Air2 had slightly larger props than the Air2S. I never tried interchanging them though. I wish I knew they were interchangable.

You could try testing the Air2S with the Air2 props just to see.

I did try to swap the props, same thing. Air 2S is still louder, but good point though!
I believe the Air2s is heavier, thus the increased prop noise. Also, it's slight increased weight due to the camera, I assume, is the reason it has a slightly lower flight time than the MavAir2

Reactions: Yaros
I did try to swap the props, same thing. Air 2S is still louder, but good point though!
Air 2 props are slightly longer and will hit the raised part of the fuselage near the upward sensors. I'm surprised you didn't see this when you swapped. A2S Props can work on the MA2 but I wouldn't want to fly with shorter props for obvious reasons. I have Master Airscrew Stealth on the MA2 and can't fly with the original ones any more, they used to seem quite but I'm spoiled by the MAS Stealth ones and the original's sound obnoxious now, lol! Tell your buddy they make Stealth props for the A2S now. He might want to try them if he wants to decrease the pitch and make the A2S seem quieter.

Air 2 props are slightly longer and will hit the raised part of the fuselage near the upward sensors. I'm surprised you didn't see this when you swapped. A2S Props can work on the MA2 but I wouldn't want to fly with shorter props for obvious reasons. I have Master Airscrew Stealth on the MA2 and can't fly with the original ones any more, they used to seem quite but I'm spoiled by the MAS Stealth ones and the original's sound obnoxious now, lol! Tell your buddy they make Stealth props for the A2S now. He might want to try them if he wants to decrease the pitch and make the A2S seem quieter.
Props are interchangeable, I tried it!
Props are the same
I remembered now; the ones that hit the fuselage were the Master Airscrew Stealth for MA2. Customer did a review with pictures of his A2S all chewed up by the upward sensors, and bitched about it. Master Airscrew replied: The props are for Mavic Air 2. You have an Air 2S. That's why you had a problem, lol! MAS tends to lengthen props to the limit sometimes and this obviously pointed out the difference. There must be clearance issues since DJI specifically warns MA2 props should not be used on A2S.

I remembered now; the ones that hit the fuselage were the Master Airscrew Stealth for MA2. Customer did a review with pictures of his A2S all chewed up by the upward sensors, and bitched about it. Master Airscrew replied: The props are for Mavic Air 2. You have an Air 2S. That's why you had a problem, lol! MAS tends to lengthen props to the limit sometimes and this obviously pointed out the difference. There must be clearance issues since DJI specifically warns MA2 props should not be used on A2S.
Hm, Not sure where you got that info, but for the low noise propellers it's not correct. The Mavic Air and Air 2S low noise props are exactly the same. Low noise props are the default that ship with both models.

Model number, diameter, thread pitch, weight, all exactly the same. Both pages list both models as compatible.

1641586330496.png

Reactions: Wreckhunter
Hm, Not sure where you got that info, but for the low noise propellers it's not correct. The Mavic Air and Air 2S low noise props are exactly the same. Low noise props are the default that ship with both models.

Model number, diameter, thread pitch, weight, all exactly the same. Both pages list both models as compatible.

View attachment 141475
Read the last part of his post. He was talking about the MAS Stealth props. It is true they are different. A few videos were made of it on Youtube. If you go to the MAS site you'll see that the MA2 props are not compatible with the MA2S and the MA2S props are compatible with the MA2.

It’s noisy!

I just got one of these and it’s much much louder than my M3 and my M2E!

The stock props for the A2 and the A2S are the same other than the tip colours.

It escapes me how DJI is "allowed" to market their props as "low noise". If they ARE low noise, I'd hate to hear what "normal noise" would sound like! lol
I have the Airscrew Stealth on my Air 2s. It isn't any less noisier with them, but they do lower the pitch (sound) just a bit, enough to make it more acceptable anyway.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom