DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S or Mavic 3 right now?

wco81

Reactions
I've held off from upgrading because of all the various problems people post about in the Mavic 3 forum.

I know some people rave about the results, looking beyond problems like GPS acquisition.

I don't know if it's feature complete, like hyper lapses and Master Shots.

So Mavic 3 certainly has much greater potential but I also worry that it won't be in compliance with future US and EU regulations like CE mark label int he latter, which would greatly restrict where you can operate it -- I'm am American but have flown a lot in the EU and hope to do more.

The possibility of spending $5000 and then having some new EU regulation limit where it's legally allowed to operate would be the biggest uncertainty.

Is Air 2S feature-complete? Is it's firmware stable or are they still releasing new ones still every few weeks or months?

I have Mavic 2 Pro but apparently the sensors are offline after a crash and I've mostly been flying in Tripod mode for smooth pans and stable flights, panos and hyper lapses.

So I'm in a market sooner than I had planned to be.

I'd fix the M2P or get it repaired rather than go for a new drone, especially with the EU rules hal-a-bah-loo

I'd fix the M2P or get it repaired rather than go for a new drone, especially with the EU rules hal-a-bah-loo
I'm going to look into repairs but if I send it to DJI, it may take weeks.

Meanwhile, have another trip planned in June and I'd like to have it for that time.

I am researching local repair shops.

I have a few thoughts....
If we compare the Air2s, M3 and M2P, it comes down to one important question and one less important one:
1) Do we NEED the extra resolution that the M3 provides and is it worth the extra cost?
What's the biggest resolution needed for a client that is going to be turned over to the client and how will they use view the imaging. Without a side-by-side comparison on hand, would they even know if (in my case the M2P) my footage was lacking in resolution and crispness of detail? Tweaked in post, I doubt it, at least for this time. If it's going on Facebook, twitter or their website, will the resolution different be an issue at all???

2) The second issue is the need for variable aperture. I find the variable aperture of the M2P a great feature as I can guess the ND needed within a stop or two and make adjustments literally on the fly. The M3 has that feature, but the Air2s does not and has a fixed aperture, so if you want to use and ND filter, you have to be pretty spot on with your calculations because you cannot adjust the aperture. But having said that, the cinematic blur effect is only critical when flying near something so it doesn't look artificial. I also have a Mini2 with fixed aperture and I haven't bothered to buy ND filters because I don't think the blur effect is so critical and can live with the footage where the detail is crisp rather than blurred. But again I don't have to worry about it because I have the M2P and filters and can just choose the M2, at least if I'm flying in the US.

A refurbished Air2s with the flymore combo will be under $1200 USD. I bought a refurb M2P and it was new down to the packaging. The Air2s takes great photos and videos, though your M2P could probably be fixed for a lot less and will have the features (particularly on the controller) that the Air2s and M3basic do not have.

My opinion? Pay to fix your M2P. If you want to upgrade to the M3 at some point in the future, wait a few months until the M3's become available as refurbs and save a few hundred dollars. And if you don't want to put money into your M2, then, unless the extra res of the M3 is critical and you have the extra cash, the Air2s takes terrific stills and video. Again, will you NEED that resolution? Also keep in mind that M3 crashes will cost you more out of pocket (with DJI Care/Refresh) than all their other prosumer models. JMO

Well there is exactly one shop advertising repairs of DJI drones in all of the Bay Area.

Again I need a turnaround in about 3-4 weeks so I will see what they say. I think if I send it into DJI it may take way longer and I may get an estimate which is way more than I'm willing to pay.

I searched for refurbs of M2P, none around. Some new units being sold but they are way above what they were new, talking way over $2000. At that point I might as well buy the Mavic 3.

Variable aperture I haven't used much in my M2P. My recollection was that the sharpest the lens got was 4.5 to 5.6 or something like that and I've pretty much shot it at just that.

I'd be interested in the image quality comparisons between the M2P and Air2S.

Also the video output. M2P can't produce the best 4K output so I'm using video in the slightly cropped mode, forget what they call it but it was based on discussions here and elsewhere that I set it. IIRC, it was a limitation of the processor at the time so I'd be curious if they fixed that for the Air2S.

I'm going to look into repairs but if I send it to DJI, it may take weeks.

Meanwhile, have another trip planned in June and I'd like to have it for that time.

I am researching local repair shops.
I've had excellent experiences with Thunderdrones Duluth Georgia USA.Fast turnaround,responsive,and fair pricing.I had thoughts of the Mavic 3 but for my use(up to 20x24 prints)the incremental quality increase doesn't seem worth it.The Mavic 2 Pro is tried and true.

Reactions: rp6
Well I'm in CA so I don't know if a GA company will work for getting the drone back in time.

But today, I was able to fly my M2P despite "Visual System Error" label in red on the upper left hand corner of my controller screen.

So it's functional but I will still look into repairs.

Well I'm in CA so I don't know if a GA company will work for getting the drone back in time.

But today, I was able to fly my M2P despite "Visual System Error" label in red on the upper left hand corner of my controller screen.

So it's functional but I will still look into repairs.
He will work with you.Try a call or email to inquire about turnaround.If your desparate UPS 2nd day isn't too much or if you're flush overnight.

So Mavic 3 certainly has much greater potential but I also worry that it won't be in compliance with future US and EU regulations like CE mark label int he latter, which would greatly restrict where you can operate it -- I'm am American but have flown a lot in the EU and hope to do more.
With Air 2S being over 500 grams both are at same line currently.
Meaning without A2 license you can't fly them in "densely populated" areas.
Open Category - Civil Drones | EASA
A2 license would allow flying sub 2kg drones in cities during transition period of rules (untill end of 23) and after that both move permanently to A3, unless they get C1 certified.
(or regulationds get changed/NAAs add national exemptions)

DJI told after Mavic 3release that they're working to get it certified and weight is clearly designed to fit into C1.
DJI 'working on assuring compliance' for Mavic 3 in Europe
But issue is that complete specifications for classes and remote ID are still WIP.
For Air 2S DJI hasn't said anything, though compliancy is possibly up to adding remote ID to firmware.

So the only place near me which advertises drone repairs quoted $175 for labor and $100-200 for parts, mainly the glass cover or lenses for the top sensors.

Potentially almost $400 for repair.

Hmmm, still cheaper than buying a new drone I guess.

Or maybe I test more to see if it still operates fine despite the red Visual System Error warning.

I did try a couple of flights with that error showing in the DJI Go app and I haven't seen any sign of any functions being impaired, including automated flights like hyper lapse.

Another vote here for keeping/fixing the M2P. It is telling that DJI decided to discontinue the 2 Pro as it would have surely hurt the sales of the M3 (and possibly those of the Air 2S), especially considering the rough start to the M3's introduction.

I have a MA2 and I'm holding out hope for a Air3 release in the next 6-9 months. I really like the MA2 but the Air2s performs much better in low light conditions.
same boat just don't want to wait another 6-9 months + time for them to fix firmware bugs. I got spoiled on the M3 images before I sent it back... I love my Air2 but I shoot a lot of low light and I know I am missing out.

I've only ever had one time where I used DJI refresh but they got it back to me in less than 2 weeks. Maybe see if they can give you a time table.

The thread was started in April earlier in the year and has been bumped, just in case anyone is reading the earlier posts and is confused since the situation is quite a bit different now for the Mavic 3 to the degree it may be worth just locking this thread and if someone else is considering the two drones they can start another.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mavic 3 classic User