DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2s stated acting up during active track

Macabre

Reactions
I'm on Rhodes and used active track to walk through the medieval town.
Worked great until I got out, started walking near the beach and went below a buss station where it lost me.

I tried to control the drone but it wouldn't budge for a couple of minutes. It was just hovering in spot, even after I turned off active track.

I somehow managed to get it to move to me (just some 10 meters away) but it simply refused to land.

To make the matter worse, I walked near the tourist port where both private security and the police got triggered ?
They started yelling to land the drone and I was like "I can't, it's refusing to land".
It didn't want to go lower than 1m to land and trying to land through the app didn't work either.
I turned in sport mode and shot the drone up in the air some 15m which further annoyed the security but I managed to land it then.

I have no idea what happened. It wasn't authorization zone according to the geofence but it is within the airport zone (still allowed to fly up to 150m).

So what the heck happened here? Some bug?

Last edited:
You will probably be asked for the flight logs.
Assuming it is possible with the air 2s and that it follows the 'normal' file structure, there are instructions for getting those on DJI Flight Log Viewer | Phantom Help
One question I would ask is, if it was down to 1m off the ground did you not think of hand catching it?
As a last resort hand catching and then tilting it to 90deg is likely to stop the motors, just make sure you have a good grip and keep your fingers etc. away from the props.

I'm on Rhodes and used active track to walk through the medieval town.
Worked great until I got out, started walking near the beach and went below a buss station where it lost me.

I tried to control the drone but it wouldn't budge for a couple of minutes. It was just hovering in spot, even after I turned off active track.

I somehow managed to get it to move to me (just some 10 meters away) but it simply refused to land.

To make the matter worse, I walked near the tourist port where both private security and the police got triggered ?
They started yelling to land the drone and I was like "I can't, it's refusing to land".
It didn't want to go lower than 1m to land and trying to land through the app didn't work either.
I turned in sport mode and shot the drone up in the air some 15m which further annoyed the security but I managed to land it then.

I have no idea what happened. It wasn't authorization zone according to the geofence but it is within the airport zone (still allowed to fly up to 150m).

So what the heck happened here? Some bug?
GPS / satellite / signal loss issue it seems.

I've had this issue using active track, and doing just what you did was the cure for me, switching modes on the controller.

I've yet to have a satisfying experience with any of the active track functions, unfortunately, so I don't even think of using them anymore. :(

Reactions: pommy
When you want to get out of a jam , switch to sport mode to turn off all your obstacle sensors. If allready in sport mode, switch back to normal, then back to sports mode. Sounds like your drone was having issues with it's surroundings. It didn't like what it saw around it and on the ground so the obstacle sensors kept it from moving or landing. That is, until you switched to sports mode. I have had to do that a few times.

Edit: this has always been a pet peave of mine. All the automation on these drones without being able to turn it off in an instant and or take over manually at will.

Reactions: pommy
The same happened to my friend's Air 2S when we were active tracking in the forest! It wasn't just landing, it was going up into the leaves when we tried to hand-catch it! I guess it's a bug but turning off the sensors in the Safety Settings seemed to work, you can also switch into Sport Mode and try to land very slowly. If none of these work the last thing you could try, it's a little dangerous but oh well, is grabbing the drone out of the air fast and flipping it on a side more than 90 degrees, after a couple seconds it will think it crashed and turn off. NOTE: It's not very good for the IMU, but you can do it if no other options work.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
swigmofa