DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S Uncontrollable on first flight. Scary.

Yochanan757

Reactions
First Flight heckin scary.
Everything updated.
I have four other DJI Drones.
I took off with the Air 2s and it would only climb and not descend. Limited forward movement and turning. No backward control.
Would not land as it gave the message, “Surface not suitable for landing.” at about 7 feet.

RTH gave me the same message and would not land.
Finally, Battery RTH kicked in but would not land.
I kicked the left stick, jogging it a couple of feet down until it landed.

WTF happened there?
Iphone SE plugged in and used with the RC. Newest DJI 4 updated.
Ideas?

Duhh. Maybe part of the problem. I connected with DJI-4 through the Mavic Air prompts and it gave me no prohibitions.
Thanks.

@Yochanan757 a very strange tale indeed
your very lucky it didnt just take off into the blue yonder

You don't need any app to start up and take off.
That's true, but if there was the Go 4 app running, maybe somehow it was interfering!

You don't need any app to start up and take off.
I realize that but it would seem weird looking at your screen thinking that it's connected to the app when it's not.
Edit: You also gotta figure if the Fly app was never used before on the drone (zero settings changed) and none of the calibrations were ever done how the drone would react. Probably like it did.

Last edited:
Reactions: Yochanan757
It's weird it even let you take off. You have to download the Fly app through DJI's website.
Not necessarily. Theoretically you can fly without a phone or app. Another reason why I like the Mavic 2 controller better, should my phone die or get disconnected mid flight. Data on the LED screen if the phone isn't available.

I realize that but it would seem weird looking at your screen thinking that it's connected to the app when it's not.
Edit: You also gotta figure if the Fly app was never used before on the drone (zero settings changed) and none of the calibrations were ever done how the drone would react. Probably like it did.
All the settings that matter are saved in the drone, not the app, so that wouldn't matter.
No calibrations are required, even with a brand new drone, so that wouldn't make any difference.

Reactions: maggior
I must report: 2nd flight with DJI fly app was a very impressive experience.
Gobsmacked.
I found the perfect travel-drone.
Air2s is clearly, the best deal out there.
Now…..to keep or not to keep the P4P-1.?

Reactions: Tufargon
All the settings that matter are saved in the drone, not the app, so that wouldn't matter.
No calibrations are required, even with a brand new drone, so that wouldn't make any difference.
Those settings are done in the app first then saved to the drone. Who knows what factory settings are if you don't attach a device to see them. I've never flown any drone without going through the settings at least once. So according to what you are saying the controls should not have done what they did for the OP. There seems to be no problems now that he is using the fly app. 4 would not have even connected or recognized the drone.

Reactions: Yochanan757
Those settings are done in the app first then saved to the drone. Who knows what factory settings are if you don't attach a device to see them.
The settings in the drone are the settings in the drone.
Connecting or not connecting a device makes no difference.
To change the settings, you need to have a device connected and then go into the app and make changes.

4 would not have even connected or recognized the drone.
[/QUOTE]
Well the Go 4 clearly responded to my different commands, but only by telling me it didn’t like what the drone was seeing. And the drone camera picture and movie and photo commands all responded in the Go4.
It did take a movie that it stored.
The sticks were somewhat useable for a bare minimum of movements, mostly UP, with most inputs.
RTH took it to Home but would not allow movement below 7 feet, even with the battery expiring.
Finally, short downward jogs with the left stick brought it down to 2 feet and then landed.

Kids, Don’t try that at home……..or anywhere……EVER

The settings in the drone are the settings in the drone.
Connecting or not connecting a device makes no difference.
To change the settings, you need to have a device connected and then go into the app and make changes.
And you don't know what they are until you connect a device. As I said.
Why did the drone act the way it did?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada