DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S vs. M2P camera quality

BraveProgram

Reactions
I still love the Hasselblad camera on the Mavic 2 Pro, but I'm really curious what this thing can bring to the table with the 1-inch sensor. Anybody willing to guess how the quality between these two drones would compare against each other?

I still love the Hasselblad camera on the Mavic 2 Pro, but I'm really curious what this thing can bring to the table with the 1-inch sensor. Anybody willing to guess how the quality between these two drones would compare against each other?
Guessing isn't going to give you facts.
Wait just a little longer and find out for real what the differences are.

It’s sounding like the MA2s will be a replacement for the M2Pro in the lineup. The rumors I am hearing is the MA2s will have a 20MP 1” classic bayer filter sensor with 10 bit color video and shoot 5.4k at up to 30p and 4k up to 60p.

It may not have an adjustable aperture which isn’t a huge deal but I definitely prefer adjustable over fixed.

The MA2s almost certainly will have an HDR video mode, though, I wasn’t too impressed with that feature in the MA2, though with a classic bayer filter it may be better (or worse.)

Incremental technology improvements assumes the bit rate will be at least 120mbps and better dynamic range than the M2Pro.

I actually think the MA2s is shaping up to be closer to what we expected an incremental upgrade to the Mavic 2 Pro or a Mavic 3 to look like than a successor to the Mavic Air 2. If all the rumors are true then either this is our Mavic 3 or the eventual Mavic 3 will be radically different from the Mavic 2 Pro.

One thing I find really interesting in the rumors is what they call “Spotlight 2.0.” This is interesting because one feature of the Inspire 2 that is invaluable is called Spotlight Pro which locks the camera onto the tracking subject while allowing you to fly the drone manually. The way it is done in the Inspire 2 which makes it so flexible is you can combine Spotlight Pro with any and all flight modes. So you can use it in Sport mode, waypoints, tapfly, etc. I really hope this functionality makes it into the Air 2s.

If the Mavic Air 2s really can do 5.4k in 10-bits this will really be a big step up. The major complaint with the Mavic 2 Pro was that in 4k it had to window the sensor to get the best quality, “HQ mode,” which meant you no longer were filming with a 1” sensor and took a noise hit because of that. If the MA2s can record the full width of the sensor this will no longer be an issue.

I don’t expect the photo quality of the MA2s will be much different from the M2P

Last edited:
Reactions: GarthH
It’s sounding like the MA2s will be a replacement for the M2Pro in the lineup. The rumors I am hearing is the MA2s will have a 20MP 1” classic bayer filter sensor with 10 bit color video and shoot 5.4k at up to 30p and 4k up to 60p.

It may not have an adjustable aperture which isn’t a huge deal but I definitely prefer adjustable over fixed.

The MA2s almost certainly will have an HDR video mode, though, I wasn’t too impressed with that feature in the MA2, though with a classic bayer filter it may be better (or worse.)

Incremental technology improvements assumes the bit rate will be at least 120mbps and better dynamic range than the M2Pro.

I actually think the MA2s is shaping up to be closer to what we expected an incremental upgrade to the Mavic 2 Pro or a Mavic 3 to look like than a successor to the Mavic Air 2. If all the rumors are true then either this is our Mavic 3 or the eventual Mavic 3 will be radically different from the Mavic 2 Pro.

One thing I find really interesting in the rumors is what they call “Spotlight 2.0.” This is interesting because one feature of the Inspire 2 that is invaluable is called Spotlight Pro which locks the camera onto the tracking subject while allowing you to fly the drone manually. The way it is done in the Inspire 2 which makes it so flexible is you can combine Spotlight Pro with any and all flight modes. So you can use it in Sport mode, waypoints, tapfly, etc. I really hope this functionality makes it into the Air 2s.

If the Mavic Air 2s really can do 5.4k in 10-bits this will really be a big step up. The major complaint with the Mavic 2 Pro was that in 4k it had to window the sensor to get the best quality, “HQ mode,” which meant you no longer were filming with a 1” sensor and took a noise hit because of that. If the MA2s can record the full width of the sensor this will no longer be an issue.

I don’t expect the photo quality of the MA2s will be much different from the M2P
Hi Brett - do you think the MA2s is worth the $300 premium over the MA2? Comparing the FlyMore bundles. On the fence right now between the MA2 and MA2s.

The release of the new MA2S has piqued my interest and it will be interesting to see what the final specs will be. For me, a 20MP, 1 inch sensor with an adjustable aperture is a minimum. The video resolution is of no interest to me as I mostly take photos. The cost vs the features I want is also important to me. I find the M2P overpriced considering how long it has been on the market. Maybe the new MA2S will result in some M2P price reductions ?

Chris

The release of the new MA2S has piqued my interest and it will be interesting to see what the final specs will be. For me, a 20MP, 1 inch sensor with an adjustable aperture is a minimum. The video resolution is of no interest to me as I mostly take photos. The cost vs the features I want is also important to me. I find the M2P overpriced considering how long it has been on the market. Maybe the new MA2S will result in some M2P price reductions [emoji1696]

Chris

No adjustable aperture, 2.8

Reactions: Paul2660
No adjustable aperture, 2.8
For me this is not a big deal. On the M2P the adjustable aperture only only benefits from the adjustable aperture in that stopping down to f/5.6 produces marginally sharper results. The lens is too wide, sensor too small, and most focus distances too far with a drone to produce shallow depth of field. Even with the Inspire 2 that has a f/1.7 lens I just keep it at f/5.6 the whole time.

You could make the argument that adjustable aperture can be used instead of ND filters but I can live without that especially if it reduces the cost.

Reactions: Greenflash
I'll be doing a comparison video when I can get ahold of one. Probably next week. I'll borrow one from my local dealer.

This isn't the replacement for the Mavic 2 Pro. The lack of adjustable aperture is evidence of that. But the 4k @ 60fps is certainly a nice upgrade. I'll wait for the Mavic 3 (5 months or so...) before I do any serious considering of upgrading my current workhorse, which is the M2P.

I'll be doing a comparison video when I can get ahold of one. Probably next week. I'll borrow one from my local dealer.

This isn't the replacement for the Mavic 2 Pro. The lack of adjustable aperture is evidence of that. But the 4k @ 60fps is certainly a nice upgrade. I'll wait for the Mavic 3 (5 months or so...) before I do any serious considering of upgrading my current workhorse, which is the M2P.
I am really just curious, what do you use the adjustable aperture for?

I am really just curious, what do you use the adjustable aperture for?
Better control of the shutter for video. Plus when you don't have an adjustable shutter, you don't have a "sweet spot" for sharpness on the lens. Typically 4 or so stops down from wide open is the sharpest point for a lens.

Stopping down for sharpness is moot since the lens isn’t the limiting factor when using the m2p full sensor. In 1/1 crop mode maybe but for flexible shutter control ND is needed anyway.

HDR on the MA2 is a function of the quad sensor, so the 1” sensor won’t be able to do it the same way. The sensor in the MA2 can take multiple exposures of the same frame at the same time. The new sensor won’t be able to, but will probably have greater dynamic range to start with.

the benefit of the 1” sensor will mostly be low light performance. The MA2 is already very close to the 2 Pro in good lighting, and better in some ways (sharpness and HDR mode).

for low light it will be no contest. The new sensor will enable dusk and even night flying. That will be worth it for many.

Stopping down for sharpness is moot since the lens isn’t the limiting factor when using the m2p full sensor. In 1/1 crop mode maybe but for flexible shutter control ND is needed anyway.
It’s a matter of physics, so it’s not moot

HDR on the MA2 is a function of the quad sensor, so the 1” sensor won’t be able to do it the same way. The sensor in the MA2 can take multiple exposures of the same frame at the same time. The new sensor won’t be able to, but will probably have greater dynamic range to start with.
All of my HDR work is done by me. No automated HDR is good enough for what I give my clients

the benefit of the 1” sensor will mostly be low light performance. The MA2 is already very close to the 2 Pro in good lighting, and better in some ways (sharpness and HDR mode).
“Very close” isn’t good enough.
for low light it will be no contest. The new sensor will enable dusk and even night flying. That will be worth it for many.
The 1” will be nice to see.

I tend to agree. I think it maybe true that stopping down does give you a slight edge in sharpness but I’m not sure it’s really all that noticeable
True but other bayer sensor cameras can do this too exploiting the rolling shutter.

So let me ask you this. At this point, what are your expectations for a Mavic 3 that the Mavic Air 2s doesn’t have? Besides the already mentioned adjustable aperture.
No idea. I'm not a fan of speculation. But a non-fixed aperture will be its main benefit. Other than that, I guess we'll wait and see. Assuming it comes out.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KevinStudent