DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S vs M2P vs M3 -- Trying to choose the ideal option.

Vociferate

Reactions
As the title states, I am looking for the correct outfit for my next drone.

I am concerned about many of the reviews I have seen about the M3. Mainly software and features. I understand there was an update in January, but I have not seen many reviews post update.

I know the M2P is still an amazing work horse, but looking at the specs of the Air 2S I am almost leaning towards this over the M2P.

Can anyone break it down for who has used all 3?

Money isn't an issue as it will be purchased through my business as part of our expenditures for this financial year. But only 1 drone will be purchased, with remainder being used for digital SLR upgrades/accessories.

Last edited:
MP2 should be M2P (Mavic 2 Pro) and MP3 should be M3 (Mavic 3).

M2P is the last DJI consumer drone which supports the built-in Waypoints feature and its price and performance is good.

M3 is superb and it is a must-to-have drone. But, it does not support Waypoints feature anymore. A2S is the same.

So, if MP2 is still available, then getting an M2P and M3 is the best option.

Reactions: Vociferate
MP2 should be M2P (Mavic 2 Pro) and MP3 should be M3 (Mavic 3).

M2P is the last DJI consumer drone which supports the built-in Waypoints feature and its price and performance is good.

M3 is superb and it is a must-to-have drone. But, it does not support Waypoints feature anymore. A2S is the same.

So, if MP2 is still available, then getting an M2P and M3 is the best option.

Thanks for the explanation on abbreviations. I will update the post. :)

As for the M2P -- I really like the idea of Waypoints Feature. Where I am now, there are already a few routes that I have in mind. Having Waypoints would make my shooting a lot more efficient.

Thank you for the reply.

Any input on how the M3 is now performing after the January update?

Regarding the M3 there still seem to be GPS problems amongst other things, have a look over on the DJI forum, then there is EU classification if the latter is relevant to the Azores. Although if the EU classification does matter it will apply to all 3 I think.

Regarding the M3 there still seem to be GPS problems amongst other things, have a look over on the DJI forum, then there is EU classification if the latter is relevant to the Azores. Although if the EU classification does matter it will apply to all 3 I think.
Thank you for advice on EU classifications, I will look into this.

If EU classification is a potential issue, then wait for mini 3 pro. It is basically Mavic 3 pro, but in a smaller package and a future proof purchase especially in the EU. It does not have the hasselblad branding or Color profiles but it has a perfect balance between flight regulations and performance

If EU classification is a potential issue, then wait for mini 3 pro. It is basically Mavic 3 pro, but in a smaller package and a future proof purchase especially in the EU. It does not have the hasselblad branding or Color profiles but it has a perfect balance between flight regulations and performance
The only one I can see being a slight problem is the permission for flying over bodies of water. But from what I saw, it is a small fee. So in the scheme of things, I don't see any major issues versus what I was encountering in the USA/Canada.

It might help to know what you want to do with the drone.
3 main uses which change based on client requests. But I will be working throughout Portugal and Spain.

- Commercial inspection on hard to reach places that normally require rope access. (Funnily enough, I did this for years in oil and gas...)
- Corrosion inspection for at risk areas due to heavy tidal wash or erosion
- Commercial photography/videography used in real estate sales. (This one is the least requested for my work.)

The only one I can see being a slight problem is the permission for flying over bodies of water. But from what I saw, it is a small fee. So in the scheme of things, I don't see any major issues versus what I was encountering in the USA/Canada.
When the new EU regulations are enforced, everything currently available above 250gram will be classified as legacy and not allowed to be operated within 150 meters of any road or living area

Reactions: Gagey52
When the new EU regulations are enforced, everything currently available above 250gram will be classified as legacy and not allowed to be operated within 150 meters of any road or living area
Wow, that is very strict.

How does this impact commercial drone use? I was not planning on being in the EU. I was living and working in Ukraine for the past 2 years. So I was not looking at 'upcoming' or 'future' changes. Just what was already publicized. Due to the obvious war, my life has turned a bit more chaotic...

However... That150 meter rule has the potential to be a huge issue.

Wow, that is very strict.

How does this impact commercial drone use? I was not planning on being in the EU. I was living and working in Ukraine for the past 2 years. So I was not looking at 'upcoming' or 'future' changes. Just what was already publicized. Due to the obvious war, my life has turned a bit more chaotic...

However... That150 meter rule has the potential to be a huge issue.

It IS a huge issue for Europe. People who try to convince you otherwise are invested in old, legacy drones and are basically in denial

It IS a huge issue for Europe. People who try to convince you otherwise are invested in old, legacy drones and are basically in denial
Great link! This is exactly the information I was trying to find, so thank you!

Surely at the moment everything about a POSSIBLE mini 3 is pure SPECULATION feeding a frenzy to whip up interest to encourage people to rush out and buy an untested drone..............OR are you privy to not publicly available information.

Thanks for the explanation on abbreviations. I will update the post. :)

As for the M2P -- I really like the idea of Waypoints Feature. Where I am now, there are already a few routes that I have in mind. Having Waypoints would make my shooting a lot more efficient.

Thank you for the reply.

Any input on how the M3 is now performing after the January update?

In my region, it is quite friendly for using the M3 and I don't have the regulation issue.

I don't have any technical issue of the M3, too.

And, as in my learning, there are many pros using M3. You can also find M3 are largely used in the ukraine civil war. The facts tell many things.

I am very satisfied with the flight of my M3. I use it very intensively.

Please do not only take my words, you can refer to the forum and other users' experiences more.

Here is a good community to learn real-world experience about the M3, too.

Surely at the moment everything about a POSSIBLE mini 3 is pure SPECULATION feeding a frenzy to whip up interest to encourage people to rush out and buy an untested drone..............OR are you privy to not publicly available information.
Yeah the latter. See my post from 2020 when I was shown advanced prototype renders

How would you propose I find such a post? A URL for the thread might be helpful.

Maybe I am being stupid but I see nothing DJI related in that other than stuff saying it was never a contender for any contract and nothing discussing renders. Anyhow this is off topic so best leave it at that.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada