DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S vs. Mavic Air 2 - What’s the Difference?

Reactions

Aside from the name change that is the norm in previous DJI product releases, the newly launched DJI Air 2SS has some significant changes both inside and out. But is it for you, and would it be worth your money to upgrade? Here’s what you can expect with the DJI Air 2S.

The DJI Air 2S has pretty much the same dimensions as its predecessors so some accessories may be compatible with each other. It’s slightly heavier at 600 grams, which is probably because of the 1-inch sensor, the biggest upgrade of the Air 2S over the Mavic Air 2.

While the Mavic Air 2 had the half inch sensor, the Air 2S has the one-inch sensor size 20MP CMOS camera. This sensor size is seen in other DJI drones like the Mavic 2 Pro and Phantom 4 and even in the Autel Evo 2 Pro. However, these drones are considered to be professional-level drones and not intended for the prosumer market like the Air 2S.

He4fdMqwB86gpRJd9XShJlla7OiUKP3U5yaUoMBRBMIVDrISUOugXe9PNHVMeWdAON9u3yrxkPoP__s3w0fGhIM1_4nZSgCgR2pRf5Mq3THbjCTlym6v-JNhvqjoApkiLxVcUMNt

The 1-inch sensor allows for better shots in low-light conditions as well as to shoot videos in 5.4k at 30 fps. The Air 2S can also shoot up 4k up to 60 fps and 1080p at 120 fps. It has also a f/2.8 fixed aperture which should give you more control over your shots.

Another difference between the Air 2S and the Mavic Air 2 is the zooming capability. At 5.4k, the Air 2S can zoom up to three times and up to 8 times at the lowest resolution. This is a big step from the previous version that can only zoom up to six times.

Other smart features and upgrades have been added to the DJI Air 2S to make it a much more adaptive shooting tool. Among these are the 150 max bitrate of the Air 2S versus the 120 bit rate of the Mavic Air 2, and 10-bit D-log over 8-bit of the previous version.

The Air 2S offers improved Panorama and Timelapse function, the latter of which takes advantage of improved footage in low-light situations due to low-light situations plus the ability to stabilize footage after recording, as well as upgraded functionalities on features like FocusTrack and Quickshots modes.

Three big changes in the DJI Ai2 are Mastershots which, based on available material, may be like the Air 2S’s version of the DJI Mimo’s Story Mode. APAS 4.0 is a big step when it comes to obstacle avoidance as the AIr 2S now has additional top sensors that will make flying and utilizing the upgraded ActiveTrack 4.0 that much safer so you can focus more on content creation rather than keeping your bird safely in the air.

Lastly, the DJI Air 2S has O3 transmission, the upgrade from OcuSync 3.0, that was last seen in the recently released DJI FPV Drone. With this feature, you can get a transmission range of up to 12km FCC (8km in CE), an honestly insane range that you can probably reach in perfect conditions.

Speaking of range, the good news is that Mavic Air 2 batteries are compatible with the Air 2S. Flight time is slightly lower, though, and there is no news whether battery swapping will affect the total flight time. There’s also a rumor that the Air 2S will be able to provide users with a more immersive flight experience with FPV goggle and motion controller compatibility, but that has yet to be confirmed.

E6VZLDV6O4eVZ6cuRDzLGHpkUOAsHRt5aqJusdnxi7z5GnNuGFSQ9cfaUGPQ7GFkNgP7AmJWr408h__6Pkod48YEdRFmpWFQoEqBcxqBYN5byB-TzkXXbo6wGopPIoyg4ox4ec_q

All in all, I can say that the difference between the DJI Air 2S and the Mavic Air 2 is quite impressive, especially with the improved 1-inch camera, ActiveTrack 4.0, OcuSync 3.0, and the new Mastershots mode. I’m sure to upgrade from the Mavic Air 2 and you should too if you want to create better quality content using the best camera--to-weight/price prosumer drone in the market today. For me, it’s perfect for content creators, aerial photographers on a budget, and for those who travel a lot (sorry Mini 2!).

Of course, MA2 is still one of the best drones out there right now so ultimately it’s going to be your choice depending on your needs.

I'd agree that the overall upgrade is fairly good and if I didn't already have an Air2 I'd probably get the A2S. The addition of the upward facing sensors and upgrade to the camera and O3( Occusync 3 if you prefer) make the $200 differential between the 2 kits seem reasonable if not exactly gamechanging like the difference between the Air and Air2 while coming in at similar price points. An issue, as I see it, is the pricing. Just like they did with the MM to Mini2 pretty much all of the costly upgrades are in the basic kit but then they also jumped up the cost of the FMC making it less value enhancing. If you're getting all the same stuff, and so far it looks to be identical other than 1 additional ND filter, why is the cost of the FMC( as a stand alone cost added on) going up by an additional $100us?

There is a reason to jump on it: 4+ times larger sensor.

People serious about photography will defintely prefer this over the Air 2.

Amateurs will look at the price difference and go for cheaper.
That's true but again you're paying for that upgrade in the basic kit. The standard kit( where the upgrades are) went up $200 but the FMC went up by $300. Not that I agree with the nickels and dimes of it but at least with the Mini2 you could argue that the new battery chemistry made the FMC price go up. Throw in the car charging adaptor or something here to justify that price increase. I'm not asking to get more while paying less than before, even though they sorta did that with the Air to Air2 upgrade, but don't take away from the value added prospect of the FMC.

DJI is going in an interesting direction. I think they've signaled that tacitly when they dropped the Mavic moniker. They are obviously trying to close ground on the Mavic 2 series and IMO are doing so in a manner that builds the most margin for them with minimal retooling. All will immediately notice the $300 price bump from the MA2 which I believe based on Chinese labor standard probably cost DJI pennies per unit after the new tooling is underwritten, which if the Air2s sells as quickly as the Mini 2 will be underwritten in days or weeks. If they can sell the Mini 2 at $450 with the same controller how much more can the new hardware possibly cost them? 99% of the cost seems to be programming, which is a one time cost plus the updates. The Chinese are really shrewd when it comes to business (and other world related things).

Take note that the MA2 the Mini 2 and the Air2s all use the identical controller. Think about it for a second. A year ago, the MA2, the M2 and the Mini all used different controllers! The MA2/Mini 2 used the DJI Fly app while the M2 and higher end DJI drones used the Go4 app. They seem to have stopped developing for the Go4 and are focused on software upgrades that can link up with some inexpensive hardware changes so are focusing heavily on the DJI Fly app, which provided a number of features for the MA2 absent with the Mavic 2.

The one curious drawback when compared to the Mavic 2 Pro is the lack of a variable aperture which I find extremely useful. While I do use ND filters during daylight flights (mostly gradients) I can ballpark which one I need for the desired shutter speed and can maintain sharpness pretty much within a 3 fstop range, from f2.8-f5.6 which I can adjust in flight from the controller.

I'm sure Ocusync 3.0 will be better than 2.0, claiming a 12km range. Perhaps this will be better for our European brethren that have the CE system rather thant he FCC transmission. Let's face it, the 12km claim is kind of a farce because you won't have enough battery to fly out 12km and come home without an emergency landing or an intercept. However, for reasonable distances it is always good to have excellent signal strength.

Having said all that, it will be good to see how the new model shakes out and if DJI will stop making the MA2. The MA2 for $1000 for the fly more combon is really a great starting place for those who aren't sure if they'll grow into or grow out of their first drone. In some ways I wish that I had started with that one. I could be wrong but I think $1300 will push newbies into the Mini 2 when they might have been on the fence with the MA2 based on price point. I don't know. Just me speculating.

Edit: One more thing (or two)...

The Air2s has a lot of upgrades from the MA2 but it's not going to replace my Mavic 2 Pro. While it has 5k footage and 4k@60fps the one thing that has to be taken into account is the weak link in all this; the camera's lens. While the sensor can capture more data the lens has to be sharp enough to take advantage of that. How much more storage space and processing power will be needed? I suppose it could have an odd appeal to a professional film maker who needs transportability. Will the Air2s be more stable in flight than the Mavic 2 which is rock solid in wind because of it's mass and power? And that controller. The Mavic 2 is lighter, has more controls and has a display. Why do you suppose DJI has gone for a less complicated, but larger heavier controller? Uh huh. You can say it.

Last edited:
I'll use myself as an example but I think a lot of people here could see the similarities with themselves. I already have the Air2, with the FMC, and I've bought an additional charger, battery( maybe 3 if I'm really in to it) and a bigger/ better bag or case over the last year. So now I have batteries and more ways to charge them along with a spare bag. Since everything that's been upgraded is in the device and controller I don't really need the FMC so if I'm upgrading it'll be the base kit. But in the past they made it so that the VALUE of the FMC made it pretty much a no brainer. For the price of just 2 new batteries, or maybe a little higher sometimes, I got the extra props, a bag, the hub and so forth at almost no extra cost to DJI but a lot of value to me. Now 3/4 of the retail for the individual pieces is built in to that FMC price so it loses value to me because where before "the bag is free so it doesn't matter if it not the biggest or best" it's now if I'm paying for it I want something bigger, more durable or a different style. If I'm paying for something I want to pay for what I want/ need.
Now, as you say, amateurs will look at the price and go cheaper, but that's not exactly always true. They often look more for value than price when things are close. They'll look at how much do they get for what they pay. The Air2 offered almost $440us(retail pricing off dji site) in its FMC for $210 while the Air2s only changed out the ND filter set( $35 differential based off dji retail pricing on their site compared to the Air2) adding 1 additional filter and increased the price by $100. That $35 change could be argued to be massively inflated in spite of the size increase and additional filter. Do most of us use the kit ND filter set or, after a short period of time, do we go out and buy a better set of Freewell or Tiffen at the same or lower price? And I dont think I've ever used the battery pack adaptor because let's be honest here you can charge your phone almost anywhere and however you want but need a high capacity pack and specialized charger for your drone batteries. So now it comes to cost. Basic kit 1k, plus 2 batteries at 115 each but maybe I don't want to buy them at once, a charging hub( I think I'll go with the highly rated Hanotora with car charging option, parallel and smart discharge for $55) a Mavic2 bag for $50 and some MAS props 2 sets at $25 each along with a 4 pack of Freewell for $60( had to use prices for MP2 but should be similar). Now my cart is actually over, by a fair margin inching in on the advertised value of the contents, than the $300 FMC cost but I have 2 full fledged chargers that can do 5 batteries simultaneously instead of 3 batteries in series, better props( in my opinion at least) better filters and by using the M2 bag a lot more space to carry and protect than the MA2(s) bag offers. If you wanted to trade something out, like the hanorota hub at $20 vs the charging hub example I used, a cheap set of filters for $30 instead or go with some other bag/ case that fits your needs better you can and in doing so drop the price more but still get what you want instead of a 1 size fits some approach. And my pricing is retail, not the oem cost, so you know it doesn't hit their bottom line the same way I'm illustrating it beating up our wallets.

So we are losing flight time?
According to dji specs we are dropping from 34 minutes( theoretical) to 31. Not much, and understandable when accounting for the the larger camera sensor and the upgrade to O3 along with the upwards facing OA, but when you look at the the MM to Mini2 upgrade we actually saw better overall physical performance with the improvements so it is a little dissapointing. To me that means that they kept all the other internals the same but the added weight and power draw of the new sensors decreased flight time.

According to dji specs we are dropping from 34 minutes( theoretical) to 31. Not much, and understandable when accounting for the the larger camera sensor and the upgrade to O3 along with the upwards facing OA, but when you look at the the MM to Mini2 upgrade we actually saw better overall physical performance with the improvements so it is a little dissapointing. To me that means that they kept all the other internals the same but the added weight and power draw of the new sensors decreased flight time.
I think the weight of the Drone... 570 vs 595.. There could be other contributing factors in the overall design such as sensor power consumption and perhaps a different processor for 5K that uses more power as well

DJI is going in an interesting direction. I think they've signaled that tacitly when they dropped the Mavic moniker. They are obviously trying to close ground on the Mavic 2 series and IMO are doing so in a manner that builds the most margin for them with minimal retooling. All will immediately notice the $300 price bump from the MA2 which I believe based on Chinese labor standard probably cost DJI pennies per unit after the new tooling is underwritten, which if the Air2s sells as quickly as the Mini 2 will be underwritten in days or weeks. If they can sell the Mini 2 at $450 with the same controller how much more can the new hardware possibly cost them? 99% of the cost seems to be programming, which is a one time cost plus the updates. The Chinese are really shrewd when it comes to business (and other world related things).

Take note that the MA2 the Mini 2 and the Air2s all use the identical controller. Think about it for a second. A year ago, the MA2, the M2 and the Mini all used different controllers! The MA2/Mini 2 used the DJI Fly app while the M2 and higher end DJI drones used the Go4 app. They seem to have stopped developing for the Go4 and are focused on software upgrades that can link up with some inexpensive hardware changes so are focusing heavily on the DJI Fly app, which provided a number of features for the MA2 absent with the Mavic 2.

The one curious drawback when compared to the Mavic 2 Pro is the lack of a variable aperture which I find extremely useful. While I do use ND filters during daylight flights (mostly gradients) I can ballpark which one I need for the desired shutter speed and can maintain sharpness pretty much within a 3 fstop range, from f2.8-f5.6 which I can adjust in flight from the controller.

I'm sure Ocusync 3.0 will be better than 2.0, claiming a 12km range. Perhaps this will be better for our European brethren that have the CE system rather thant he FCC transmission. Let's face it, the 12km claim is kind of a farce because you won't have enough battery to fly out 12km and come home without an emergency landing or an intercept. However, for reasonable distances it is always good to have excellent signal strength.

Having said all that, it will be good to see how the new model shakes out and if DJI will stop making the MA2. The MA2 for $1000 for the fly more combon is really a great starting place for those who aren't sure if they'll grow into or grow out of their first drone. In some ways I wish that I had started with that one. I could be wrong but I think $1300 will push newbies into the Mini 2 when they might have been on the fence with the MA2 based on price point. I don't know. Just me speculating.

Edit: One more thing (or two)...

The Air2s has a lot of upgrades from the MA2 but it's not going to replace my Mavic 2 Pro. While it has 5k footage and 4k@60fps the one thing that has to be taken into account is the weak link in all this; the camera's lens. While the sensor can capture more data the lens has to be sharp enough to take advantage of that. How much more storage space and processing power will be needed? I suppose it could have an odd appeal to a professional film maker who needs transportability. Will the Air2s be more stable in flight than the Mavic 2 which is rock solid in wind because of it's mass and power? And that controller. The Mavic 2 is lighter, has more controls and has a display. Why do you suppose DJI has gone for a less complicated, but larger heavier controller? Uh huh. You can say it.

I’m so tempted. MAV2Pro stops me to regain my composure and realize that I can’t buy everyone that comes out as long as what I’m using is already beyond my current talent. Which I feel is a lucid way of seeing this from my perspective. I’m literally thrilled the smart controller is cross compatible. Thanks for your take. Interesting observations. Thanks Godspeed. Now that I’ve said my peace I’m going to order 1. Lol.

I’m so tempted. MAV2Pro stops me to regain my composure and realize that I can’t buy everyone that comes out as long as what I’m using is already beyond my current talent. Which I feel is a lucid way of seeing this from my perspective. I’m literally thrilled the smart controller is cross compatible. Thanks for your take. Interesting observations. Thanks Godspeed. Now that I’ve said my peace I’m going to order 1. Lol.
Well, you could sell something to move it into your budget..

Reactions: Droniac

Aside from the name change that is the norm in previous DJI product releases, the newly launched DJI Air 2SS has some significant changes both inside and out. But is it for you, and would it be worth your money to upgrade? Here’s what you can expect with the DJI Air 2S.

The DJI Air 2S has pretty much the same dimensions as its predecessors so some accessories may be compatible with each other. It’s slightly heavier at 600 grams, which is probably because of the 1-inch sensor, the biggest upgrade of the Air 2S over the Mavic Air 2.

While the Mavic Air 2 had the half inch sensor, the Air 2S has the one-inch sensor size 20MP CMOS camera. This sensor size is seen in other DJI drones like the Mavic 2 Pro and Phantom 4 and even in the Autel Evo 2 Pro. However, these drones are considered to be professional-level drones and not intended for the prosumer market like the Air 2S.

He4fdMqwB86gpRJd9XShJlla7OiUKP3U5yaUoMBRBMIVDrISUOugXe9PNHVMeWdAON9u3yrxkPoP__s3w0fGhIM1_4nZSgCgR2pRf5Mq3THbjCTlym6v-JNhvqjoApkiLxVcUMNt

The 1-inch sensor allows for better shots in low-light conditions as well as to shoot videos in 5.4k at 30 fps. The Air 2S can also shoot up 4k up to 60 fps and 1080p at 120 fps. It has also a f/2.8 fixed aperture which should give you more control over your shots.

Another difference between the Air 2S and the Mavic Air 2 is the zooming capability. At 5.4k, the Air 2S can zoom up to three times and up to 8 times at the lowest resolution. This is a big step from the previous version that can only zoom up to six times.

Other smart features and upgrades have been added to the DJI Air 2S to make it a much more adaptive shooting tool. Among these are the 150 max bitrate of the Air 2S versus the 120 bit rate of the Mavic Air 2, and 10-bit D-log over 8-bit of the previous version.

The Air 2S offers improved Panorama and Timelapse function, the latter of which takes advantage of improved footage in low-light situations due to low-light situations plus the ability to stabilize footage after recording, as well as upgraded functionalities on features like FocusTrack and Quickshots modes.

Three big changes in the DJI Ai2 are Mastershots which, based on available material, may be like the Air 2S’s version of the DJI Mimo’s Story Mode. APAS 4.0 is a big step when it comes to obstacle avoidance as the AIr 2S now has additional top sensors that will make flying and utilizing the upgraded ActiveTrack 4.0 that much safer so you can focus more on content creation rather than keeping your bird safely in the air.

Lastly, the DJI Air 2S has O3 transmission, the upgrade from OcuSync 3.0, that was last seen in the recently released DJI FPV Drone. With this feature, you can get a transmission range of up to 12km FCC (8km in CE), an honestly insane range that you can probably reach in perfect conditions.

Speaking of range, the good news is that Mavic Air 2 batteries are compatible with the Air 2S. Flight time is slightly lower, though, and there is no news whether battery swapping will affect the total flight time. There’s also a rumor that the Air 2S will be able to provide users with a more immersive flight experience with FPV goggle and motion controller compatibility, but that has yet to be confirmed.

E6VZLDV6O4eVZ6cuRDzLGHpkUOAsHRt5aqJusdnxi7z5GnNuGFSQ9cfaUGPQ7GFkNgP7AmJWr408h__6Pkod48YEdRFmpWFQoEqBcxqBYN5byB-TzkXXbo6wGopPIoyg4ox4ec_q

All in all, I can say that the difference between the DJI Air 2S and the Mavic Air 2 is quite impressive, especially with the improved 1-inch camera, ActiveTrack 4.0, OcuSync 3.0, and the new Mastershots mode. I’m sure to upgrade from the Mavic Air 2 and you should too if you want to create better quality content using the best camera--to-weight/price prosumer drone in the market today. For me, it’s perfect for content creators, aerial photographers on a budget, and for those who travel a lot (sorry Mini 2!).

Of course, MA2 is still one of the best drones out there right now so ultimately it’s going to be your choice depending on your needs.

Super comprehensive. I feel like you’ve given me a pretty clear understanding of the upgrades/differences. Thanks Godspeed.

Well, you could sell something to move it into your budget..

Point taken. I’ve posted prior I have a guitar collection. Hmmmm. I’m certain I can part with one. This hobby is maniacally addicting. It’s wonderful. [emoji91]

Reactions: Geekser and maggior
So are the batteries the same? Will MA2 batteries work in the A2s?

So are the batteries the same? Will MA2 batteries work in the A2s?
Both the batteries and propellers are the same. The frame is almost identical too so most accessories should work without modification. I don't think I'm going to jump on the Air2 but if I do it'll be as the base kit since I won't need another hub, bag or (realistically speaking) useless battery adaptor and I already have plenty of props.

Reactions: Droniac
@dronekilleremir
Thank you so much for the overview. I literally JUST bought my Air2 FMC, "just" as this past Friday. Spent the evening watching videos on how to fly, setup, etc., then was practicing flying on Saturday... I'm a newbie and the recreational user. Mostly will be shooting videos on vacations. I wish I discovered this forum earlier, and knew that A2s was coming out. I decided on buying DJI drone only last week. However, at this point, since already have MA2, I'm not sure if I want to exchange it for A2s. With your throughout overview, I don't think I can justify spending extra money, especially as some users here said, the FMC price is $100 more for, pretty much, the exact same kit, on a top of the $200. I haven't even tried all the functions, or zoom to see if I'm ok with it. Honestly, I did not even know MA2 has a zoom ?‍♀️ yes, I'm the kind of girl that buys car based on the color ?‍♀️ don't judge ;)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Opus3