DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S Will not maintain connection with RC Pro.

WyomingCB

Premium Pilot
Reactions
Brand new AIR 2S-RC Pro combo.
Aircraft not connected to RC error.

Firmware is up to date according to DJI Fly. This loss of comms happens within a few minutes of takeoff and multiple times each battery. I attempted multiple flights on all 3 batteries, with the same results.
This disconnect doesn't appear to be elevation or distance related. All flights were under 100 feet and within 150 yds distance.....very close considering the advertised range.

DJI Support is suggesting it's only my individual unit and I should return it for a replacement. Drone Nerds is suggesting it's been a common issue and they don't yet have a sure fix.
Any thoughts?

Reactions: Grandpa
Check for an update using DJI Assistant 2 (consumer drone series). It's not likely there's anything out yet, but maybe. My standalone version got an update that way (still won't connect to my Air 2S though).

Reactions: WyomingCB
Check for an update using DJI Assistant 2 (consumer drone series). It's not likely there's anything out yet, but maybe. My standalone version got an update that way (still won't connect to my Air 2S though).
Thank you for the reply but I don't run a PC. I've used nothing but a smart phone or tablet since 2015. I'm not sure how to go about using DA2. I would fully expect systems like this combo to be plug n play.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure if there's a way to update the underlying firmware on the RC Pro (presumably 03.00.0008 on yours) using just the RC Pro - I just looked around on mine and couldn't find a way. The Check for Update button in DJI Fly will keep the drone firmware and the Fly app up to date, but I don't think it'll do the base firmware.

I could be wrong, but I'm not sure if there's a way to update the underlying firmware on the RC Pro (presumably 03.00.0008 on yours) using just the RC Pro - I just looked around on mine and couldn't find a way. The Check for Update button in DJI Fly will keep the drone firmware and the Fly app up to date, but I don't think it'll do the base firmware.
That is correct, my RC firmware is 3.00.008
Just got off the phone with DJI Support; they suggested I do 4 calibrations and try again.
RC, IMU, Compass and Gimbal. Guess I'll do that now.

... just got off the phone with DJI Support; they suggested I do 4 calibrations and try again.
RC, IMU, Compass and Gimbal. Guess I'll do that now.
That's their standard answer to all possible issues... none of those calibrations will adress connection problems between the RC & craft.

RC calibration: see to that a full stick position gives a full 100% command

IMU calibration: see to that the IMU knows where the craft is horizontal so the craft doesn't drift around when in a hover.

Compass calibration: measures the crafts internal magnetic field so it can be deducted from the total magnetic field that the compass sees, this so only earth magnetic field can established.

Gimbal calibration: corrects a tilted horizon, sees to that the camera is leveled with the horizon.

This remember me when I ask to DJI support about the green dot in the videos and they ask me to change the SD Card memory. The only thing you can do to avoid disconnection is, avoid obstructions between the remote controller and the aircraft. Also you can void flying in area of heavy interference. If you are close to the aircraft and you still suffer from disconnections, this is an DJI problem and I suffer this recently as well with my Mavic Air 2S with the aircraft in my face. I guess DJI is having issues with their internal software that runs the chipset IMO.

I have seen mention of re linking the drone and controller but do not know if it was a successful solution.

That's their standard answer to all possible issues... none of those calibrations will adress connection problems between the RC & craft.

RC calibration: see to that a full stick position gives a full 100% command

IMU calibration: see to that the IMU knows where the craft is horizontal so the craft doesn't drift around when in a hover.

Compass calibration: measures the crafts internal magnetic field so it can be deducted from the total magnetic field that the compass sees, this so only earth magnetic field can established.

Gimbal calibration: corrects a tilted horizon, sees to that the camera is leveled with the horizon.
I kinda figured the same and experienced no problems with any of those systems when flying....all that seems normal.
I did finally make it through all those calibrations but it required multiple reboots, wouldn't stay connected long enough to complete any of them in a single attempt.
As you suggested, it fixed nothing.

This remember me when I ask to DJI support about the green dot in the videos and they ask me to change the SD Card memory. The only thing you can do to avoid disconnection is, avoid obstructions between the remote controller and the aircraft. Also you can void flying in area of heavy interference. If you are close to the aircraft and you still suffer from disconnections, this is an DJI problem and I suffer this recently as well with my Mavic Air 2S with the aircraft in my face. I guess DJI is having issues with their internal software that runs the chipset IMO.
Agreed, there was nothing between the craft and myself but air when it lost comms during flight. There was no interfering signals, as I was on a hay field miles from wifi or other electronic interference.

I only can recommend to refresh the firmware with the DJI Assistant app and try again. If you still experience issues you can contact DJI and probably they will offer repair or exchange, or you can wait until a new firmware is released hoping this will fix the problem.

I'll try that now. Thank You
I only can recommend to refresh the firmware with the DJI Assistant app and try again. If you still experience issues you can contact DJI and probably they will offer repair or exchange, or you can wait until a new firmware is released hoping this will fix the problem.
I appreciate the reply, Thank You.
That's where this appears to stand at the moment.
I'm not ready to buy a PC just to use DJI Assistant. Nor should I need it, to use a drone to inspect my own agricultural property.
I would've never purchased this drone if someone told me I'd need a computer to fly it.... As advertised, this combo with the RC Pro really should be capable of stand alone use, basically plug n play.
Hopefully Drone Nerds can get it working properly, or refund/replace. It's worthless to me as it sits now....basically an expensive child's toy, certainly not the useful tool I was expecting.

Reactions: Rubenc87
Brand new AIR 2S-RC Pro combo.
Aircraft not connected to RC error.

Firmware is up to date according to DJI Fly. This loss of comms happens within a few minutes of takeoff and multiple times each battery. I attempted multiple flights on all 3 batteries, with the same results.
This disconnect doesn't appear to be elevation or distance related. All flights were under 100 feet and within 150 yds distance.....very close considering the advertised range.

DJI Support is suggesting it's only my individual unit and I should return it for a replacement. Drone Nerds is suggesting it's been a common issue and they don't yet have a sure fix.
Any thoughts?
Exactly the same issue here. Will try it now that i have all the updates done today. With the controller of the mavic air linked to the a2s no probs. To be continued :-(

You may give a try to switching the communications to manual, select a particular band and pick a channel that is relatively quiet at the of takeoff. Then fly out and see if it maintains that connection.

It looks like the M3 folks have even more issues with the SC Pro connection. I am not sure exactly what the "+" stands for in Ocusync 3+ but that is presumably the main difference between using the Pro with the A2s vs the M3. It may well be that the "+" stands for the extra band or whatever. If that is so, it simply may exacerbate the band switching issues between controller and aircraft. There has to be either some type of interactive handoff to synchronize (would require connection of course) or some arbitrary "independent rotate frequencies and bands and try selecting quiet bands (carefully since quiescence would be different for controller and aircraft at distance)" executed on both sides and stop when the connection is re-established. Maybe there is some "master/slave" aspect to this too. I remember a couple of years ago with the M2P and the DJI Goggles where the M2P required to maintain 2 independent connections with different communication issues. That was a real mess until they finally fixed it. Most likely by coordinating with a master (aircraft possibly). Until DJI fixed that problem I simply forced one band with manual selection. That worked pretty well.

I recently bought the A2s/RC Pro combo (a duplication for me since I already had an A2s with the older Smart Controller as well as the standard controller). I have been flying the A2s with the older SC for 9 months with no real issues except one observation that had me concerned: Starting with one of the A2s firmware upgrades last fall (I believe relating to the M3/RC Pro release and their plans to substitute the SC Pro for the SC) I noticed a significant change in connection behavior using the A2s with the old SC. The connection started to switch bands very frequently even if the A2s was close and in line-of-sight out in the wilderness. I noticed it because whenever a "switch" occurs, the signal indicator would turn red for a fraction of second. This NEVER happened to that degree before that firmware upgrade. With all that band/channel switching the old SC seem to do OK (other than scaring me), but then it is basically Ocusync 2.

So far the RC Pro and my old A2s seem to "like each other". The connection does switch but not quite as frequently as I noticed with the old SC. I also took it out to some distance the other day. I was out 2.5 miles line of sight and still had a solid 4 bars with little or no switching. I am sure I could have gone a lot farther. Bottom line... there is hope that after DJI has gone through what they should have done in the first place it will all work great.

Looks like I'll be returning this to Drone Nerds. That's where I purchased it earlier this month. They sent me a RA# and shipping label today.
These connection issues started as soon as I initially fired it up, right out of the box. Mine should've never left the factory.

There appears to be some hope, some people are saying perfect function right out of the box. For nearly $1800, they darn well SHOULD perform flawlessly.

Reactions: Rubenc87
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DOM112