DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air 2S with DJI Smart Controller

VDAB

Reactions
I currently have a M2 Pro with the Smart Controller (SC). It is said that the Air 2S can be used with the SC too.
Questions:
1. The SC has Occusync 2 and the Air 2S has Occusync 3. Are those compatible ie can you fly the Air 2S without any problems with the SC ?
2. Air 2 S requires the DJI Fly App. I have the DJI GO4 app installed on the SC for the M2P. Can you install both apps besides one another on the SC ?
3. At first flight you will have to "link" the Air 2S to the SC . After flying the Air 2S and wanting to fly then the M2P, do I have to go through the linking process again for my M2P or can the SC be linked to several drones without having to re-link every time ?

Looking for an expert to answer my questions. ;)

1. Yes, I fly the 2S with my SC with no problems.
2. Yes, I have both apps installed on the SC
3. Yes, you will have to link the new S2 to the SC and bind them. But you don't have to do that each time you fly.

It works fine however if you try to record your screen while flying , there is quite a bit of lag.

UPDATED: The new update seems to have solved the Lag on the screen record for me anyway.

Phantomrain.org
Gear to fly your Air 2S in the Rain and land on the Water.

Last edited:
3. Yes, you will have to link the new S2 to the SC and bind them. But you don't have to do that each time you fly.

These are the right answers, and to add to #2, if you have the latest Smart Controller firmware, both apps will be on there with the firmware, no need to install anything or do anything.

For me, I had to use the supplied controller and phone first. Update the S2 and then it would sync and bind with the SC. I couldn't get the SC to link without that step.

For binding (flyaway coverage with care refresh) - you can only bind 1 remote at a time (I had chat with DJI today to confirm), so if you plan to switch remotes keep that in mind.

Reactions: New England Droning
For me, I had to use the supplied controller and phone first. Update the S2 and then it would sync and bind with the SC. I couldn't get the SC to link without that step.
That is correct Greg. I had to do the same thing. Before I could use the SC with the Air 2S, I had to upgrade the firmware on the Air 2S with the regular Air 2S controller so it is compatible with the SC. Then the SC would be able to bind to the Air 2S.

Yesterday morning I went flying and started out using the Air 2S controller and my Samsung phone. I've seen on YouTube that the regular controller has smoother results than the SC - I agree with that. But, what I noticed more than anything is that the screen on my phone was not nearly as bright as the SC. I then missed the dials on the SC. I use one for camera pitch and the other for digital zoom. Working them together can provide nice results. I also really like the feel of the SC. On the down side, the Fly app has quit on me a few times. It is easy enough to restart, but that is a bit annoying.

Reactions: Greenflash
After much frustration, I was finally able to link the SC with the Air 2S! I actually gave up and linked the stock controller fine but my phone is small and I could barely see anything on the screen. I went home and gave it another try and bingo it got linked. Did a test flight that went well but did not push it beyond 600 feet no signal break-up.

Reactions: gamayun
I've been reading on various sites & blogs, also watching a lot of videos of people having video lag, range issues and just issues in general using the smart controller with the A2's..

General inquiry; now that its been out for a little bit have many of you that have and use the smart controller with the A2's experienced any issues or do we think it's just isolated incidents/bugs? Maybe location related, USA or Europe etc.? Firmware fix needed?

Thanks for any input!

Using it in the USA... I think the Smart Controller works great. I''ve only seen lag slightly if I'm recording video and doing a screen recording at the same time. Range is fine... I think the stock controller will go out a greater distance, but it gets to use Ocusync 3, where the Smart Controller uses 2. But within the legal limits there's plenty of range.. never seen a dropout or a warning. If you add to that not having to use your phone, get it into the dodgy clip (I have an iPhone 12 Max) and not fooling with the cords it's a winner. Screen is brighter. Very solidly built. I think it's pricy, but find it worth it. I saw the video where the guy said don't by one (which is a bit presumptuous as he was having trouble but others are happy with it). The web is full of people trying to get clicks. Summary: I'm glad I bought it, and would not like to go back to the standard controller with my phone.

I'm sure there will be new firmware, but I'm not having any problems now. One thing I'd like to see is a quick switch back and forth from the stock controller to the Smart Controller. It appears you have to re-pair each time. Not a big deal, but a fast switch would be great. And I'm always on the SC anyway.

Reactions: crash3x
FYI, the stock controller and the Smart Controller are both Ocusync 2.

For the Air 2, people have noted a drop in difference between the stock controller and the Smart Controller. Some people claim it is worse with the new firmware (which would be all you could use on the A2s). I haven't tested yet.

Using it in the USA... I think the Smart Controller works great. I''ve only seen lag slightly if I'm recording video and doing a screen recording at the same time. Range is fine... I think the stock controller will go out a greater distance, but it gets to use Ocusync 3, where the Smart Controller uses 2. But within the legal limits there's plenty of range.. never seen a dropout or a warning. If you add to that not having to use your phone, get it into the dodgy clip (I have an iPhone 12 Max) and not fooling with the cords it's a winner. Screen is brighter. Very solidly built. I think it's pricy, but find it worth it. I saw the video where the guy said don't by one (which is a bit presumptuous as he was having trouble but others are happy with it). The web is full of people trying to get clicks. Summary: I'm glad I bought it, and would not like to go back to the standard controller with my phone.

I'm sure there will be new firmware, but I'm not having any problems now. One thing I'd like to see is a quick switch back and forth from the stock controller to the Smart Controller. It appears you have to re-pair each time. Not a big deal, but a fast switch would be great. And I'm always on the SC anyway.
Thanks for the reply, appreciate your info and user experience. I own the smart controller and really like it, I've been using it problem free with my MA2 for about a year now. I just purchased the A2's, I actually have it, I just haven't opened or flown it yet, over the weekend I was going to update everything and give it go but like I posted I just wanted to get some feedback on some of the issues I've been seeing/reading with the smart controller. I agree with you, once you use and own the SC, there's no going back! Figured if it was a bigger issue a firmware update would be the fix! Thanks again!

FYI, the stock controller and the Smart Controller are both Ocusync 2.

For the Air 2, people have noted a drop in difference between the stock controller and the Smart Controller. Some people claim it is worse with the new firmware (which would be all you could use on the A2s). I haven't tested yet.
FYI: I was discussing the A2's

In regards to the MA2: I have the SC and have been using it for about a year with the MA2 and occasionally switch back to the stock MA2 remote and don't notice any drop off, might be the area where people are flying, interference issues maybe? I don't notice any range difference.

A2's: I could be wrong but I thought I read the A2's has 4 antennas, uses Ocusync 3 as another pilot mentioned and the stock A2's remote will have a little better range than the SC as that uses Ocusync 2.

I've been reading on various sites & blogs, also watching a lot of videos of people having video lag, range issues and just issues in general using the smart controller with the A2's..

General inquiry; now that its been out for a little bit have many of you that have and use the smart controller with the A2's experienced any issues or do we think it's just isolated incidents/bugs? Maybe location related, USA or Europe etc.? Firmware fix needed?

Thanks for any input!
I was finally able to link the Air 2S with the SC, after many failed efforts. Once I did there was a firmware update also. I have had only one opportunity to test it but everything went fine and I was able to get 600 feet without any break up in an urban area.

FYI: I was discussing the A2's

In regards to the MA2: I have the SC and have been using it for about a year with the MA2 and occasionally switch back to the stock MA2 remote and don't notice any drop off, might be the area where people are flying, interference issues maybe? I don't notice any range difference.

A2's: I could be wrong but I thought I read the A2's has 4 antennas, uses Ocusync 3 as another pilot mentioned and the stock A2's remote will have a little better range than the SC as that uses Ocusync 2.
I was discussing the A2s as well for my statement about the controller being Ocusync 2.

The Air 2S uses the exact controller as the Air 2. They both have 2 antennas. The drone itself has 4 antennas.

Reactions: crash3x
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
refrigasketscanada