DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air Range Issue

Thygesen

Reactions
Just bought the Mavic Air and i have some issues with the range .. Trying changing channels but i can’t even get more than 300m away before starting to lose signal.

Any suggestions?

Reactions: Bwoody321
300m is actually not bad for Mavic Air. It is a known and debilitating issue, the only way to get solid connection in my opinion is to spend extra money on an external antenna. Raptor SR is rock solid in my experience, not sure about other options

Just bought the Mavic Air and i have some issues with the range .. Trying changing channels but i can’t even get more than 300m away before starting to lose signal.

Any suggestions?
Search the app store for "Floater" app. It will increase your range. I'm getting approx 1 Mile with mine in rural areas.

300m is actually not bad for Mavic Air. It is a known and debilitating issue, the only way to get solid connection in my opinion is to spend extra money on an external antenna. Raptor SR is rock solid in my experience, not sure about other options

I've gotten more than 5 times that range without any kind of external antenna in a non-urban environment.

This is not true. It is not a "known and debilitating issue" (source?). In FCC mode (available everywhere) you get 4KM of range in good conditions. I fly mine regularly in urban areas (lots of interference) in several different countries and have been out 2KM+ with full signal bars. I don't use signal boosters either.

This is not true. It is not a "known and debilitating issue" (source?). In FCC mode (available everywhere) you get 4KM of range in good conditions. I fly mine regularly in urban areas (lots of interference) in several different countries and have been out 2KM+ with full signal bars. I don't use signal boosters either.

Ofcourse Mavic Air has connection and interference issues unless flying close by, you saying it doesn’t invalidates the concerns of a lot of people that have posted about this and even more who don’t post in forums (I know 5 at least). Maybe do a simple search for your sources. The problem seems to be worse in urban areas as expected, and in CE areas outside of US/Canada. And no, FCC mode is not available everywhere, though workarounds seem more doable for android users.

Ofcourse Mavic Air has connection and interference issues unless flying close by, you saying it doesn’t invalidates the concerns of a lot of people that have posted about this and even more who don’t post in forums (I know 5 at least). Maybe do a simple search for your sources. The problem seems to be worse in urban areas as expected, and in CE areas outside of US/Canada. And no, FCC mode is not available everywhere, though workarounds seem more doable for android users.

A few people posting online about a problem with unverifiable experience, methods, etc. is not evidence of a "known debilitating issue". Add to that the fact that people are exponentially more likely to post about problems than if they have a successful flight. A "known debilitating issue" would be, for example, something DJI might issue a service advisory about. Also of the several firmware updates DJI has released, this is not something they have had to address. Can you link me to a single objective, controlled test from a reputable source that clearly demonstrates some sort of widespread, debilitating, range issue? I have searched and I cannot find a single one.

I did not say anything at all to take anything away from people who have experienced a legitimate issue - there will always be some, usually an extreme minority, and that is what warranty is for. To claim something is a "known debilitating" issue demands a much higher burden of proof, certainly a lot more than the 5 people you are referencing against the thousands or millions of Mavic Air's sold. Almost every single range complaint I have read about involving the MA has been from the user being in CE mode (you can use FCC anywhere as per my previous post), or not orienting the antennae properly (45 degrees or flat sides facing the drone, and parallel). Every drone can run into problems in areas of extremely high interference, even the Mavic 2 Pro. Generally it is not a big deal though.

FCC mode is very easy to enable for Apple users - a simple search will provide you with the info ;) You're lucky to get 100-200M out of CE mode, I don't think many people actually use it. I wouldn't own a drone if that was the max range, but that is just me.

Reactions: InvisibleName
A few people posting online about a problem with unverifiable experience, methods, etc. is not evidence of a "known debilitating issue". Almost every single range complaint I have read about involving the MA has been from the user being in CE mode (you can use FCC anywhere as per my previous post), or not orienting the antennae properly (45 degrees or flat sides facing the drone, and parallel). Every drone can run into problems in areas of extremely high interference, even the Mavic 2 Pro. Generally it is not a big deal though.

He's saying wifi can suck in urban areas, but generally occuysnc doesn't, which is true. It's true for a huge range of reasons, such as the control signal constantly frequency hopping across multiple frequencies (much like DECT cordless phones) which ensures a constant and reliable connection. The radio can automatically change between 2.4g & 5.8g while in air for best range, the video carrier automatically changes bandwidth depending on signal quality and distance for maximum reliability, the video carrier it'self can automatically change frequency within a band if experiencing interference.

Wifi can do none of that. So occysync is just a much more reliable & robust radio system which should not be news to anyone.

Reactions: NAVMAV
I also encounter the same issue with mavic air on residential/urban areas. I cant even go more than 80m height and the signal keeps on disconnecting on 5ghz. When i went to a beach i was able to reach 2km on 2.4ghz.

He's saying wifi can suck in urban areas, but generally occuysnc doesn't, which is true. It's true for a huge range of reasons, such as the control signal constantly frequency hopping across multiple frequencies (much like DECT cordless phones) which ensures a constant and reliable connection. The radio can automatically change between 2.4g & 5.8g while in air for best range, the video carrier automatically changes bandwidth depending on signal quality and distance for maximum reliability, the video carrier it'self can automatically change frequency within a band if experiencing interference.

Wifi can do none of that. So occysync is just a much more reliable & robust radio system which should not be news to anyone.

What he said was the Mavic Air range was a "known debilitating issue" which was the only point I was arguing. Certainly the first I am hearing of it in my time here or on any other Mavic board, and I have flown several different MA's now which were all rock solid in mixed conditions including urban. I don't think it would be good for potential owners to read comments like that and think there is some sort of widespread issue with the MA when 9 times out of 10 people with range issues flip over to FCC mode and see their problem resolved. This is not every case, but most that I have seen. My only point is this is not some major unresolved issue with the MA, as it is being portrayed with language like that.

Occusync is no doubt better, I did not state otherwise - what I said was that it can run into issues too if there is extremely high interference. All else equal the Mavic Air would probably run into issues first, if it was bad enough to cause issues in the first place.

WiFi in general definitely can switch bands, but I don't believe the Air specifically can.

I would tend to agree with you. I’ve never flown in a city, but flying stock out in the suburbs (not out In the sticks)I get signal breakups at well under a mile, much less going out 4kms.

I thought it was supposed to be 4km?
Definitely not in Europe, maybe in the USA. I start loosing signal at 1 Mile (1.5 KM) flying along a beach with no wi fi interference. I have flown round a lighthouse which is 1 Mile out to sea with no problems.

What he said was the Mavic Air range was a "known debilitating issue" which was the only point I was arguing. Certainly the first I am hearing of it in my time here or on any other Mavic board, and I have flown several different MA's now which were all rock solid in mixed conditions including urban. I don't think it would be good for potential owners to read comments like that and think there is some sort of widespread issue with the MA when 9 times out of 10 people with range issues flip over to FCC mode and see their problem resolved. This is not every case, but most that I have seen. My only point is this is not some major unresolved issue with the MA, as it is being portrayed with language like that.

Occusync is no doubt better, I did not state otherwise - what I said was that it can run into issues too if there is extremely high interference. All else equal the Mavic Air would probably run into issues first, if it was bad enough to cause issues in the first place.

WiFi in general definitely can switch bands, but I don't believe the Air specifically can.

I agree. Occusync is better yeah but it costs more than it is worth. For a 4K flying camera that fits in your pocket, enhanced WiFi is pretty good, especially for price point.

Reactions: CanadaDrone
Definitely not in Europe, maybe in the USA. I start loosing signal at 1 Mile (1.5 KM) flying along a beach with no wi fi interference. I have flown round a lighthouse which is 1 Mile out to sea with no problems.
so are you saying that the 4km range that the website states and the instructions state is total B/S and that if I get 1km i am doing well, there is false advertising and there is a bit of leeway for aproximates but if you are saying that 1 km is good then that is well under and no where near one of it's main selling points.

Still breaking my MA in. I don't have the stones yet to go much further away than 800 feet. I have experienced the camera signal freezing for a few seconds then dropping off. I'm flying in my neighborhood right now. The properties start at 1.1 acres and go up to about 3 so I'm not in a densely populated area. Next time I get some good weather to fly I may push it out some. I'm going to try the antennas in different positions as suggested.

so are you saying that the 4km range that the website states and the instructions state is total B/S and that if I get 1km i am doing well, there is false advertising and there is a bit of leeway for aproximates but if you are saying that 1 km is good then that is well under and no where near one of it's main selling points.
Like Flight time their statements are "BEST CASE" Big capital letters.Their range statements are based on open area(aka desert or plains in mid west) with ZERO external signals and direct line to controller at all times. FYI look at range statements on a WIFI card or router and try to get those distances in a city. Anytime you throw a piece of metal, stone, or even wood between transmitter and receiver you're gonna lose signal strength.

I have yet to fly out over 1200 ft, but have only had one signal loss when I forgot to put the antenae feet down. I regularly fly about 1000 ft in rural open area(over lakes and parks) which is also about all I can maintain good VLOS. Come summer I might push it a little further, but no much.

I understand that they are best case scenarios but maybe there should be a better description of what the average scenario should expect

Reactions: Capnfletch

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest