DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air vs Pro need info to decide!

DTC709

Reactions
Hello from Eastern Canada,

I’ve been wanting a drone for a while, picked up the Tello about a month ago, and seeing what even such a small toy drone can do, I’ve decided to finally pick one up.

As I’ve seen plenty of posts here already, and have read through most of them, and watched more comparison vids then I’d like to admit, I’m torn between the Pro & the Air. I know I want the portability of the Mavic series.

I think I’ll be fine with the Airs range, but having never owned one before I’m stuck on flight time, obviously more is better, but I’m sort of thinking the Air’s 15-17 min may be enough for me. And they both seem to handle wind somewhat equally.

•Price wise, best I can seem to find is:

-Mavic Air w/ extra battery: $1188.00 CAD (Approx $925 USD)

-Mavic Pro: $ $1299.00 CAD (Approx $1012 USD)

One thing I would love to get a photo of, would be the air folded up in its storage bag, and the pro folded up (also in storage bag if you have one, if not no big deal). Put along side a baseball cap for reference so I can really gauge the portability difference.

Anyways, sorry for the winded post, excited to become part of the community and any help, Input, tips, tricks or comments are welcome! Thanks

Here are some photos that show the size difference between the Mavic Pro and Mavic Air:

dji-mavic-air-review-15-1500x1000.jpg
dji-mavic-air-review-16-1500x1000.jpg
dji-mavic-air-review-23-1500x1000.jpg
Mavic-Air-vs-Mavic-Pro-planetegeek.fr_08.jpg

Hello from Eastern Canada,

I’ve been wanting a drone for a while, picked up the Tello about a month ago, and seeing what even such a small toy drone can do, I’ve decided to finally pick one up.

As I’ve seen plenty of posts here already, and have read through most of them, and watched more comparison vids then I’d like to admit, I’m torn between the Pro & the Air. I know I want the portability of the Mavic series.

I think I’ll be fine with the Airs range, but having never owned one before I’m stuck on flight time, obviously more is better, but I’m sort of thinking the Air’s 15-17 min may be enough for me. And they both seem to handle wind somewhat equally.

•Price wise, best I can seem to find is:

-Mavic Air w/ extra battery: $1188.00 CAD (Approx $925 USD)

-Mavic Pro: $ $1299.00 CAD (Approx $1012 USD)

One thing I would love to get a photo of, would be the air folded up in its storage bag, and the pro folded up (also in storage bag if you have one, if not no big deal). Put along side a baseball cap for reference so I can really gauge the portability difference.

Anyways, sorry for the winded post, excited to become part of the community and any help, Input, tips, tricks or comments are welcome! Thanks
Pro over the Air for Occusync

I know here in the US, the Mavic Pro has been available for a lot less than the price listed in the OP. If you shop around you should be able to find a MP for very close to the price of a MA.

Mike

I know here in the US, the Mavic Pro has been available for a lot less than the price listed in the OP. If you shop around you should be able to find a MP for very close to the price of a MA.

Mike

Yeah that’s what I’ve been reading, I’ll have to do more searching. Shipping & customs will probably still go against me tho. Thanks!

MP is a better drone. But... I got the air to fit my budget, at $799 USD. I also love its portability, and taking it on hikes, snowboarding, trips, whatever-- the Air fit better. And while I know the pro is a better drone, I haven't had any issues with the Air... it flies super far without issues, except in suburbia where you shouldn't fly too far off anyways.

If I were to buy a Pro, it would be the Pro Platinum, FWIW.

Also, check the refurb prices on DJI.

Reactions: andydownunder
Hi Eastern Canada! Hate to be cliche but kind of depends on what you want to do. Still pics, the M Pro is superb, only DJI bird that can shoot in portrait and landscape. M Air has some unique quick shot video things (that was my clincher ). Now that l have it l adore my M Air. It literally fits in my pocket. And the controller fits in the other. It is even easier to carry and smaller than the Spark.

But for range M Pro. Not just flight time. The M Pro is known as the distance king, l took mine out. Over ocean no less, to 5 km. recently and it did not break a sweat. It just goes and goes and goes.

I wish the M Air battery had just a wee bit more. Been spoiled with the Pro. Both do well in wind.

I haven't taken my M Air on a trip, just around where l live. Last summer I had my M Pro in the high mountains of Western Mongolia, up Very High and far away in serious winds, to glacial terminals and hidden glacial lakes. Amazing. Even carried a 360 camera below it a few times. It was a champ.

For fun and sheer portability M Air. For more serious footage, range etc. M Pro. But l could not give one up.

Reactions: FL1H1 and DTC709
The Pro remote also has a display for telemetry that comes in handy if (when) you have an app crash. For the small price difference the Pro gets you a better remote, longer flight time, and Occusync for more range.

You also need to budget for an extra battery or two, ND filters, lens cleaner, and a carrying case (many camera cases work).

The Pro remote also has a display for telemetry that comes in handy if (when) you have an app crash. For the small price difference the Pro gets you a better remote, longer flight time, and Occusync for more range.

You also need to budget for an extra battery or two, ND filters, lens cleaner, and a carrying case (many camera cases work).

Great point about the M Pro remote, having a display. DJI must put in other models.

I think it comes down to size vs distance. As small as the Pro is it's still huge compared to the Air.

The cameras are nearly the same with people arguing one is better than the other and they are probably both right.

Reactions: DTC709
MP is a better drone. But... I got the air to fit my budget, at $799 USD. I also love its portability, and taking it on hikes, snowboarding, trips, whatever-- the Air fit better. And while I know the pro is a better drone, I haven't had any issues with the Air... it flies super far without issues, except in suburbia where you shouldn't fly too far off anyways.

If I were to buy a Pro, it would be the Pro Platinum, FWIW.

Also, check the refurb prices on DJI.

Yeah I don’t live in a real high population area anyways, and do a lot of huntin, hiking, fishing, etc. Would still love to see the Pro folded any in a carry case along side a hat or in someone’s hand. Give me a idea about space in my backpack.

I don't have a Pro, but compared them at the DJI store before I bought. The size isn't a huge issue, but the weight is. The pro is about twice the weight. (I'm sure you can see the specs online)

Yeah I don’t live in a real high population area anyways, and do a lot of huntin, hiking, fishing, etc. Would still love to see the Pro folded any in a carry case along side a hat or in someone’s hand. Give me a idea about space in my backpack.

The Air you won't notice in your backpack, the Pro you'll need to make space for.

The Mavic Pro is also over double the size of the Mavic Air. I don't recommend buying a drone for the size alone though. It would be better to buy the best tool for the job.

It's too bad no one has ever compared the Air and the Pro sizes... oh wait: mavic pro vs mavic air size - Google Search

I’ve watched a pile of them, and sorry I say hand, cause a lot of people show that. I was just trying to get a better ideal along side a real world object. I’ve never seen any of these in person. I’ll have to swing to my local bestbuy for a look.

Thanks everyone, a lot of great input so far, can’t say you’ve made it any easier tho! Haha. Got a feeling it’ll come down to a fight between flight time and price for me.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozwaldcore