DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air2S and Litchi POI Orbit sideways jerky

RonanCork

Reactions
Hi Guys,

I'm using the Air2S and have started experimenting with Litchi (had typically used DJI Go App)

I know the Litchi support for Air2S has only in recent months been released (and it possible still is in beta) ?

When I started the Litchi app I got a popup warning was along the lines of there is a known gimbal issue which will be addressed - so this may well be my issue

AfterI do my POI/orbit, when I look at the recorded video (from the SD card, it's an sd extreme one) the POI isn't too smooth (i.e. like it would be super smooth doing the same in DJI Go) and is a little sideways jerky - is this the same "gimbal" issue that's referenced when I start the app ?

Also does anyone know when we might expect the issue to be fixed?

Any thoughts/guidance would be great!

Thanks Ro

Not a expert on Litchi but since it uses virtual sticks to give the Air 2S its commands the flight becomes jerky unless it is going in a straight direction. Running the video through davinci resolve stabilization can help improve it some.
Litchi said their last update will fix the gimble problem when DJI releases a firmware update but no one knows when this will happen.

Reactions: RonanCork and Yaros
The jerkiness is because of Virtual Sticks, DJI SDK limitation.
The Air 2S has POI included in the DJI Fly app, why don't you use that? It is much smoother!

Reactions: Jagerbomb52
AfterI do my POI/orbit, when I look at the recorded video (from the SD card, it's an sd extreme one) the POI isn't too smooth (i.e. like it would be super smooth doing the same in DJI Go) and is a little sideways jerky - is this the same "gimbal" issue that's referenced when I start the app ?
Flying slower helps smooth it out some.

I have found that creating an orbit using a POI mission is smoother then using the built in Orbit.

The Air 2S has POI included in the DJI Fly app, why don't you use that? It is much smoother!
Hey, thanks for the feedback. So the reason why I'm trying litchi instead of DJI GO (which I always in fact use) for this is that I want to do some "drone light painting" but I can't get DJI GO to do a POI at night as my light source isn't lite up enough for it to track. So I thought I'd try litchi to create a mission during the day (using doing a POI around the object) and then at night I'd just load and "run/play" that POI which would run fine. On the ground then I'd have my DSLR on a tripod with slow shutter to capture the drone's trail
Thanks Ro

Hey, thanks for the feedback. So the reason why I'm trying litchi instead of DJI GO (which I always in fact use) for this is that I want to do some "drone light painting" but I can't get DJI GO to do a POI at night as my light source isn't lite up enough for it to track. So I thought I'd try litchi to create a mission during the day (using doing a POI around the object) and then at night I'd just load and "run/play" that POI which would run fine. On the ground then I'd have my DSLR on a tripod with slow shutter to capture the drone's trail
Thanks Ro

Flying slower helps smooth it out some.

I have found that creating an orbit using a POI mission is smoother then using the built in Orbit.
Ah ok, so you mean create the mission in the Mission Hub and then play that out in the field etc at a slow speed. I'll try that. Guessing their are Air2s gimbal s/w issues anyways I'll have to wait on but I'll definitely try your suggestion.
Thanks Ro.

Rather strange. I tried Orbit with Litchi and Air 2S with drone painting and it went perfectly fine! Perfect circle!
Maybe you have some settings wrong...

Rather strange. I tried Orbit with Litchi and Air 2S with drone painting and it went perfectly fine! Perfect circle!
Maybe you have some settings wrong...
So to clarify, also forgot to mention - for drone painting I think it's fine as from the ground the orbit looks fine and smooth.
Another reason I'm using litchi is to (for a friend house which he's building) record and play an orbit / poi and then every few weeks play /run it so that at the end of the house build, after a lot of editing, I can produce a timelapse style video showing the build progression from start to finish. It's this use case that I need to get a smooth poi video of.
Thanks. Sorry should have included this detail earlier
Ro

Ah ok, so you mean create the mission in the Mission Hub and then play that out in the field etc at a slow speed.
Just crate about 12 or 16 waypoints in a circle around your POI then use a curved path between the waypoint to simulate a circle. The reason this works better, IMHO, is because a waypoint POI is calculated using a GPS location. The Orbit mode in Litchi is using the camera in the phone to calculate the path, pitch and yaw by trying to keep your POI in the center of the screen.

Just crate about 12 or 16 waypoints in a circle around your POI then use a curved path between the waypoint to simulate a circle. The reason this works better, IMHO, is because a waypoint POI is calculated using a GPS location. The Orbit mode in Litchi is using the camera in the phone to calculate the path, pitch and yaw by trying to keep your POI in the center of the screen.
Hey, great stuff f thanks for this detail. I logged into mission hub last night and created a mission but I'll definitely try your suggestion today. Will let you know how I get on.

Actually - how do you when creating your mission get your gimbal in the right position ? if I'm 60m in the air trying to capture a house I want to make sure that my gimbal is slightly pointing down so as the house is mostly centered in the capture as I'll 60m high.
Thanks ro

Last edited:
Hey, great stuff f thanks for this detail. I logged into mission hub last night and created a mission but I'll definitely try your suggestion today. Will let you know how I get on.

Actually - how do you when creating your mission get your gimbal in the right position ? if I'm 60m in the air trying to capture a house I want to make sure that my gimbal is slightly pointing down so as the house is mostly centered in the capture as I'll 60m high.
Thanks ro
Create a point of interest (POI) on the house or any subject you want to capture.

Create a point of interest (POI) on the house or any subject you want to capture.
Do you mean create the mission using the app while flying the drone (so you can then easily see the gimbal is in the right position) presumably or in the "mission hub"? When I did the POI originally and used that (i.e. not using the mission hub) it worked as a POI but very sideways je worked but no really usable or nice looking

So this time in Mission Hub I tried setting waypoints, 12 of them in a circle around the house and am looking at the results now. I'll post shortly with how I go on

Hey Guys,

From one of the suggestions above, today I created via Mission Hub 12 waypoints in a circle and set it's action as record along the 12 points. I was able to then in the field (real life) play the mission. The resulting video (after I stabilized it in Da Vinci Resolve) was a bit better than my original one but still not ideal. I've included below my mission settings and waypoints setting - maybe there's some setting I need to tweak). I set the cruising speed to really slow also.

Actually - can you from mission hub create/plan a POI orbit ? rather than waypoint type

Essentially I just want to create a mission of a smooth POI video I can play each week as the house is being built

Any suggestions ?

Thanks Ro

Attachments

• mission_settings.jpg
    mission_settings.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 12
  • waypoint_settings.jpg
    waypoint_settings.jpg
    506.2 KB · Views: 12
Can you upload the Litchi .CSV file for the house you are trying to orbit someplace? I would like to play around with it to maybe help you out.
In Litchi you can export your mission as a .CSV file.

Using my Air 2S I wanted to see if I could produce a acceptable orbit in Litchi after reading your post. So what I did was use a program called Mission Planner. It allows the user to create a perfect circle of waypoints. Litchi only accepts up to 100 so I just used a 80 waypoint circle. Thanks to one of the members here you can save your mission and use his program to transfer it into a file that Litchi understands.
Here is what it looks like in Mission planner where I ran the orbit this morning.
(91).jpg

Now once opened up in litchi I added a point of interest where I figured the construction was taking place. I did have to go through each waypoint a tell it to point to the point of interest I placed. Might seem like a lot of work but it only took about 5 minutes. Here is what it looks like in Litchi Hub with the POI.
screenshot-flylitchi.com-2022.03.04-11_23_33.jpg

Now here is the video I got from the mission. The speed was 2 MPH. Unfortunately my neighbours house block my signal just before the orbit finished and the mission stopped but you will get the idea.

Reactions: TasosD
You should use orbit mode in litchi app instead of using waypoints

Can you upload the Litchi .CSV file for the house you are trying to orbit someplace? I would like to play around with it to maybe help you out.
In Litchi you can export your mission as a .CSV file.
Will do. I've attached it here now. It didn't let me attach a file of type CSV so I rename it to TXT so feel free to download it and then rename back to have a CSV extension
Thanks !! - Ro

Attachments

• Ballyannan_Orbit_Hub_1.txt
    2.9 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Jagerbomb52
OK it now has 90 waypoints all focused on the POI which is the house. All waypoints are 98 feet. You can change the radius of the orbit in Litchi hub to what ever you want. Hope this helps.
Same thing change the txt back to CVS
Ballyannan_Orbit_Hub_1.png

Attachments

• Ballyannan_Orbit_Hub_3.txt
    19.3 KB · Views: 10
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member