DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Air2S Battery left at one cell, is it bad?

TheSnowyPilot

Reactions
So, I have an Air2S (obviously) but to fly in the UK I need my A2 CofC, which has been a while in the making and still not happened.
In an attempt not to be 'that guy' and bring shame on the whole community by flying illegally my batteries have been discharged and unused for some time, so my question is, is this going to damage my batteries, and if it is, how do I store them safely and without damaging the cells?

Here's the guide lines regarding LiPo & LiIon batteries ...

-Don't long term store them with a cell voltage outside 3,7-3,8v...that is a battery charged to approx 50%.
-Cycle them (fully charge & drain) at least once each third month ... then place back to storage voltage or %.

For regular use don't leave the batteries outside 30-60% for longer than 48h ... a good thumb rule is to take them of the charger as soon as the third led start to blink, then they are just over 50%. But anything between 1 solid + 1 blinking up to 2 solid + 1 blinking is good enough.

Here's the guide lines regarding LiPo & LiIon batteries ...

-Don't long term store them with a cell voltage outside 3,7-3,8v...that is a battery charged to approx 50%.
-Cycle them (fully charge & drain) at least once each third month ... then place back to storage voltage or %.

For regular use don't leave the batteries outside 30-60% for longer than 48h ... a good thumb rule is to take them of the charger as soon as the third led start to blink, then they are just over 50%. But anything between 1 solid + 1 blinking up to 2 solid + 1 blinking is good enough.
So use them and then keep going with what I have been until I can use them regularly?

So use them and then keep going with what I have been until I can use them regularly?
Don't know how you've had them up til now ... but if they been at 50% they are fine. Just charge cycle them each 3 month place back on 50% & continue to long term store.

Don't know how you've had them up til now ... but if they been at 50% they are fine. Just charge cycle them each 3 month place back on 50% & continue to long term store.
I have them at one flashing light currently.

@TheSnowyPilot ,keep them at around 2 lights solid ,
as they have been at a low voltage for some time ,i would fully charge them, then let the auto discharge sequence kick in and auto discharge them
if you have no other means of discharging them

Keep an eye on the cell voltages once charged, IF they even charge. Look for any large deviation between cells to check for damage. If not very close to even volts, battery is bad. Good luck

Battery 1: 3.59, 3.59, 3.59 - 3%
Battery 2: 3.64, 3.65, 3.64 - 15%
Battery 3: 3.58, 3.58, 3.57 - 2%

All set to charge now.

Battery 1: 3.59, 3.59, 3.59 - 3%
Battery 2: 3.64, 3.65, 3.64 - 15%
Battery 3: 3.58, 3.58, 3.57 - 2%

All set to charge now.
Yeah ...shouldn't be catastrophic, but depending on how long you've had them there some internal resistance build up may have occurred ... when you start to use them again you might notice that those 3 can be prone to generate larger cell voltage deviations when stressed in Sport mode or flight's in hot/cold ambients. If so ... this mistake have in reality shortened those batteries usable service life.

Lithium batteries needs care ... so adding a lot of gadgets with that kind of batteries will require it's share of your time & attention.

The last picture I have is from the thirteenth of November. So a little over two months.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS