DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airborne Osmo

Twocalf

Reactions
I had my OP for 1 week before taking a small plane flight with a friend of mine. Much of the footage that I took from the backseat the narrow 2 seater is quite shaky. When I lowered the smeared plexiglass window for a sharper image the air stream would really rock the camera on its gimbal. There was a sweet spot but it was hard to find! Hopefully this won't be too boring as it's long at 5 1/2 minutes. Ironically the only still images I had were taken back in 1978 when I was doing my field work in this area. Anyway...my first OP try.

Here's one I took with a GoPro on my Husky wing strut, running the river between Markleeville and Carson Valley. It was a bit late in the day, so thermals kicking off had me keeping the speed a bit higher than I'd like (makes for wider turns). Video gets more interesting after 3 or 4 minutes in.

Enjoy the ride!

Here's one I took with a GoPro on my Husky wing strut, running the river between Markleeville and Carson Valley. It was a bit late in the day, so thermals kicking off had me keeping the speed a bit higher than I'd like (makes for wider turns). Video gets more interesting after 3 or 4 minutes in.

Enjoy the ride!
Well Mr. Bumper, that was quite the wild ride! I enjoyed seeing that stretch of country. I lived/worked over the hill near Copperopolis, CA in the late 80's and drove Highway's 88, and 4/89 on numerous occasions. I tried using a warp stabilizer (Adobe Premiere) with my Osmo Pocket aerial footage but it didn't really fix the "porpoising" effect of the camera being buffeted. I know that speed and proximity to objects are magnified with action cameras but you're quite the gnarly daredevil pilot at 74! Merry Christmas and thanks for sharing!

Reactions: bumper
Hopefully this won't be too boring as it's long at 5 1/2 minutes.

Fun to watch. You had me when you showed the pilot starting the engine by spinning the prop like it was a small RC plane! Then I became fascinated with what evidently was interesting the geologist in you. Boring to most people, but you guys and your “rocks” are so ”nerdy”. Coming from an engineer, that is meant as a complement. But what kept me watching until the very end was the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers sound track ... Learning to Fly. So appropriate especially on landing when the lyrics say that the “hardest part is coming down”.

Thanks for sharing.

Reactions: bumper and Twocalf
Fun to watch. You had me when you showed the pilot starting the engine by spinning the prop like it was a small RC plane! Then I became fascinated with what evidently was interesting the geologist in you. Boring to most people, but you guys and your “rocks” are so ”nerdy”. Coming from an engineer, that is meant as a complement. But what kept me watching until the very end was the Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers sound track ... Learning to Fly. So appropriate especially on landing when the lyrics say that the “hardest part is coming down”.

Thanks for sharing.
My pleasure and I figured that the old Tom Petty tune would be appropriate! Yes, those little Piper Cub's are pretty simple (no starter in this one), but a real hoot to fly in because it is literally flying "by the seat of your pants". We packed my M2P in the plane with us and were looking for some places to land and use the drone to capture some of the geology with a better camera but opted to spend more time flying around the region. I hope to fly the Breaks again next spring in early morning light where those geologic structures with really pop.

Reactions: bumper
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
testtest