DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft Orientation Display

timjet

Reactions
I'm a newbee. I've flown my MM 5 or 6 times and all is well except I've noticed about half the time I've flown it the aircraft orientation display is not correct. The last time I flew it the display was incorrect. It showed the aircraft behind me and pointed in the wrong direction. I was clearly facing the aircraft. When I turn the aircraft the display shows that it turns but again the orientation is not correct. So the little triangle is facing the wrong way and the position of the aircraft in relation to the controller (the clock position) is not correct. But the display does show aircraft movement, just not correctly aligned.
I have calibrated the compass twice. The aircraft responds correctly to all my controller inputs.
Any ideas.

there's a "Search forums" option at the top right of the window. Alternatively just browse through the pages. This topic has been discussed many times so you won't have to search long to find it. Many theories, not that many solutions. Try to calibrate the compass of the phone or just ignore the display. You shouldn't rely on it anyways.

As suggested by @CarstenB do the search and see the possible solutions/reasons.

If the cable length allows and you can, slide the phone a bit further away from the controller and calibrate the phone in the controller's claws to minimize the magnetic interference. A few millimeters might make the difference.

Also check the orientation icon when you are in flight and not just a few feet from the controller. It's not that accurate at close range.

Try using the "Map" in the lower left corner. Click on it to switch the view to full screen. It has much more info than the orientation icon.

That's guys I will try using the map function. I like the orientation display, is it unreliable and why you don't like it?
Are you suggesting to calibrate the compass in the phone? Why does the phone compass come into play? And how would I do that?

There is a magnet speak in the controller. If you get a longer cord then turn your phone and you see it is affecting the orientation.

Then you might want to get a holder that will hold your device away from your controller.

This might be cheaper than getting a different phone that your compass is not affected from magnet interference.

Again, thanks guys for all your help. Went out an flew this morning using the map display. It works great. Still getting use to it but it does work all the time.
I'm still getting use to the correct control inputs especially when the MM is returning. I'm still haven't developed the muscle memory that turns it the correct way when returning. More practice needed. I'm lucky in that I live on a lake and can fly over the lake without any trees or other obstructions. I just go out on the dock and play away.
Are there any apps or programs available to help in developing the skill of turning the correct way when returning?

Again, thanks guys for all your help. Went out an flew this morning using the map display. It works great. Still getting use to it but it does work all the time.
I'm still getting use to the correct control inputs especially when the MM is returning. I'm still haven't developed the muscle memory that turns it the correct way when returning. More practice needed. I'm lucky in that I live on a lake and can fly over the lake without any trees or other obstructions. I just go out on the dock and play away.
Are there any apps or programs available to help in developing the skill of turning the correct way when returning?
Since you're on a lake a great way to practice is to use an inexpensive RC boat. You are in VLOS in a wide open area and the boat can do quick turns in all directions at different speeds and not worry about altitude. You can concentrate on turning left/right from the driver's perspective not the observer's perspective.

If you can, get a boat/controller that you can set up so the two control sticks are the same as the mini's. Right stick forward/back for speed (forward/reverse) and left stick right/left for yaw (rudder turning).
Here's a link to one on - Amazon -

Using a RC car or toy copter works too but more limited with area and environment and the controls may not be configurable to mimic the mini's.

Reactions: ff22
What tends to work for me is to have the mini in front of me (flying or on the ground, but far enough away) and then if I see the indicator is way off, I make a figure 8 movement with the remote while the smartphone is connected. This helps calibrate the smartphone while it is in the proximity of the magnet in the remote.
Probably means the compass of the smartphone is way off when I disconnect it from the remote, but that doesn't matter to me.

Reactions: dino9832 and ff22
If you are just flying home at altitude, fly it backwards, that way your control entry will be what you prefer.

When i was starting out and getting used to controls when i was unsure or wanted to be sure I was pointing home or if wind picked up I would press the rth button on controller and let it turn itself towards home then depending on the situation like if it was windy id cancel the rth once it was pointing home then sports mode and drop some altitude and just straight line forward... eventually itll become more natural and ull feel confident in knowing what stick input is going to do what... i tell ya tho when flying in tight spaces its a whole different game easy to mess up

Reactions: ff22
What tends to work for me is to have the mini in front of me (flying or on the ground, but far enough away) and then if I see the indicator is way off, I make a figure 8 movement with the remote while the smartphone is connected. This helps calibrate the smartphone while it is in the proximity of the magnet in the remote.
Probably means the compass of the smartphone is way off when I disconnect it from the remote, but that doesn't matter to me.
This procedure seems to work for me also. MM powered up. Walk back a few paces, then power on the remote while facing the MM.
I had the remote off to the side when power up once, and the position was all off! I like knowing where the MM is and direction. It helps in pointing the remote for the best signal. Plus, when losing signal you want the MM facing at 0 or 180 degrees from you for reacquiring the signal.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
carlos22