DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Aircraft orientation

Mavic-Max

Reactions
Hi all. Chuffed to bits with my Air 2. Had it now for about 3 weeks. I connected and iPad 6 generation to it today and I like what I see. Except the AIRCRAFT ORIENTATION is out by 180’. The iPad does not have a SIM card. I connected the iPad to my iPhones hotspot and it made no difference. I can only guess is something to do with the iPads compass or lack of compass. It’s strange that it does follow the Air 2 but is 180’ degrees out. Any ideas what’s the reason for this

Not clear if you’re talking about the aircraft’s orientation on the map or the little icon in the middle bottom of the app.
If it’s the former, calibrate the compass of the drone. Although i imagine its highly unlikely this is the case as you wouldn’t be able to fit in this scenario.
If it’s the latter, it’s using your device’s compass, so you need a compass for that to work. If you do have a compass but it’s not showing the correct information, you need to calibrate your device’s compass after mounting it to the remote

Reactions: THE CYBORG
The compass calibration is turned on in settings. I’ve turned it off and back on but still out by 180’
Adjustments.JPG

Attachments

• Adjustments.JPG
    Adjustments.JPG
    132.1 KB · Views: 33
Reactions: THE CYBORG
Just curious, what happens if you flip the iPad 180 degrees in the mount?

That was my thought. When the battery has charged I’ll have the Lightning port on the left and see if it makes any difference

That was my thought. When the battery has charged I’ll have the Lightning port on the left and see if it makes any difference
Long-shot, but worth a try. Let me know the outcome.

I’ve flipped the iPad so the connection is on the left. When the Air 2 is over about 12 feet away the compass orientation symbols spins round and reads correctly. Must be picking up some interference from from somewhere. I’ll try again out in a field tomorrow

Reactions: LoganAir
That's good news. Enjoy your flight time tomorrow.

I’ve flipped the iPad so the connection is on the left. When the Air 2 is over about 12 feet away the compass orientation symbols spins round and reads correctly. Must be picking up some interference from from somewhere. I’ll try again out in a field tomorrow
I've got the same issue where the compass occasionally goes wonky in flight on my iPad, mounted with the connection on the right side, and I just hold the controller tightly and do the figure 8 motion with it and the mounted iPad until it resets itself, while still keeping the antenna pointed at the drone. Rinse and repeat, as necessary!

Reactions: BigAl07
This is a very well known problem. You can do a search and read all kinds of responses. Nothing seems to fix this problem for everyone. Calibrating the compasses on both drone and devise doesn’t help.

This whole problem is ridiculous because dji had an excellent orientation feature with the GO4 app. It was always correct. Not a single problem. Now with the Fly app, most people are having a problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: BigAl07
This is a very well known problem. You can do a search and read all kinds of responses. Nothing seems to fix this problem for everyone. Calibrating the compasses on both drone and devise doesn’t help.

This whole problem is ridiculous because dji had an excellent orientation feature with the GO4 app. It was always correct. Not a single problem. Now with the Fly app, most people are having a problem.
Happens with GO 4, too, on the M2, so not exclusively limited to the Fly app. I suspect the Hall effect from the control sticks is contributing in both cases. Recalibrating the iPad compass does restore the correct functionality for me, even in flight.

Yesterday I tried using the iPad with the lightning port on the left and right hand side. It made no difference. I also had the red symbol with the strike out line through it. As it’s something I look at quite a lot I’ll stick with using my iPhone 11 Pro.

H
Yesterday I tried using the iPad with the lightning port on the left and right hand side. It made no difference. I also had the red symbol with the strike out line through it. As it’s something I look at quite a lot I’ll stick with using my iPhone 11 Pro.
How are you mounting the iPad to the controller? Mine is suspended over the control sticks for a balanced setup, but it does place the iPad directly over the sticks, likely exacerbating the Hall effect. By using a phone, mounted as designed, the phone is away from the sticks. Thst's likely why I have the same issue with the M2, as my iPad is also directly above the sticks on that RC. Have you tried mounting the iPad between the RC and the antennas, using one of the extension brackets? I personally don't like the balance of that setup, but it would better emulate the phone mounting, and likely minimize the compass issues.

Happens with GO 4, too, on the M2, so not exclusively limited to the Fly app. I suspect the Hall effect from the control sticks is contributing in both cases. Recalibrating the iPad compass does restore the correct functionality for me, even in flight.

i am using the same Mini 4 with my GO4 app and my Fly app. I’ve never had a single issue with GO4. My orientation icon with Fly (using same mini4) has never been correct. Dji has a problem with the Fly app. There’s only a handful of people not having a problem with the Fly app.

I have a mavic pro and fly with a mini 4 iPad and have the same problem, I will also try the figure eight with the controller and see if it helps.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots