DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airmanship

AnzacJack

Australian Defence Veteran
Reactions
There are always so many discussions here about "rules", "laws" and "regulations", peoples interpretations and many examples of conflicting information. Pilots/operators are flying in many different environments under many different conditions all over the globe. The one thing we all have in common is that we are aviators, and the one thing that will always work in our favour, is the demonstration of good AIRMANSHIP. Reguardless where you are or what you are doing, good airmanship should always be evident in your behavious and attitude. I really dont hink that anyone could argue against this no matter where they are. And if you do think this doesnt apply to you and that the demonstration of good airmanship is not your problem, then i would say without a doubt, that you should not be operating any RPAS, outside of your own 4 walls.

So many definitions of airmanship, and this is something I get students to write on each year. However a couple of good examples are:

Airmanship covers a broad range of desirable behaviors and abilities in an aviator. It is not simply a measure of skill or technique, but also a measure of a pilot’s awareness of the aircraft, the environment in which it operates, and of his\her own capabilities.
Defined by FAA as:
1/ A sound acquaintance with the principles of flight​
2/ The ability to operate an aircraft with competence and precision both on the ground and in the air​
3/ The excercise of sound judgment that results in optimal operational safety and efficiency​
and ICAO as:
The consistent use of good judgement and well developed knowledge, skills and attitudes to accompany flight objectives.​
The key point here is "good judgment". It doesnt matter if you come across a low flying aircraft, a kit surfer or bushfire. You may think yourself to be "more in the right" than the other person. The only thing you have direct control over is yourself, and your ability to excercise good judgement. Flight safety must always be number 1 and the demonstration of good Airmanship is step in the right direction to safer, more efficient skies that we all share.

During all of the years that I flew hang gliders, we were constantly under the scrutiny of instructors and safety officers pretty much whenever and wherever we took to the air. These guys were not backwards in coming forward to offer advice and/or point out our mistakes - in other words, airmanship and safety were of paramount importance. Risky or illegal behaviour such as buzzing spectators or flying into clouds was simply not tolerated - pilots were suspended and in extreme cases lost their licences to fly.

Compare that heavily self-regulated environment with that of the recreational drone flying community and it's easy to understand why we have a long way to go before we can convince the airspace regulators that we've totally got our act together. Just my two cents worth.

Last edited:
There are always so many discussions here about "rules", "laws" and "regulations", peoples interpretations and many examples of conflicting information. Pilots/operators are flying in many different environments under many different conditions all over the globe. The one thing we all have in common is that we are aviators, and the one thing that will always work in our favour, is the demonstration of good AIRMANSHIP. Reguardless where you are or what you are doing, good airmanship should always be evident in your behavious and attitude. I really dont hink that anyone could argue against this no matter where they are. And if you do think this doesnt apply to you and that the demonstration of good airmanship is not your problem, then i would say without a doubt, that you should not be operating any RPAS, outside of your own 4 walls.

So many definitions of airmanship, and this is something I get students to write on each year. However a couple of good examples are:

Airmanship covers a broad range of desirable behaviors and abilities in an aviator. It is not simply a measure of skill or technique, but also a measure of a pilot’s awareness of the aircraft, the environment in which it operates, and of his\her own capabilities.
Defined by FAA as:
1/ A sound acquaintance with the principles of flight​
2/ The ability to operate an aircraft with competence and precision both on the ground and in the air​
3/ The excercise of sound judgment that results in optimal operational safety and efficiency​
and ICAO as:
The consistent use of good judgement and well developed knowledge, skills and attitudes to accompany flight objectives.​
The key point here is "good judgment". It doesnt matter if you come across a low flying aircraft, a kit surfer or bushfire. You may think yourself to be "more in the right" than the other person. The only thing you have direct control over is yourself, and your ability to excercise good judgement. Flight safety must always be number 1 and the demonstration of good Airmanship is step in the right direction to safer, more efficient skies that we all share.
well said sir, if you follow your ethos ,then you have nothing to feel guilty about,we can not control what others will or will not do in a given situation ,but we are in control of our own actions, and thats all that really matters at the end of the day

Reactions: Gindra