DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airplanes and Controlled Airspace

Trask55

Reactions
I'm a relatively new recreational pilot. I have a Mavic 2 Pro and live near a airport and because of that can not fly my drone above 200 feet. I have a FAA Recreational Pilots License and have been using LAANC to get permission before flying near my home. My question is (remember I'm a novice at this) if I have LAANC permission can I remain airborne if I can see or hear a nearby aircraft or do I need to immediately and safely land my drone? If I'm allowed to fly at or below 200 feet are airplanes suppose to fly above that altitude so I wouldn't need to land or alter course unless a collision was possible? I still learning and want to make sure what I do is both legal and safe.

As a rule of thumb, remember that you are much more likely to see them and from a much further distance out! Permission to fly in an area will not 'excuse' you from taking responsible action to avoid a collision - so my advice would be to keep your drone in Visual Line of Sight, and keep your eyes and ears open. If you see or hear an aircraft, then get as low as you safely can ASAP.

You must give way to manned aircraft. That rule has been around for a long time. I fly fixed wing and multirotors off an active runway (with permission) so if I see a plane coming in, I just stay out of its way. BTW a plane can sneak in on you very quickly if its coming in for a landing. Never rely on thinking you'll hear it coming in. We are required to have at least one person spotting while others are flying for this reason.

20200201_134629.jpg

Reactions: TampaTC
I have a FAA Recreational Pilots License

There's no such license. Do you mean you registered your drone as a recreational pilot?

There's no such license. Do you mean you registered your drone as a recreational pilot?
Actually there is, or was. It was developed in 2004 I believe. It allows people to be able to fly without needing the same requirements as a private pilots license. You're limited to only carrying 1 passenger and the aircraft cannot be powered by more than 180hp. I also believe no night time flight is authorized. That may have changed since I retired but that's the last I remember.

Reactions: MavicFlyer
Reactions: TampaTC
It's not a sUAS license - it's a Part 61 pilot category:

I'm aware of that provision of Part 61. Technically speaking, the FAA issues Recreational Pilot certificates, not licenses. A bit pedantic on my part, perhaps.

I'm aware of that provision of Part 61. Technically speaking, the FAA issues Recreational Pilot certificates, not licenses. A bit pedantic on my part, perhaps.

I see. From your reply above it looked as if you thought he was talking about an sUAS license.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jamoke