DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airport vs Heliport vs Helipad

OntheFly

Reactions
Confusing to me. When I use B4UFly app it shows I'm within 5 miles of a hospital helipad and gives me warnings. When I us AirMap, no such warning. Is a hospital helipad considered the same as an airport thus controlled airspace? Can someone clarify the difference?

Confusing to me. When I use B4UFly app it shows I'm within 5 miles of a hospital helipad and gives me warnings. When I us AirMap, no such warning. Is a hospital helipad considered the same as an airport thus controlled airspace? Can someone clarify the difference?

Pitch B4UFly it’s worthless. Rules have changed and so only airspace matters not proximity to an airport.

This is the only trustworthy source at the moment. ArcGIS Web Application

If your location doesn’t have a colored box around it you are good. If it does you are not good and have to fly somewhere else till the FAA gets their "stuff "together.

Last edited by a moderator:
For the time being assume there isn’t really any connection between controlled airspace and the location of an airport.

?The truth is there is a connection but it’s too complex to say there one overriding equation to figure out controlled airspace based on the proximity of an airport

For future reference, from the FAA Remote Pilot - Small Unmanned Aircraft Systems Study Guide, page 65:
The definition for airports refers to any area of land or water used or intended for landing or takeoff of aircraft. This includes, within the five categories of airports listed below, special types of facilities including seaplane bases, heliports, and facilities to accommodate tilt rotor aircraft.
And a helipad is a small, designated area, usually with a prepared surface, on a heliport, airport, landing/takeoff area, apron/ramp, or movement area used for takeoff, landing, or parking of helicopters.

For the time being, follow Brett's advice.

Thanks all for the information. I was actually looking all over information on the faa website for a definition, so that is very helpful.

Last edited:
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000