DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airspace Authorization

MCO706

Reactions
I've had my Mavic Air 2 for a little over three months and regularly would fly it around my house, usually around sunset or right before work to get some sunrise pictures. I live in close proximity to a military base, but the DJI app said I was good to fly just needed to be cautious of aircraft flying in the area, but didn't require any unlocking or anything. I had no issues until an incident where I was informed I was in a no fly zone. I did some more research and realized the issue of just relying on the DJI app, I checked out Aloft and realized there was no where near me that I could fly due to controlled airspace and no LAANC interface. I contacted the FAA via phone and received a lot of good information from the agent and he suggested I put in a request on dronezone to get a blank authorization to fly in the area so I don't need to submit individual requests to fly.
Maybe I misunderstood what this authorization was for, because after it was approved there was even more restrictions imposed on flying and states I need to contact the base days in advance each time I want to fly. The authorization was approved for 1 year in class D airspace, but even outside of the class D airspace I'm supposed to request approval due to flight restrictions that seem to only apply to aircraft, not a SUAS under 400 feet. Maybe I'm just out of luck and need to drive 20 minutes to get out of the restrictions but it didn't seem that way when I talked to the FAA, it seems like the base is not on the same page as the FAA and is being a little unreasonable.
If anyone has any guidance, suggestions, or experience I would appreciate it, I'm trying my best to comply with the rules and understand more about flying responsibly.
The restrictions are around NAS Pax River, R-4005, R-4006, and R-4007

Nothing really unusual here. Authorizations you get from DroneZone for flying in military controlled airspace frequently have additional conditions that require you to notify the base ahead of each operation.

Reactions: MCO706 and BigAl07
I've had my Mavic Air 2 for a little over three months and regularly would fly it around my house, usually around sunset or right before work to get some sunrise pictures. I live in close proximity to a military base, but the DJI app said I was good to fly just needed to be cautious of aircraft flying in the area, but didn't require any unlocking or anything. I had no issues until an incident where I was informed I was in a no fly zone. I did some more research and realized the issue of just relying on the DJI app, I checked out Aloft and realized there was no where near me that I could fly due to controlled airspace and no LAANC interface. I contacted the FAA via phone and received a lot of good information from the agent and he suggested I put in a request on dronezone to get a blank authorization to fly in the area so I don't need to submit individual requests to fly.
Maybe I misunderstood what this authorization was for, because after it was approved there was even more restrictions imposed on flying and states I need to contact the base days in advance each time I want to fly. The authorization was approved for 1 year in class D airspace, but even outside of the class D airspace I'm supposed to request approval due to flight restrictions that seem to only apply to aircraft, not a SUAS under 400 feet. Maybe I'm just out of luck and need to drive 20 minutes to get out of the restrictions but it didn't seem that way when I talked to the FAA, it seems like the base is not on the same page as the FAA and is being a little unreasonable.
If anyone has any guidance, suggestions, or experience I would appreciate it, I'm trying my best to comply with the rules and understand more about flying responsibly.
The restrictions are around NAS Pax River, R-4005, R-4006, and R-4007
Yea that’s special use airspace so you are really lucky you get to fly there at all. Are you a part 107 pilot? I’m kinda surprised they would grant a recreational pilot authorization in any circumstance. There was a similar situation not too long ago where the base just flat out wouldn’t allow sUAS flights full stop.

It’s their rules there, the FAA is just coordinating basically.

Reactions: MCO706 and BigAl07
Yea that’s special use airspace so you are really lucky you get to fly there at all. Are you a part 107 pilot? I’m kinda surprised they would grant a recreational pilot authorization in any circumstance. There was a similar situation not too long ago where the base just flat out wouldn’t allow sUAS flights full stop.

It’s their rules there, the FAA is just coordinating basically.
I'm just flying recreational. To me it seems like there's some sort of confusion or misunderstanding between the two agencies. The FAA said I don't need to talk to the base for authorization, I need to use dronezone. So once I got my authorization it said I need to contact the base 5 days in advance before each flight to check in and register my drone with their counter UAS coordinator and ATC to request airspace. I called and talked to the base for clarification and even outside the 5 mile radius they want a prior request to fly. I'll just make the 20 minute drive to get out of their restrictions so I don't have to deal with headache. I'm just trying to get pictures when there's nice skies so there's not days in advance to plan those sort of things. I'm looking to get my part 107 and perhaps it will be worth the headache if there's compensation involved. I would be violating the rules of recreational flying if I attempt it in their airspace because I'm no longer having fun haha.

I'm just flying recreational. To me it seems like there's some sort of confusion or misunderstanding between the two agencies. The FAA said I don't need to talk to the base for authorization, I need to use dronezone. So once I got my authorization it said I need to contact the base 5 days in advance before each flight to check in and register my drone with their counter UAS coordinator and ATC to request airspace. I called and talked to the base for clarification and even outside the 5 mile radius they want a prior request to fly. I'll just make the 20 minute drive to get out of their restrictions so I don't have to deal with headache. I'm just trying to get pictures when there's nice skies so there's not days in advance to plan those sort of things. I'm looking to get my part 107 and perhaps it will be worth the headache if there's compensation involved. I would be violating the rules of recreational flying if I attempt it in their airspace because I'm no longer having fun haha.

It sounds like the FAA person you spoke to (and we all make mistakes) was speaking in general terms without knowing exactly what the base in question is requiring. Maybe they were new to the area or new to the position they are working in.

Either way the wording in the Authorization is a legal requirement to a "T". If it says contact you contact.. .if it says howl at the moon prior to launching we gotta howl at the moon LOL!

By all means take the drive and bring the FUN back into your UAS flying. Way too much fun to be had to let it change your ways :) Fly Safe and Fly Legal :)

Allen

Yea even for your run-of-the-mill civilian airport what they are asking you to do is pretty typical. At this point if an airspace isn’t LAANC enabled it is because it requires “further coordination” to get authorization to fly there. In this case the FAA doesn’t really control this airspace. It is a military zone controlled by the military.

You can really think of this like a military base in the sky. When you step onto a military base you have to follow the military’s rules. As @BigAl07 said if they say to howl at the moon you need to howl at the moon even if that doesn’t make sense to you.

Reactions: BigAl07
Nothing really unusual here. Authorizations you get from DroneZone for flying in military controlled airspace frequently have additional conditions that require you to notify the base ahead of each operation.
So put in request through Drone Zone first, and then they will let you know who to contact on base? First time trying to get authorization near a base.

So put in request through Drone Zone first, and then they will let you know who to contact on base? First time trying to get authorization near a base.

Yes, you will need to read the authorization document that you'll receive. It will have the terms and conditions of your authorization.

Reactions: BigAl07
Yes, you will need to read the authorization document that you'll receive. It will have the terms and conditions of your authorization.
sure if varies, but do you remember how long it took for you to get that authorization doc?

sure if varies, but do you remember how long it took for you to get that authorization doc?
I've never requested a military one, but I've gotten civilian authorizations from DroneZone in as little as 24 hours after submitting. I've heard military can take longer though.

The Few authorizations I have gotten for air force bases took no more then a few days to a week. Once had no big deal roll up call atc, fly, call atc, then roll out..

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kcb2627