DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Airspace confusion

AZrrt

Reactions
So I’m a little confused and hope you all can help. I’m told you CANNOT FLY within 5 miles from a major airport or any airport for that matter.

At work I am less than 2 miles from work and the B4UFly app shows “No Fly Zone, airport restriction”. Makes total sense. At my house at house at 7 miles away it B4UFly and Hover state no altitude above 400 feet. In the hover app I’m in the yellow (on the edge) do I still need to call?

Also if I’m within 5 miles it’s absolutely
No fly zone or I just have to call?

Thanks

For recreational users, you need to "inform" ATC when/where you'll be flying if you're inside the 5-mile perimeter. Notice I say "inform", not "seek permission", as technically the tower folks can't prohibit you from flying there. If they do, then the assumption of risk is much higher for you, since they told you not to, but by law, they can't prohibit you from flying there.

The 400 feet is again a FAA recommendation, not a law per se. Legally, the FAA is prohibited from regulating the flight of recreational UAS's, so they can only provide the altitude limit as a safety guideline, not a regulation.

Read contacting guidelines here:
Contacting Airports: Hobby vs. Commercial Drone Requirements
Read about FAA requirements here:
Fly for Fun under the Special Rule for Model Aircraft

Here's the special rule related to recreational drone use:

SEC. 336. SPECIAL RULE FOR MODEL AIRCRAFT. (a) IN GENERAL.—Notwithstanding any other provision of law relating to the incorporation of unmanned aircraft systems into Federal Aviation Administration plans and policies, including this subtitle, the Administrator of the Federal Aviation Administration may not promulgate any rule or regulation regarding a model aircraft, or an aircraft being developed as a model aircraft, if— (1) the aircraft is flown strictly for hobby or recreational use; (2) the aircraft is operated in accordance with a communitybased set of safety guidelines and within the programming of a nationwide community-based organization; (3) the aircraft is limited to not more than 55 pounds unless otherwise certified through a design, construction, inspection, flight test, and operational safety program administered by a community-based organization; (4) the aircraft is operated in a manner that does not interfere with and gives way to any manned aircraft; and (5) when flown within 5 miles of an airport, the operator of the aircraft provides the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport) with prior notice of the operation (model aircraft operators flying from a permanent location within 5 miles of an airport should establish a mutually-agreed upon operating procedure with the airport operator and the airport air traffic control tower (when an air traffic facility is located at the airport)). (b) STATUTORY CONSTRUCTION.—Nothing in this section shall be construed to limit the authority of the Administrator to pursue enforcement action against persons operating model aircraft who endanger the safety of the national airspace system. (c) MODEL AIRCRAFT DEFINED.—In this section, the term ‘‘model aircraft’’ means an unmanned aircraft that is— (1) capable of sustained flight in the atmosphere; H. R. 658—68 (2) flown within visual line of sight of the person operating the aircraft; and (3) flown for hobby or recreational purposes.

Reactions: Stunnajd112
I assume I can fly over a stadium if no even is happening and no one is there correct?

Yes you can. Here's the rule from the FAA:
https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Notice/N_8900.370.pdf

Relevant part is on page A-1:

"PURSUANT TO 14 CFR SECTION 99.7, SPECIAL SECURITY INSTRUCTIONS, COMMENCING ONE HOUR BEFORE THE SCHEDULED TIME OF THE EVENT UNTIL ONE HOUR AFTER THE END OF THE EVENT. ALL AIRCRAFT OPERATIONS; INCLUDING PARACHUTE JUMPING, UNMANNED AIRCRAFT AND REMOTE CONTROLLED AIRCRAFT, ARE PROHIBITED WITHIN A 3NMR UP TO AND INCLUDING 3000FT AGL OF ANY STADIUM HAVING A SEATING CAPACITY OF 30,000 OR MORE PEOPLE WHERE EITHER A REGULAR OR POST SEASON MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL, NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE, OR NCAA DIVISION ONE FOOTBALL GAME IS OCCURRING. THIS NOTAM ALSO APPLIES TO NASCAR SPRINT CUP, INDY CAR, AND CHAMP SERIES RACES EXCLUDING QUALIFYING AND PRE-RACE EVENTS."

Reactions: Ro-Dee and AZrrt
Yeah this helps.. at home I'm right in the middle of two airports based on the UAV forcast app on android. Is there anything about not flying in certain national parks in LA County . I tested out my drone in El dorado park where a group of people flew their RC planes and copters.

Attachments

• Airport 5mi radius.jpg
    Airport 5mi radius.jpg
    943.6 KB · Views: 22
While the B4UFly app sucks, please read it more carefully. It states as follows:

You are within 5 miles of an airport
By Law, you must notify the airport operator and the air traffic control tower (if one is present) of your flight.

This is the first page displayed when it detects your location.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
svdroneshots