DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alientech 5.8ghz range booting antenna

Sowsalbitters

Reactions
Hello has anyone on the forum used Alientech 5.8 ghz signal booster antenna upgrade? Curious. Wonder if it’s a good or bad product. I mean it’s pricy and I have to install it myself on a dji smart controller. Any info is appreciated.

I briefly considered it, but given the stock excellent range of the Smart Controller / M2 combo, decided no. That and effective range is predicated on two-way communication. The boost (or amplified signal from the SC to the drone), would extend that part of the com link,. Then improved reception of the Alientech, if any, may help on the flip side, but again, is anyone complaining about stock range? I'm not.

Thanks man. I appreciate it. That’s where I’m at. Cost and reward. I do like the amplified video and photo boost or maybe boost I guess.

I’m using it. The install was a little tricky but if you follow online videos you will be fine, you just have to be careful with the delicate parts like the antenna leads. Hardest part is getting the old antennas out of the controller. It does boost range - but no where near like the videos on their website. It makes the remote very directional so when beyond line of sight (Which I never recommend doing but know people do) have to pay close attention as to where you are pointing remote or you will lose connectivity. What I have found is the non-amplified antenna does nearly as good a job! I did not expect this but I now fly almost exclusively with the non-amplified version! I have upgraded all of my controllers with the lugs - the mavic air was easiest to modify then the stock mavic 2 zoom then the smart controller. Now if you have line of sight to the drone in a straight line distance is better, but I’ve found trees and houses make this difficult where I am.

I’m using it. The install was a little tricky but if you follow online videos you will be fine, you just have to be careful with the delicate parts like the antenna leads. Hardest part is getting the old antennas out of the controller. It does boost range - but no where near like the videos on their website. It makes the remote very directional so when beyond line of sight (Which I never recommend doing but know people do) have to pay close attention as to where you are pointing remote or you will lose connectivity. What I have found is the non-amplified antenna does nearly as good a job! I did not expect this but I now fly almost exclusively with the non-amplified version! I have upgraded all of my controllers with the lugs - the mavic air was easiest to modify then the stock mavic 2 zoom then the smart controller. Now if you have line of sight to the drone in a straight line distance is better, but I’ve found trees and houses make this difficult where I am.
Wow thanks man. So I guess just sticking to the “stock” controller. Is probably best considering the void of warranty.

That's probably a good idea.

Some additional thoughts. Video and drone info display are a function of the SC's receive antenna, so boost plays no part in that.
As stock, the SC (and most of the other controllers) use two phased omni-directional antennas. If there were but one antenna, it would radiate and receive 360 degrees around, like a doughnut pattern. Having the phased array changes that to a degree, making the front and back lobes larger and stronger, thus imparting directional characteristics to the pattern.

The back lobe is, of course, wasted, so some companies are marketing parabolic reflectors that slide onto the antennas. The idea is to redirect the back lobe to enhance the front lobe. This is common practice in high frequency directional antenna design and so on its face it should work, and on both transmit and receive. I have them, less than $10, but haven't tried or tested them.

Amazon.com: Anbee Parabolic Antenna Booster - Signal Range Extender for DJI Mavic 2 Smart Controller: Toys & Games

Wow thanks man. So I guess just sticking to the “stock” controller. Is probably best considering the void of warranty.
Oh what I meant was the AlienTech non-amplified version If you are looking for better than stock range - it’s way cheaper and does give you similar benefits. That’s the one I find myself using the most. To be honest though, I’ve got 3 controllers for my mavic 2 zoom and one of them I’ve kept stock and I enjoy using that one too. The original controllers have really good range. If you are like me though and want to squeeze every last drop of distance possible, then go alientech non-powered. I’ve seen an increase in signal using it. Once you do the mod you can use either version.

Attachments

• 640973BD-49EA-4060-B0F1-1A9D9515D7B1.jpeg
    640973BD-49EA-4060-B0F1-1A9D9515D7B1.jpeg
    918.7 KB · Views: 44
  • A43E2BFC-1B14-468B-981B-9B8DFCDDC7AD.jpeg
    A43E2BFC-1B14-468B-981B-9B8DFCDDC7AD.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 44
  • EF51EC68-27F5-411F-8DEA-C00A08A68E32.jpeg
    EF51EC68-27F5-411F-8DEA-C00A08A68E32.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 44
Also, the non-powered alientech is a little bigger, but much lighter. It’s also dual band whereas the powered one is only 5.8g. The powered version is a bit heavy too and gets tiring to hold pointed at the drone. I believe this is why it has a tripod mount on it! The next thing I want to buy are the regular antennas for the alientech lugs so I can use similar to stock if I choose.

Attachments

• B4942CF9-E30D-4846-9D76-AC4F49628F57.jpeg
    B4942CF9-E30D-4846-9D76-AC4F49628F57.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 23
I’m all about how much distance I can fly on one battery charge - so far my record with the Mavic 2 Zoom is 50,000+ feet :). I’m the master of giant circles in the sky!
Its yours, you can certainly whatever you like with i.. I mostly just do photo shoots, and videos within line of sight, I do love using my DJI RE/Racing Goggles also, that FPV View Is Awesome.

Reactions: Frontrowme
Also, the non-powered alientech is a little bigger, but much lighter. It’s also dual band whereas the powered one is only 5.8g. The powered version is a bit heavy too and gets tiring to hold pointed at the drone. I believe this is why it has a tripod mount on it! The next thing I want to buy are the regular antennas for the alientech lugs so I can use similar to stock if I choose.

Hey Can we add our own booster to this if we wanted to?

Great post!!!
I live in a urban area and get around 1000-1500m of range (at 120-150 height). I would love to get more range so I’ve been looking for someone who’s tested the boosters.
Would you recommend the non amplified version also for urban areas?
It’s 1/3 of the price so if it’s almost as good, it would be fantastic!
What kind of extra range do you get, you think? 500m more?
Also: did you buy it at the alientech.ch website?
Thanks a lot!!

I just made this video for you guys.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ken28e