DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost Arrested

noosaguy

Reactions
Maybe I should have known better, but I was an Aussie traveling in Britain with my trusty M2P and wanted to get a shot of Stonehenge. I went out the preceding day to check it out and there were thousands of people everywhere. I wanted an early morning shot with long shadows so returned the next morning to the place I'd identified as a good launching spot, with a good view of any people or other problems.

I went at 5.30am and there was no-one around and no-one near the Henge so I launched the Mavic and did some shots. Now at no time did I fly over the stones, nor did I fly anywhere near people (there was no-one there except a couple of security guards). The weather was overcast so I had to forget about long shadows but about 10 minutes into the flight a car pulled up with a security guard inside. I made no attempt to hide what I was doing and he got out of his car and told me in no uncertain terms to get the drone away from over the stones.

I politely pointed out that at no time was I ever over, or near the stones and that I didn't fly over people. I also pointed out there were no signs prohibiting flights. He took exception to this and said the site was National Trust run and flying over National Trust land is illegal. At this point he threatened to arrest me. I hit the return to home button setting things in motion and apologised for my transgression. He waited until the Mavic returned then told me to leave the area immediately. I did as he said but I don't believe he had the authority to move me from a public road, especially as there were at least a dozen camper vans parked in the lane nearby. Anyway I did manage to get a few shots...

View attachment 79047Stonehenge-2.jpg

Great picture but being snarky to a Law Enforcement Office in a country you're not from could be one of the worst decisions you've made. It worked out well for you (might want to go buy a lottery ticket) but it's not something I would suggest doing as a habit.

Thanks for sharing your GREAT pic :)

Maybe I should have known better, but I was an Aussie traveling in Britain with my trusty M2P and wanted to get a shot of Stonehenge. I went out the preceding day to check it out and there were thousands of people everywhere. I wanted an early morning shot with long shadows so returned the next morning to the place I'd identified as a good launching spot, with a good view of any people or other problems.

I went at 5.30am and there was no-one around and no-one near the Henge so I launched the Mavic and did some shots. Now at no time did I fly over the stones, nor did I fly anywhere near people (there was no-one there except a couple of security guards). The weather was overcast so I had to forget about long shadows but about 10 minutes into the flight a car pulled up with a security guard inside. I made no attempt to hide what I was doing and he got out of his car and told me in no uncertain terms to get the drone away from over the stones.

I politely pointed out that at no time was I ever over, or near the stones and that I didn't fly over people. I also pointed out there were no signs prohibiting flights. He took exception to this and said the site was National Trust run and flying over National Trust land is illegal. At this point he threatened to arrest me. I hit the return to home button setting things in motion and apologised for my transgression. He waited until the Mavic returned then told me to leave the area immediately. I did as he said but I don't believe he had the authority to move me from a public road, especially as there were at least a dozen camper vans parked in the lane nearby. Anyway I did manage to get a few shots...

View attachment 79047View attachment 79049

Something are worth a little risk as you never see any footage of this and is most likely guarded . The Attachment is not working when you click on it and the picture posted is the size of a post stamp , are you going to post the video as i think that would be very interesting to see.

Phantomrain.org
Cutting edge gear for your Mavic
Coal

Reactions: noosaguy
Something are worth a little risk as you never see any footage of this and is most likely guarded . The Attachment is not working when you click on it and the picture posted is the size of a post stamp , are you going to post the video as i think that would be very interesting to see.

Phantomrain.org
Cutting edge gear for your Mavic
Coal
Thanks Phantom but I don't understand, the image is a reasonable size. I posted it full size not as a thumbnail so I don't know what you're seeing? I didn't shoot video because I didn't want to risk low altitude passes over the stones.

I also see the pic full size and it looks GREAT :)

Coal maybe reload the page?

Thanks Phantom but I don't understand, the image is a reasonable size. I posted it full size not as a thumbnail so I don't know what you're seeing? I didn't shoot video because I didn't want to risk low altitude passes over the stones.

When you click on the attachment : this is what you get.

Screen Shot 2019-08-06 at 10.04.50 PM.png

Great picture but being snarky to a Law Enforcement Office in a country you're not from could be one of the worst decisions you've made. It worked out well for you (might want to go buy a lottery ticket) but it's not something I would suggest doing as a habit.

Thanks for sharing your GREAT pic :)
Thanks Big Al but I wasn't at all 'snarky', to the chap. I was extremely polite and obeyed every direction he gave. All i did was question his assertion that I'd flown directly over the stones and that I didn't see anything in the vicinity prohibiting 'SAFE' flights and I did that in a courteous and polite manner.

View attachment 79047View attachment 79049

I just cannot believe you were not recording as that kind of footage you never see , and as Huckleberrry mentioned a once in a lifetime moment , maybe you can stand close to the stones and go back in time. Please. lol
Thanks for sharing the adventure.

I just cannot believe you were not recording as that kind of footage you never see , and as Huckleberrry mentioned a once in a lifetime moment , maybe you can stand close to the stones and go back in time. Please. lol
Thanks for sharing the adventure.
Cheers! I was a little concerned that what I was doing might not be completely kosher so I trod carefully. I didn't want to do something really stupid just in case. There were no signs to discourage flying and I was responsible enough to do it at a time of day that was no threat to anyone or anything. I deliberately didn't want to go over the top of the stones and my goal was to get a couple of images. I had no time to do anything but a few exposures because the guy was on me in a very short space of time. he wasn't rude to me either, just forceful and I certainly wasn't rude to him.

Reactions: Phantomrain.org
Lucky... where the security come from.?
Not as if it is a highly populated area??

Nice shot noosaguy and you handled that situation good. Thumbswayup

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu