DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

almost hit a building. thought and decisions

DroneDD

Reactions
last night the Mavic and I went to make a nice night and buildings shots and videos. the location was pretty open and there was a relatively small area with 100m tall buildings.
A few minutes into the flight and the quick decrease in signal strength was quicker than usual. At a 100 + meter altitude and a less than 20 meters from the nearest building the controller`s signal lost for 9 seconds which triggered the fail safe RTH option. I moved to a closer location and the image signal returned only to show that the drone is heading directly to the nearest building which standing between home point and the Mavic. Controller inputs didn't seemed to make any difference, I tried this while trying to cancel RTH mode.
Right when it seemed that Mavic is less than 2 meters from building and the footage going to be added to youtube`s drone crashes hall if fame, RTH canceled and the rudder inputs turned the drone 180 degrees and we managed to escape the crash vector. few minutes later that night the drone landed to die another day. Feuuu, that was a close one.

I chose the best time and location to film(late at weekend night, and a area that is very not active at this time in the week). the connection lost was somewhat expected but I think that the the fail safe trigger while flying in tight an close-to-controller location demand that the fail safe mode when losing connection will be to stay in place.

looking at the flight footage and seeing it while flying, i couldn't estimate the distance from the building (even thou it looked pretty **** close), I am not sure if the avoidance system took action or even recognize the object ahead. in other night flights I noticed that the collision system was inconsistent at recognizing potential collision. it is possible to view the system`s log and find out if the system took action or it was just luck that the RTH canceled at the right time?

I will appreciate any comment and suggestion. please let me know what methods do you use when flying to night-above-city mission.

enjoy your flights, DD

hey,
thanks, feels like pure luck:)
the RTH altitude is 30 meters.
I just noticed while replaying the flight on the DJI go4 app that when the connection lost the Mavic increased its speed to closed to 40km/h. While tried the RTH option at safe location the speed was much slower which makes me think if the drone speed was due to its hight. pretty odd. it also reinforce the choice to change fail safe option.

hey,
thanks, feels like pure luck:)
the RTH altitude is 30 meters.
I just noticed while replaying the flight on the DJI go4 app that when the connection lost the Mavic increased its speed to closed to 40km/h. While tried the RTH option at safe location the speed was much slower which makes me think if the drone speed was due to its hight. pretty odd. it also reinforce the choice to change fail safe option.
Definitely change RTH altitude to 120 if your going to go near 100 mtr buildings or trees.

Your obstacle avoidence does not work in low light so in low light/night flights you must not rely on this at all. You should set your RTH well above the highest obstacle.

Also not that when landing your downward facing sensors will also NOT work.

Another thing to consider is that the RTH Altitude is the altitude over top of the takeoff point. So, if the ground below the tallest obstacle is higher than the ground at the takeoff point, you'll want to set the RTH Altitude higher to account for that increase in elevation.

Hey all, thanks for your comments.
Apparently at the region of flight the RTH Altitude allowed is max 50m.
Anthony, thats the point, i have experience with night flight that the avoidance system did recognize object ahead but it make sense to jeep in mind that in night time its not system to rely on.
Msinger thanks it will be handy :)

Look at the flight record in the dji app, its almost represent the drama in real life: GoPro Splice

Is the MP powered up? It will only show 50m in the app until you are connected, then set altitude.
oops. for some reason I thought the settings saved in app while drone power off. sharp attention coolinfowler.
checked it again and it is possible to set RTH alt. as the max flight altitude, thanks Thumbswayup

Reactions: colinfowler
Another consideration is to have the drone hover in place as opposed to returning to home if the signal is lost, if you think you'd be able to catch up to it should something happen and also it'd have a good chance of a flat landing spot if the battery ran out. It would of course have to be set prior to flying far enough to lose that signal, much like RTH altitude.

Another consideration is to have the drone hover in place as opposed to returning to home if the signal is lost, if you think you'd be able to catch up to it should something happen and also it'd have a good chance of a flat landing spot if the battery ran out. It would of course have to be set prior to flying far enough to lose that signal, much like RTH altitude.
agree.
plan your flight, take into account you surroundings and alter your settings accordingly. also be fully aware of what your settings will do if something goes wrong.

Yeah, thanks. That is the conclusion that sounds best.
i will add one more condition to my pre flight checks. In short: when flying close to controller (<1km),slow winds, location is filled with tall objects there are two options for connection issues: Set RTH altitude higher then taller object around or make the drone hover in place.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kmikebennett