DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost landed on the water!

İmaginecars

Reactions
I have my mavic pro for 6 years now and this never happened to me before so I would like you guys opinion please. I was look for a lost drone to help my friend flying 200 feet away and only 30 feet high by the little island in our community lake. I had 30% battery and all of the sudden, screen started to countdown for landing! I try to put it on sport mode to over ride all others to bring him back but no response at all! It kept counting down and coming down for a landing on the water. Last 5 seconds, with the help of sport mode, I was able to push it forward to bring it to the edge of Lake and landed itself! I also noticed the "can't take off" message in red on screen? Like it was a restricted area or something but I started my flight with no restrictions or anything. It was all fine for 15 minutes in the air with no message or anything. What can cause the sudden count down to land automatically and not be able to cancel or override anything?
here is the link to the flight record. weird thing is I get the landing in 18 seconds warning first when all data looks great? than here comes the You are in a no-fly zone. Auto-landing Initiated message on the water and nowhere near any restricted area.. plus I was already flying there for 15 minutes with no issues? any idea what has happened? most likely NFZ. but, how? nothing there but dirt and water and homes. Also, is there any way to not auto land and just override to return home? Thanks!

DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Last edited:
Reactions: Droniac
Follow the instructions from here to start finding possible answers.

Paste the link here on the site for others to review.

Some of the members can really get to the nitty gritty parts of a flight.

Good luck. :)

here is the link to the flight record. weird thing is I get the landing in 18 seconds warning first when all data looks great? than here comes the You are in a no-fly zone. Auto-landing Initiated message on the water and nowhere near any restricted area.. plus I was already flying there for 15 minutes with no issues? any idea what has happened? most likely NFZ. but, how? nothing there but dirt and water and homes. Also, is there any way to not auto land and just override to return home?

Last edited:
The area you are flying in is controlled airspace from the Orlando Airport.

Screenshot_20221002_213900.jpgScreenshot_20221002_213603.jpgScreenshot_20221002_213424.jpg

Not sure if that would trigger the NFZ warning.

Do you apply for LAANC approval for the flight in that area?

I have been flying all around here for 6 years with no issues. It lets me fly with no NFZ. what trigger the landing in 18 seconds out of nowhere? That is what I am confused. I took off with no warnings, flied 15 minutes!! just like that NFZ? and any way to stop the auto landing at that point other than putting it in sport mode and come back asap... :))

Beats me. 🤷‍♂️

here is the link to the flight record. weird thing is I get the landing in 18 seconds warning first when all data looks great? than here comes the You are in a no-fly zone. Auto-landing Initiated message on the water and nowhere near any restricted area.
Your flight started half a mile east of the restricted zone for Orlando International Airport.
The 18 second warning looks to have shown when you were just short of the Enhanced Warning Area for Orlando Executive Airport.

i-rFb6BHr-XL.jpg

Your flight started half a mile east of the restricted zone for Orlando International Airport.
The 18 second warning looks to have shown when you were just short of the Enhanced Warning Area for Orlando Executive Airport.

i-rFb6BHr-XL.jpg

i-rFb6BHr-XL.jpg
Executive airporr is so far away from me though? It never gave me a problem before either. I'm 12 miles away from there. Let's say it's the airport zone issue.. Why the sudden landing notice? Why does it land right away without giving us to bring it back in certain time? 18 seconds? What is that? People will loose their drone because of this! Is there a way to override auto landing? I barely made it to land. Good thing I was so close to the land! What if I was out on the water a mile away? Seems like some kind of geo fence error by the app.. It should never let me start flying if NFZ zone! Thanks for the reply..

Executive airporr is so far away from me though? It never gave me a problem before either. I'm 12 miles away from there.
You were 6 miles from that airport and about 400 ft from its Enhanced Warning Area as shown on DJI's map.
i-5xZkbHj-L.jpg

Purple line = Enhanced Warning Area for Orlando Executive Airport.
Yellow arrow indicates Launch point
Red arrow indicates drone's location at 18 second warning.

Let's say it's the airport zone issue.. Why the sudden landing notice? Why does it land right away without giving us to bring it back in certain time? 18 seconds?
I don't know what set off the incident.
I was just explaining what DJI's mapping shows.
It should never let me start flying if NFZ zone!
You started in an authorisation zone, not an NFZ.
Flying in an area between restricted space related to two different airports, things can get messy.

You were 6 miles from that airport and about 400 ft from its Enhanced Warning Area as shown on DJI's map.
i-5xZkbHj-L.jpg

Purple line = Enhanced Warning Area for Orlando Executive Airport.
Yellow arrow indicates Launch point
Red arrow indicates drone's location at 18 second warning.

I don't know what set off the incident.
I was just explaining what DJI's mapping shows.

You started in an authorisation zone, not an NFZ.
Flying in an area between restricted space related to two different airports, things can get messy.
Thanks. How about any way to override the landing in 18 seconds? If I was far away, drone was landing on the water! I was very lucky. I couldn't do anything to cancel the landing.. Not even sports mode helped.. Any suggestions?

Thanks. How about any way to override the landing in 18 seconds? If I was far away, drone was landing on the water! I was very lucky. I couldn't do anything to cancel the landing.. Not even sports mode helped.. Any suggestions?
Only guessing, but since there was no barrier to prevent flying into the area, perhaps you would have been able to reverse out of it and back into safe air where you could have cancelled the auto landing?
Sport Mode won't make any difference when dealing with restricted areas.

Only guessing, but since there was no barrier to prevent flying into the area, perhaps you would have been able to reverse out of it and back into safe air where you could have cancelled the auto landing?
Sport Mode won't make any difference when dealing with restricted areas.
I actually learned something from this thread! Under no circumstances will I ever fly anywhere near a restricted zone. Without sufficient warning, you have no chance to recover the drone.

This whole "Authorization Zone" thing needs fine tuning by DJI. How about restricting altitude to 100 feet in these zones? Prohibiting all flight seems a little heavy handed.
For sure! It's getting out of hand.. Especially, auto landing with no warning while flying normally, no override option! Wtf!

I remember watching a Ken Heron video years ago when he was flying a Phantom "___" around Graceland in Memphis,TN when he approached restricted airspace, the Phantom simply stopped and wouldn't advance further.

He still had total control left, right, up,down,and backwards to exit the area safely.

I don't know if it only works on the Phantoms but it sure seems like a better a option than losing a drone with no control at all when it happens.

DJI may have changed it over the years with the multiple updates.

That's how things work normally.
And it's normal for the drone to warn and prevent launching without authorisation.
This case wasn't normal and why it happened this way is not clear.

most likely NFZ. but, how? nothing there but dirt and water and homes.

Those big blue circles, the dark blue at the right edge of this image, and the lighter blue extending all the way out to cover Orlando Exec and Orlando International, are Temporary Flight Restrictions (TFR) centred on Cape Canaveral. Would those have anything to do with this?

If you take off before getting a good GPS signal, the drone won't know it's inside a TFR. Once achieving a good GPS lock and waking up to find itself inside a restricted zone, it will auto-land.

If it is in a No Fly Zone and you do have good GPS lock before taking off, it should prevent the drone from ever taking off. If you take off outside such a zone and try to fly into it, it should prevent you from crossing the line into the zone.

Why should it allow you to fly for 15 minutes, presumably with good GPS, before suddenly announcing auto-landing? Did the Cape Canaveral TFR take effect sometime after you took off? Does the GEO database automatically update during flight? Something's screwy here. 🤔

i-rFb6BHr-XL.jpg

Reactions: Droniac and Meta4
That's really all it should do. Feel like running into a fence.

Autoland is a bug feature if there ever was one. Something a little more than the feature calls for.

But flying a m1p, you could scrap the nfz garbage with sp and se and see what happens, and maybe that should disable autoland at least.

Dji and laanc don't coincide, and even then dji doesn't handle its own confusion between overlapping zones that well.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DoubleBarS