DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost lost at sea

Jimmyg31b

Reactions
I read the thread "lost at sea" and I had the same problem. While fishing 80 miles offshore, at a slow troll i launched my Mavic Pro from hand it went up and down but would not move forward or backward. I have not installed the latest update and it has worked in the past thank God It was almost out of sight but i was able to maneuver my boat under it and lower the drone.....I thought it was a goner fore sure! I'm a newby only been flying a few months what the heck happened and how do i fix the problem? I'm 57 so go easy lol

Reactions: Vacation guy
All that threads "lost at sea" (or almost) remember me the times before I got my mavic, watching hundreds of video on YouTube, half tutorials, half crashes, to be sure to learn by advance what to do and what to don't. Seems here is a kind of youtube in forum shape, maybe more crashes than tutorials. Unfortunately.

IMHO flying from a moving boat offshore requires to be even more cautious, far more than the usual paranoia. I learned from you guys that I will never take off my drone from a big boat moving at sea, ferry or navy. Made from a big mass of metal and having no control on that boats direction it's a huge NO unless I tied a looooong leach to my bird like playing a kite... Small boat from wood or fiberglass that me or my friends have full ownership and control in a sea that I can eventually jump in and swim myself and still using my drone floats, Yes.

Reactions: dwashy21
I read the thread "lost at sea" and I had the same problem. While fishing 80 miles offshore, at a slow troll i launched my Mavic Pro from hand it went up and down but would not move forward or backward. I have not installed the latest update and it has worked in the past thank God It was almost out of sight but i was able to maneuver my boat under it and lower the drone.....I thought it was a goner fore sure! I'm a newby only been flying a few months what the heck happened and how do i fix the problem? I'm 57 so go easy lol

It sounds like you need to log into your DJI account & activate the updated firmware.

If this activation process is not performed, the aircraft will not have access to the correct geospatial information and flight functions for that region, and its operations will be restricted if you update the upcoming firmware: Live camera streaming will be disabled, and flight will be limited to a 50-meter (164-foot) radius up to 30 meters (98 feet) high.

Reactions: mkdive
The only problem I see is if the downward looking obstacle avoidance is turned on the drone has issues with the water, reflection, transparency, it confuses the drone. Try turning it off.
I have flown mine over water off my sailboat while at anchor with this turned off had no issues. We are taking a trip to the Virgin Islands in January I am taking it with but again we'll be on a fiberglas boat.
Good Luck

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580