DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost lost it. Weird warnings.and screen recording of incident.

Howcroft22

Reactions
3932ED94-D980-461B-A1F7-41CFB9A82A86.png Today I was flying at a very large field. I had noticed earlier at the other places I flew I randomly got warning saying the GPS was lost switching to Atti mode. And compass warnings. I did and IMU, RC, and compass calibration. Everything appeared to be fine after calibration everything was in the green excellent readings. When I went to that field it flew around fine got a couple warnings again but it didn’t interfere. Then all of a sudden I got the warning again along with a couple others. And all of a sudden I lost both of my sticks. I had absolutely no control of the drone and it started to slowly drift away. I started running after it and eventually I regain control. There was some wind but that was not the case I could not control the drone in any way at all. I still had full signal and I could see everything fine through the camera screen the whole time I had no control over the drone. I had 18 and 19 satellites locked during this. I’m terrified now to lose this thing. I don’t know if there’s a problem with the compass or something. Even if I lost GPS I should still be able to have some control over the drone at even if it’s in wind I should be able to at least turn the stick to the left or right in spin it. But the sticks did nothing at all. like they weren’t even connected to the mavic . I grabbed a screenshot of the warnings as it was floating away.

Last edited:
Reactions: Danielplante
View attachment 32698 Today I was flying at a very large field. I had noticed earlier at the other places I flew I randomly got warning saying the GPS was lost switching to Atti mode. And compass warnings. I did and IMU, RC, and compass calibration. Everything appeared to be fine after calibration everything was in the green excellent readings. When I went to that field it flew around fine got a couple warnings again but it didn’t interfere. Then all of a sudden I got the warning again along with a couple others. And all of a sudden I lost both of my sticks. I had absolutely no control of the drone and it started to slowly drift away. I started running after it and eventually I regain control. There was some wind but that was not the case I could not control the drone in any way at all. I still had full signal and I could see everything fine through the camera screen the whole time I had no control over the drone. I had 18 and 19 satellites locked during this. I’m terrified now to lose this thing. I don’t know if there’s a problem with the compass or something. Even if I lost GPS I should still be able to have some control over the drone at even if it’s in wind I should be able to at least turn the stick to the left or right in spin it. But the sticks did nothing at all. like they weren’t even connected to the mavic . I grabbed a screenshot of the warnings as it was floating away.

I would reinstall firmware and call DJI at the least. *Edit, don't reinstall firmware until you have the logs and call DJI.

Holy crap man..... Can you post the logs on this? I am very interested in looking at them.

I’m not even sure how to do that.
I tried turning on the screen recording on my tablet but I believe that is when I started getting my controls back

I would reinstall firmware and call DJI at the least. *Edit, don't reinstall firmware until you have the logs and call DJI.
Well I haven’t updated the latest firmware update. But I was up to date until then. But a lot of people are running on much older firmware and don’t have these issues. I feel like the updates cause these problems. I don’t like doing them unless I absolutely have to. Also I don’t do those Geo fencing updates anymore either. I wish I knew what to do

Reactions: diegoaz
Well I haven’t updated the latest firmware update. But I was up to date until then. But a lot of people are running on much older firmware and don’t have these issues. I feel like the updates cause these problems. I don’t like doing them unless I absolutely have to. Also I don’t do those Geo fencing updates anymore either. I wish I knew what to do

Don't sweat it bud, we will figure it out for you but a call to DJI should be made in the event something is wrong.

Something is definitely up. If I’m getting at least one compass warning per battery. I flew in places I’ve flown before and didn’t have that problem. But they happened today. I did have a recent crash.

I think you can do it from ipad, we will have to wait for another member to chime in on that. I don't have IOS devices.

I actually did get the part where I lost control and it started drifting away on a screen recording. I’m trying to post it.

This is the screen recording of the mavic flying. Then losing gps and total control and drifting. You can see the map in the corner like I’m not even moving.

Something is definitely up. If I’m getting at least one compass warning per battery. I flew in places I’ve flown before and didn’t have that problem. But they happened today. I did have a recent crash.

The crash could have caused some damage but I a curious because I have gotten some weird compass errors and interference errors at the same time in the middle of the desert this was a good 300 Feet up with nothing around, no power lines... I have not crashed my MP and only got those errors once
This is the screen recording of the mavic flying. Then losing gps and total control and drifting. You can see the map in the corner like I’m not even moving.

On that page I sent you a link to datcon I believe. There should be instructions on getting the logs from the iPad. That is crazy scary and now I really want to look at those logs.

When you calibrate your compass make sure there is no metal objects with in 10 yards , actually 5 ' or more should be fine but Id go father to make sure you get a perfect calibration. Have someone else hold your Controller when you go through the steps too. 5' feet away , no metal in pockets is a must too. Give it a try . It may cure your isuue.

This suggests you calibrated compass in an inappropriate location.

The warnings can be misleading.

- You are in a good location, with a good calibration: All good.
- You move to a bad location: Your calibration is still good, but you get a warning that you should move or calibrate. If you trust your calibration is good, you must not actually recalibrate but move.
- If you calibrate there anyway you now have a bad calibration but that matches the bad location: No warning and everything looks OK, but isn't.
- As soon as you move out of the bad location (taking off and flying away being an example) you get warnings and bad behavior since the calibration is trashed.

Recalibrating without questioning it just becasue you get an app warning on the ground is the biggest mistake you can do.

The warnings can be misleading.

- You are in a good location, with a good calibration: All good.
- You move to a bad location: Your calibration is still good, but you get a warning that you should move or calibrate. If you trust your calibration is good, you must not actually recalibrate but move.
- If you calibrate there anyway you now have a bad calibration but that matches the bad location: No warning and everything looks OK, but isn't.
- As soon as you move out of the bad location (taking off and flying away being an example) you get warnings and bad behavior since the calibration is trashed.

Re-calibrating without questioning it just because you get an app warning on the ground is the biggest mistake you can do.

That is the single most-important post that I have read on this site to date, including the one about reversing the iPad in the RC clamps to prevent its magnets from interfering with the joysticks!

I've copied and pasted it into my Important folder.

Thanks!

Question: An Aircraft Status Indicator that is flashing green at the end of each of the two movements is NOT evidence that the calibration is "good" and was done in a "good location"?

Reactions: Skymax
2B1F68F9-5A7A-4DAF-A272-969B3E952A30.jpeg So I updated the firmware. Went to the most open field I could. And read calibrated the compass for the last time. I do not think it has to do with compass calibration. It flew phone for quite a while. Probably three batteries. Then I got a warning and it went into ATTI mode. Eventually the GPS came back. So I flew around close to Home just in case and it kept doing this Addie mode. Something is definitely wrong. Also I’ve been noticing that the aircraft seems to fly a little crooked. I don’t know if that’s just because there is some wind but I’ve never seen it do it before. It flies straight at whatever I’m trying to get to but it’s like it’s a yaw’d to the left or right. Now it’s telling me to reset the craft? What does that mean just shut it off and turn on?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121