DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost lost my Mavic Air!

FromPriusToJeep

Reactions
I had a huge scare yesterday evening while flying my Air in my neighborhood. I've flown it around the neighborhood quite a bit and haven't had any significant issues until now.

For this flight, I was never more than a few hundred feet from the home point and always within VLOS.

I was flying in tripod mode trying to practice. I was going towards a water tower in the distance and slowly rising while approaching. I never got close to the tower (several hundred feet away). I've flown around this tower before without any problems. I got a low batter warning and decided to call it quits and bring it home. So, I started to bring it home, still in tripod mode. I never received any warnings about weak signal. Suddenly, the video cut out completely, which I'd not experienced before. Then, the Air left tripod mode and went back to P mode. My iPhone told me that the Air was returning to home. I didn't want that so I cancelled it, or so I thought. At this point, I realized that I had lost all communications with the Air, not just the video feed. It wasn't responding to stick movements at all. It did return home, but scared me while doing so. I thought it was going to fly over me and keep going, as it seemed like that was going to happen. The entire time this was happening, the controller did not re-establish communications with the Air. When it got back, it wouldn't land because it was off enough that it was hovering about 8 ft above a car in the driveway. At that point, I rebooted the controller, as I didn't see any other option. The controller was able to re-establish communications with the Air, and I was able to land it at that point. I've pulled the flight logs and analyzed them, as much as I can. I need help here. I think there is missing log data for roughly 2.5 minutes. This would account for the time that the controller was out of communications with the Air.

Problem? See description above.

Was unit in a crash? No, fortunately

What have you tried so far? Analyzing log file, unsuccessfully

What device are you using ( iphone , ipad, Samsung , etc)? iPhone 8 Plus

What firmware are you running ( aircraft, remote controller)? Latest for both

What Go app version are you using? Latest for iOS (4.3.12)

Any modification?
(if so what) Using Master AirScrew quiet props

Did you change anything or install any apps? (if so what) No

Do you have a video or pictures of the problem? (if so post link) No

Here is the link to the log file:
DJI Flight Log Viewer - PhantomHelp.com

Any help figuring out what happened is greatly appreciated. I had enough of a scare that I'm a bit afraid to run it again.

Here's the flight log if anyone is willing to take a look. I really have no idea why the controller lost communications with my MA, especially when it was no more than a few hundred feet away, and very much in VLOS.

Attachments

• DJIFlightRecord_2019-03-17_[19-33-21].txt.zip
    1.4 MB · Views: 10
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Mini2boost