DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Almost Lost My Mavic:

Panhead55

Reactions
I was flying my Mavic Pro this AM in a very large soccer park (legal fly zone). At the normal low battery setting of 30%, the controller notified me as always. I set the low battery warning at 30% to give me plenty of time to RTH should I be out further than 1500 ft. However, at the 30% warning I was directly overhead. When I confirmed RTH it asked me if I wanted to return to HOME POINT or CURRENT LOCATION. Never did that before. It normally would beep and do it's return to home sequence. I hit RTH and the Mavic began to move away from me. I did not panic. I canceled the RTH. It then warned me CRITICAL BATTERY although it had 27% remaining. It began to land. I could not exit, I could not go forward or backward, up or down. Lucky for me the Mavic landed in an open field about 400 feet away. I search via the map and luckily I was able to find it with no damage. I ended my flying for the day and retuned home to check it all out. As an added note: I always do a preflight check of all settings and the aircraft to be sure there are no issues including any and all updates to firmware. It flew one full battery with no issues then on the second battery the issue happened as described. Any idea's?

Reactions: slaartibartfast
I'm assume you did, but will ask anyway - did you wait until you had a full GPS lock at takeoff before flying away?

Reactions: zbyhu13
Yes I had a GPS lock with 16 satellites. The question I need help with is, did the latest firmware update add RTH and return to current location on the screen?

Reactions: Mashuugana
I'm trying to figure out if I did something wrong or if the Mavic just decided it was going to act up and not land at the home point for some reason. The battery discharge from 27% to CRITICAL was less than 2 minutes.

did the latest firmware update add RTH and return to current location on the screen?
No. That was showing up in DJI GO some time ago. I'm not sure what triggers it to appear.

I'm trying to figure out if I did something wrong or if the Mavic just decided it was going to act up and not land at the home point for some reason.
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

I was flying my Mavic Pro this AM in a very large soccer park (legal fly zone). At the normal low battery setting of 30%, the controller notified me as always. I set the low battery warning at 30% to give me plenty of time to RTH should I be out further than 1500 ft. However, at the 30% warning I was directly overhead. When I confirmed RTH it asked me if I wanted to return to HOME POINT or CURRENT LOCATION. Never did that before. It normally would beep and do it's return to home sequence. I hit RTH and the Mavic began to move away from me. I did not panic. I canceled the RTH. It then warned me CRITICAL BATTERY although it had 27% remaining. It began to land. I could not exit, I could not go forward or backward, up or down. Lucky for me the Mavic landed in an open field about 400 feet away. I search via the map and luckily I was able to find it with no damage. I ended my flying for the day and retuned home to check it all out. As an added note: I always do a preflight check of all settings and the aircraft to be sure there are no issues including any and all updates to firmware. It flew one full battery with no issues then on the second battery the issue happened as described. Any idea's?
I 8 don't know if it's what happened to me once :
dji go app showed me 15% of battery left... but then I started to hear the beeps like "critical battery".. when i heard it I realized battery shown on the REMOTE CONTROLLER was 5% while on the app it still show 15%!
it got stuck for some reason... double check with rc... or just when in doubt!

Ok I'll have to figure out how to upload the files. I really would like to know if I did some thing incorrectly so I don't do it AGAIN. Thanks for your help.

RC was fully charged. I charge all batteries and RC prior to flying. I just charged them all this AM. Thanks for the thought though.

Msinger the youtube video you sent is for Phantom 3. It does not have the current functions for downloading Mavic files. Do you have another explanation of how to upload files specifically from the Mavic as this did not work and I have been trying for a couple of hours. Thanks

Knight Hawk thanks. The batteries are less than 5 months old. All are in good shape. All are discharged fully then recharged. They all (3) have not had any issues in the last 5 months. I don't think that is the issue. However, I will test that particular battery in a controlled environment to test it. Thanks for the input. I'm trying to download the flight data now to post for those who know how to review them to comment. Maybe I did something wrong? Who knows.

Msinger the youtube video you sent is for Phantom 3.
Are you referring to the YouTube video showing how to retrieve TXT files from iTunes? If so, those instructions are still current.

Reactions: BigEegit
I'd chalk it up to an anomaly --- a glitch. Human or computer error - no judgement. If it happens again you have an issue. Fly safe!

Are you referring to the YouTube video showing how to retrieve TXT files from iTunes? If so, those instructions are still current.

Flight record uploaded to site DJIFlightRecord_2017-07-31_[11-54-38].txt Thank you for your help. I finally figured out how to do the download and upload. Pretty easy once I followed the instructions you sent. Let me know what you find so I can make sure I don't do it again.

Thank you for your comments concerning my battery. My son who also flies a P4P said the same thing. I charged the battery in question last night and it fully charged and shows fully charged this AM. What is FW if you don't mind me asking?

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Corbo2000