DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Alternative to holding Mavic for compass cal?

Phil_in_CA

Reactions
Hi all,

I am a new member, but have had my MPP for a couple of months and flown for a few hours.

My question is, can I calibrate my MP without actually holding it and spinning in a circle? I have Cerebral Palsy, and I will admit that I cannot spin around while standing... I've tried using both my hands and trying to turn it slowly and carefully, but I think I am too ham-fisted to make it a smooth movement. That is certainly true if I try to turn in a circle while on my feet, sorry to say.

I have daydreamed about using a modified Lazy Susan to spin the MP but haven't spent the money to buy one and haven't seen one on Buy/Sell. LOL.

Your thoughts and suggestions gratefully received.

Phil

I have daydreamed about using a modified Lazy Susan to spin the MP but haven't spent the money to buy one and haven't seen one on Buy/Sell.
The good news is that your Mavic Pro should rarely (if ever) need compass recalibration.
If it's flying straight and hovers in place without wanting to slowly spiral, it's compass is calibrated properly and it won't need recalibrating unless you modify the drone by adding or removing components.

The good news is that your Mavic Pro should rarely (if ever) need compass recalibration.
If it's flying straight and hovers in place without wanting to slowly spiral, it's compass is calibrated properly and it won't need recalibrating unless you modify the drone by adding or removing components.
It is said by many that powering up in a new location triggers a compass cal prompt (I can’t recall the distance). I haven’t seen it with mine.

What about a strap to wrap about the body of the MPP? Then tie a string to the top. Just make sure the strap is around the center of gravity. Then spin the MPP on the string. Then turn is 90 degs and repeat.

Reactions: Tiago_Wolf
I have only calibrated once when I got the Drone new. Travelled at least 4000 Ks around Australia without recalibration. IMHO, I believe there is no need to calibrate unless the App specifically tells you it needs doing, or there are problems. You may well cause issues.

Would it be possible to get someone to turn the drone for you ? I doubt you will have to do it very oftain.
I only had a warning to calibrate when shooting a neolithic stone circle.
Who knows what mysterious forces were at work at that location.

It is said by many that powering up in a new location triggers a compass cal prompt (I can’t recall the distance). I haven’t seen it with mine.

It's only the Mavic 2 that has time- and distance-based calibration requirements (30 days and 50 km). The Mavic Pro has no set triggers other than out-of-range magnetometer values. Your rotating platform idea would work just fine though - provided that it isn't magnetic itself.

Reactions: Lbesing
It's only the Mavic 2 that has time- and distance-based calibration requirements (30 days and 50 km). The Mavic Pro has no set triggers other than out-of-range magnetometer values. Your rotating platform idea would work just fine though - provided that it isn't magnetic itself.
My M2P has never been calibrated, and has been flown all over the eastern US, for over a year. Also, my original MP was only calibrated once, and flown all over the US and Canada for years.
Calibration is only required when prompted, and even then a restart in a slightly different location, due to hidden metal, almost always eliminates the prompt.

Reactions: Drgnfli
When I started reading your post the first thing that popped into my head was a lazy susan but then saw you had that idea LOL I think the post about the strap would be a good alternative.

My M2P has never been calibrated, and has been flown all over the eastern US, for over a year. Also, my original MP was only calibrated once, and flown all over the US and Canada for years.
Calibration is only required when prompted, and even then a restart in a slightly different location, due to hidden metal, almost always eliminates the prompt.

That's quite possible - there are a number of Mavic 2 aircraft out there that don't request calibration for either time or distance. I've looked at a few DAT files from such aircraft, and those not requesting every 30 days appear to have "last calibrated" dates way in the future. I haven't seen logs from aircraft that are moved over 50 km without requesting calibration but there have been several reports.

Normally the M2 triggers compass calibration with the following event stream entries - these are from my M2:

10.932 : 454 [L-COMPASS][mag_cali_pt] date_from_last 33|
11.252 : 470 [L-COMPASS][mag auto cali(0)] init|

-72.595 : 1623 [L-COMPASS][mag_cali_pt] distance_from_last 9258717.0 m|
-71.577 : 1674 [L-COMPASS][mag_cali_pt] distance_from_last 9258717.0 m|

Reactions: Lbesing
and.........................Welcome to the Forum from the Sunshine State of Florida!

Thank you all, for your kind and helpful replies.

The Cyborg, I have been rereading the Outlander series, which prominently includes Standing Stones providing travel through time... I'm interested.

RayOZ, thank you for the strap idea. That would be so much more packable and useable than my Lazy Susan idea!

Thank you for the greeting, Greg. Good luck with Dorian, my friend!

The Womble, I have tried that, but it seems as if my fumbled fingered turning isn't greeted with success on the app; thus, my query. Thanks anyway.

I appreciate y'all's responses! No, I'm not Texan, but couldn't think of a good way to include y'all at the same time! LOL!

Phil

It certainly does seem to be a thing- I have no reason to dispute it. I am simply saying that my M2P goes +50Km and +30Days without asking to be calibrated. I never even bothered calibrating it out of the box.

It certainly does seem to be a thing- I have no reason to dispute it. I am simply saying that my M2P goes +50Km and +30Days without asking to be calibrated. I never even bothered calibrating it out of the box.

Right - I thought that you were talking about a Mavic Pro when I responded to your post. You obviously have one of the immune M2s.

That's quite possible - there are a number of Mavic 2 aircraft out there that don't request calibration for either time or distance. I've looked at a few DAT files from such aircraft, and those not requesting every 30 days appear to have "last calibrated" dates way in the future. I haven't seen logs from aircraft that are moved over 50 km without requesting calibration but there have been several reports.

Normally the M2 triggers compass calibration with the following event stream entries - these are from my M2:

I went to Cyprus last week - well over 30km, more like 3000km and I wasn’t asked to recalibrate although interesting I was when I got back to the UK.

Happy to post both logs of you want :)

I went to Cyprus last week - well over 30km, more like 3000km and I wasn’t asked to recalibrate although interesting I was when I got back to the UK.

Happy to post both logs of you want :)

Sure - it would be interesting to see why it didn't request calibration in Cyprus, and whether the UK request was distance based or something else.

Reactions: dannybgoode
Sure - it would be interesting to see why it didn't request calibration in Cyprus, and whether the UK request was distance based or something else.

More than happy to. Note I have never had the 30 day prompt either - unless the UK one is actually my first of those :).

Will dig them out tomorrow if I can muddle through your instructions.

Probably a difference in FW versions?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929