DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

ALTIMETER CALIBRATION ERROR

E90RAW

Reactions
I have noticed my M2P and M2Z both will have inaccurate heights noted on the SC. This seems to be a frequent occurrence to the point that I fly them back home and land on terra firma to reset the unit before flying again. I have had one crash so far when I thought I was far enough above the tree line based on the altimeter. Any thoughts other than just keep landing to reset periodically and being aware?

I have noticed my M2P and M2Z both will have inaccurate heights noted on the SC. This seems to be a frequent occurrence to the point that I fly them back home and land on terra firma to reset the unit before flying again. I have had one crash so far when I thought I was far enough above the tree line based on the altimeter. Any thoughts other than just keep landing to reset periodically and being aware?

How large is the error?

Reactions: E90RAW
How large is the error?
Its not large, maybe 3-5 feet. Sometimes it will show (-) negative number, but no more than 3-5. It resets no problem once I hit the ground..

Its not large, maybe 3-5 feet. Sometimes it will show (-) negative number, but no more than 3-5. It resets no problem once I hit the ground..

The altimeter resets automatically on landing and on motor start. That kind of discrepancy is entirely normal for barometric height measurements.

The atmospheric pressure changes over time. After a 25 minute flight, my M2P has once indicated that the altitude of the takeoff/landing point has changed by 3 meters.

Fairly sure the altimeters arent temperature compensated. I get a landing discrepancy every single flight from takeoff and landing (same on M1).. Usually in the region of 5-8ft, worst ive seen is 20. *ALWAYS negative*
Not that its an issue anyway, VPS is used to keep it off the ground if its low anyway.

I have been having this issue as well, This is my second M2P and both had the issue. My new M2P was just received from DJI last week, first few flights I noticed anywhere from a few feet to 35' off from the take off point. It's never less than 5-6' even on short flights, any distance away from the home point.

I rarely use the RTH, but should I ever need to, or there were an auto RTH for some reason, this does concern me.

I have been having this issue as well, This is my second M2P and both had the issue. My new M2P was just received from DJI last week, first few flights I noticed anywhere from a few feet to 35' off from the take off point. It's never less than 5-6' even on short flights, any distance away from the home point.

I rarely use the RTH, but should I ever need to, or there were an auto RTH for some reason, this does concern me.
Since my original post above I have also noticed the negative numbers ranging from 5 to 15 feet. I always make sure I round up 20 feet above any object I want to avoid just in case. This weekend I flew over water/ocean and wanted to stay 10 feet above to counter wind but instead kept it at 30 feet. Just one of those things to be aware of I guess.

Reactions: Delmarksman
I have this as well. Doing some repetitive exercises to hone my skills, one spot originally noted as 21+ ft kept lowering every time i went by that spot to the point where it was reading 4.7 ft and it was at the same height (visually) as when it registered 21+ ft.

I have this as well. Doing some repetitive exercises to hone my skills, one spot originally noted as 21+ ft kept lowering every time i went by that spot to the point where it was reading 4.7 ft and it was at the same height (visually) as when it registered 21+ ft.
That's common and completely normal.
That's just the nature of using a barometric sensor for altitude measurement.
It isn't a problem for flying your drone.

Reactions: bburnett15
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
miguelmas