DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude limit

I know that it was easy to do on previous firmware versions on the mavic Pro, but I tried to do this mod since newer versions apeared , but it does not works anymore ..from what I saw on tutos or threads about that..

How do increase the altitude past the legal and preset limit?
Your drone has a hardwired altitude limit of 500 metres and a user-configurable Max Altitude Limit that you are able to adjust in the app settings.

How old is this site when did this become available? What is the newest version of DJI Assistant?

The OP asks how to exceed the “legal” AGL limit. With my lawyer’s hat on I would advise people not to respond.

The other point, of course, is that it’s exactly this kind of behaviour that has led to all the restrictions and regulations in the first place.

If it’s illegal, don’t do it. Very simple really.

It’s the old 400 foot above a tower, building or mountain scenario. 400 above anything is legal as long as you’re not entertaining an airspace that’s above your location.
The 400 foot rule only applies to Part 107 Certified UAS pilots. Max of 400, above take point for all others

For MP root first to downgrade fw if you been on the latest fw. Plenty of tutorials around.

The OP asks how to exceed the “legal” AGL limit. With my lawyer’s hat on I would advise people not to respond.
He asked how to get past the preset limit which happens to be 400 feet.
But being >400 feet higher than the launch point is not necessarily breaking any rules at all.
Not everyone lives on a pancake-flat prairie.

Last edited:
Reactions: ecutech
I see many posts about increasing altitude limits but few if any on obtaining waivers for doing so. High altitude waivers have been a thing for many years in the model rocketry world. They routinely hit 100-200 thousand feet at some events. In fact there is a NOTAM in effect today in Blackrock for "Surface up to unlimited" for a yearly event. I would think drone waivers would actually be easier to obtain since a drone is infinitely more controllable in flight than a model rocket. Anyone actually have experience obtaining high altitude waivers for drone flights and how difficult was it?

I see many posts about increasing altitude limits but few if any on obtaining waivers for doing so. High altitude waivers have been a thing for many years in the model rocketry world. They routinely hit 100-200 thousand feet at some events. In fact there is a NOTAM in effect today in Blackrock for "Surface up to unlimited" for a yearly event. I would think drone waivers would actually be easier to obtain since a drone is infinitely more controllable in flight than a model rocket. Anyone actually have experience obtaining high altitude waivers for drone flights and how difficult was it?
No but looking at the FAA list of granted waivers it looks like it’s fairly common

The 400 foot rule only applies to Part 107 Certified UAS pilots. Max of 400, above take point for all others

Your post is 1/2 right.... yes only P107 operations allow for heights higher than AGL within 400' of a structure.... not hobby/recreational operations.

It's not Take Off Point (even though that's the only thing we have in our telemetry to go by)... the rule is 400'AGL which is the ground under the aircraft regardless of where the takeoff point is.

On flat ground this is fairly easy to compute but over uneven terrain it's a lot more difficult to estimate and maintain. Try to error on the side of caution.

Reactions: deleted member 877
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
J S