DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude question

Nickg8

Reactions
This may be a dumb question but here goes,
if altitude is relative to the take off point, what happens if I take off on the top of a cliff and fly down. Will the drone think that I am attempting to land and turn the props off or, will it go into negative altitude ?

It will go to negative altitude. Landing uses vision sensors on the bottom of the aircraft.

Reactions: dawgpilot
Thanks.
i was hoping it would do that. Just wanted to make sure before I tried it.

Two additions to the above
1) check what the drone does if it is very close to the ground ANYWHERE. And, just incase you are thinking of landing anywhere remote,
2) check for battery charge thresholds below which take off is prevented. (they/it will be fairly low but worth knowing about)

Reactions: JustAGuy
another thing to remember is be careful as you drop down into a valley ,as if you are really way down then in the event of a RTH, it will require enough battery to make the climb before it comes home ,so dont have the RTH height set to high and make sure you can keep the antennas pointing towards the drone

Reactions: JustAGuy
Can you imagine doing this off the top of El Capitan in Yellowstone Yosemite? Some of the Norwegian Fjords would probably be as spectacular

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: old man mavic
Can you imagine doing this off the top of El Capitan in Yellowstone? Some of the Norwegian Fjords would probably be as spectacular
Just a gentle reminder, el Capitan is located in Yosemite - :) Beautiful Place

Attachments

• EL CAPITAN.jpg
    EL CAPITAN.jpg
    122 KB · Views: 23
  • 74.jpg
    74.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 23
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics