DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude question

Miataguy

Reactions
Newbie here: first post. Just got my Mavic Air 2 a few days ago and learning how to fly. But I have a question about altitude - particularly with respect to RTH.

Is the RTH altitude setting relative to Mean Sea Level, Home location, Takeoff location, or current ground elevation?

Reactions: TreeHugger
Assuming your home point is at ground level, then yes I believe ground level. What I can't tell you for sure is if it is set via the homepoint, which may or may not be at ground level. Sometimes I'll launch from my 2nd floor balcony, then set it on the ground which then shows me that it is -15 feet. I would assume that it would assume that my balcony is ground level. Anyone else care to comment on that?

FWIW, captions could register differently. I don't have a MA2, and consequently don't know how the MA2 registers altitude in captions. My Mini's captions are listed as AGL, while my Mavic 2 pro's captions are MSL, which requires some math if I'm trying to evaluate altitude while reviewing footages in VLC with captions on.

Reactions: TreeHugger
Which the exception of any displayed VPS height, ALL heights displayed in the the app or set in the app are relative to the take off point.
Normally that is also the homepoint but since you explicitly mention/separate the take off and home points I assume you might be considering resetting the homepoint during a flight. Doing that will not reset the altimeter.

Last edited by a moderator:
Which means that if you take off from a high point on the coast and then drop down towards the ocean then it will show a negative altitude. Flying over water at -20m height is unnerving the first couple of times you do it...

Welcome to the forums! You came to the right place...

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851