DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude reading is way off on DJI GO 4 app?

Flyhigh1

Reactions
After flying for awhile as im landing the drone I might be up only 15 feet in the air and my app says the height is 60 feet. Anyone else have that problem? Is there anyway to fix it?

After flying for awhile as im landing the drone I might be up only 15 feet in the air and my app says the height is 60 feet. Anyone else have that problem? Is there anyway to fix it?
It's common and normal for the barometric sensor to drift a little during the time of a flight, causing the altitude to be a few metres out.
If yours is too much, recalibrate the IMU and see if that helps.

Reactions: RadioFlyerMan
Yes I have seen the same problem
Very dangerous if you temporarily loose sight of your drone and are trying to land

Calibrating will not help. The barometric altimeter is set to 0 on takeoff, and during flight will move around due to some combination of sensor variation, and changes in the barometric pressure in your flight area.

Yes I have seen the same problem
Very dangerous if you temporarily loose sight of your drone and are trying to land
How are you landing if you lose sight of the drone, that is what is dangerous, who would purposefully do that? When you are landing view down (Camera) if nothing is below you just land or auto land...neither would have anything to do with the barometer being off in altitude BTW and the subject of this thread. Know your surroundings!!! I would much rather have a drone in a auto land sequence, than one falling from the sky. ;)

How are you landing if you lose sight of the drone, that is what is dangerous, who would purposefully do that? When you are landing view down (Camera) if nothing is below you just land or auto land...neither would have anything to do with the barometer being off in altitude BTW and the subject of this thread. Know your surroundings!!! I would much rather have a drone in a auto land sequence, than one falling from the sky. ;)
You do not always land in a perfect world
At times as I look up in the sky with my drone near the gray color of the DJI Drone
fades into the gray sky of the same color

Also as I get older the eyes are not as they used to be
I try to bring it down closer to get a visual again but with 20-30 feet off I'm at 10 feet from the ground but I'm told I am 30-40 feet off the ground
That seems to be a problem for me. Not sure why? :oops: HTH

You do not always land in a perfect world
But you can choose when and where you land.
If you aren't sure where the drone is, take some time to find it.
Take your hands off the sticks and the drone will wait for you.
Landing blind would be very poor piloting.
I try to bring it down closer to get a visual again but with 20-30 feet off I'm at 10 feet from the ground but I'm told I am 30-40 feet off the ground.
That seems to be a problem for me. Not sure why?
It makes no difference to the drone, what height is showing on the app.
But if you are flying blind, close to the ground and trusting an unreliable altitude indication, that could be very risky.
Have you tried recalibrating the IMU to see if that reduces the difference in the altitudes?

If you know there's an issue with the indicated height, bring the drone to a point above you and bring it down until you get visual on it.
Then guide it to a good landing spot.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929