DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude restrictions

crbuckjr

Reactions
Unfortunately I discovered I am in an altitude restricted zone.....landing/take off zone from local airport. So, my Mini won't take off. I am new to the Mavic Mini and would simply like to fly my mini at very low altitude to practice flying. Is there a way to unlock the restriction? thanks

Reactions: tbw
I've flown in a DJI imposed altitude restricted zone in the UK (airport flightpath) and just had to acknowledge the warning by tapping on it to be able to take off.

For the record, the area was legally OK for flying in, and sufficiently safe too, as ground closer to the airport rises more than 120m above the area I was located. Note, there's a mismatch between DJI's flightsafe database and UK rules.

Depending where you are located in relationship to Naples Airport you may be in a 0 height zone. The Radio Road area, up by the Naples Grand Golf Club are in the 0 height zones

Have you checked the Kittyhawk or AirMap apps to determine any restrictions there may be in the area you want to fly in?

Turns out I appear to be in an Authorization Zone. Tapping the red notification doesn't work. Planes going over us from nearby airport are probably 6-800 feet high. I only want to be able to practice in my front yard.

Is there a way to do that? Thanks much

If you have the Kittyhawk or AirMap app downloaded, you can request a LANNC authorization through the app. It‘s a pretty easy process. Good luck and happy flying.

There's an option in the app to request a geo zone unlock. Bottom left: Screenshot_20200507-205527.jpg

If your request is granted and you can unlock the area you should be able to take off. I've not needed to go thru the process so am unfamiliar with it.

On Kittyhawk when I try to request a LAANC authorization I get a message "3 KAPF ClassD" Seems like I can't get the authorization?? What am I doing wrong? I'd be happy to start out staying under 100ft.

thanks for any help

Depending where you are located in relationship to Naples Airport you may be in a 0 height zone. The Radio Road area, up by the Naples Grand Golf Club are in the 0 height zones
I live in Wyndemere......hoping that i can fly....even under 100 feet.......how can I check that out? thanks

It appears that the class “D” airspace in the control zone is from the ground to 2500’. If that’s the case then you may not be able to get LANNC authorization anywhere inside the control zone.
Being Canadian I am not familiar with all of the restrictions in the U.S. I have used AirMap when in Palm Springs to get a LANNC authorization in class “D” and was able to get one, but with an altitude restriction of 100’.
I’ve attached a picture of the warning I got while doing a fake LANNC request for your area using AirMap. As you can see, it states that authorization for flights below 100’ will be coming soon. I assume that means it’s currently not available. You may have to travel outside the restricted area to fly until that option is available.
Hope this helps and that authorization becomes available for you soon.

Attachments

• E8CA0F2C-FEC1-4A69-855F-9BFAD7481FE0.png
    E8CA0F2C-FEC1-4A69-855F-9BFAD7481FE0.png
    682.1 KB · Views: 11
Check the attached picture. I’m showing your area, the edge of the class “D” airspace and a possible site to go do some flying, if you are able to drive there.
Good luck and happy flying.

Attachments

• A20881D9-9F78-4502-8F49-A9DBD111BFA1.jpeg
    A20881D9-9F78-4502-8F49-A9DBD111BFA1.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 19
Fun Flyer...thanks for two helpful posts. I'll try the area you show. And, I'll hope that approval to fly under 100 ft is coming soon.

thanks much

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kclarke2929