DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude zone(197 ft)

ipanda

Reactions
hello all, i'm from the philadelphia PA area, i'm a MA2 owner i'm not sure if any other pilots out there in my area having the same issue as i am. i'm actually about 5 miles away from PNE airport, i know i'm restricted to a certain height seem reasonable. even after i leave the area head over to NJ state park just pass tacony bridge i'm still restricted to 197ft. it doesn't seem that i'm in a restricted area. anybody having same issue? thanks

hello all, i'm from the philadelphia PA area, i'm a MA2 owner i'm not sure if any other pilots out there in my area having the same issue as i am. i'm actually about 5 miles away from PNE airport, i know i'm restricted to a certain height seem reasonable. even after i leave the area head over to NJ state park just pass tacony bridge i'm still restricted to 197ft. it doesn't seem that i'm in a restricted area. anybody having same issue? thanks
Several different points to look at here:
  • How far or close you are to PNE doesn't really matter in terms of the actual distance (i.e. the old 5 mile rule no longer applies). What matters is whether or not it is controlled airspace above you. I would always go to the definitive source, which is the FAA. You can see airspace on the VFR sectional charts. In your case the Philadelphia Sectional covers you. As a non-definitive source you could use an app like AirMap.
    We are in some very busy airspace here. You have PHL, PNE and TTN, with EWR just further north. The Tacony Palmyra bridge is still within controlled airspace from PNE and as such just taking off in that area would require LAANC authorization. I fly in all these areas and there is some beautiful scenery up and down the river. You just need to make sure you are flying safely and legally.
  • Your "limit" is probably just the self-imposed altitude limit that can be set in the app. I would highly suggest reading the entire MA2 manual, as it explains these limits and a lot of other important information.
  • It's best to really familiarize yourself with controlled airspace and flying legally, before getting into trouble. Remember that just because your MA2 allows you to launch at a particular spot, it does not mean that you are allowed to fly there.

Several different points to look at here:
  • How far or close you are to PNE doesn't really matter in terms of the actual distance (i.e. the old 5 mile rule no longer applies). What matters is whether or not it is controlled airspace above you. I would always go to the definitive source, which is the FAA. You can see airspace on the VFR sectional charts. In your case the Philadelphia Sectional covers you. As a non-definitive source you could use an app like AirMap.
    We are in some very busy airspace here. You have PHL, PNE and TTN, with EWR just further north. The Tacony Palmyra bridge is still within controlled airspace from PNE and as such just taking off in that area would require LAANC authorization. I fly in all these areas and there is some beautiful scenery up and down the river. You just need to make sure you are flying safely and legally.
  • Your "limit" is probably just the self-imposed altitude limit that can be set in the app. I would highly suggest reading the entire MA2 manual, as it explains these limits and a lot of other important information.
  • It's best to really familiarize yourself with controlled airspace and flying legally, before getting into trouble. Remember that just because your MA2 allows you to launch at a particular spot, it does not mean that you are allowed to fly there.

ok. i'm actually in a grey zone. the altitude zone. 15 mins drive to PNE, 30 mins to PHL and about 40 mins to TTN. i use B4UFly app. it doesn't say anything about i'm at a controlled airspace.

ok i've done some research online. i've registered my drone with the FAA for recreational purpose since i got the MA2, for LAANC i would create an recreational flyer airspace authorization? if i'm going the right direction?

update: i've notice that you can't request LANNC under recreational. i've register my MA2 with part 107 and i can request authorization. under recreational it show not eligible above 0ft.

ok. i'm actually in a grey zone. the altitude zone. 15 mins drive to PNE, 30 mins to PHL and about 40 mins to TTN. i use B4UFly app. it doesn't say anything about i'm at a controlled airspace.
Without knowing your EXACT location (by coordinates or perhaps a map with a pin on your location) it is impossible to teel what airspace you are in.

ok i've done some research online. i've registered my drone with the FAA for recreational purpose since i got the MA2, for LAANC i would create an recreational flyer airspace authorization? if i'm going the right direction?
Good. You must be registered before flying any drone over 250 grams in the USA. Yes you must register yourself as a recreational pilot and then place your FAA number on the MA2 in order to fly legally.

Once that is done, if you are trying to fly in controlled airspace, you must obtain LAANC authorization for the flight.

update: i've notice that you can't request LANNC under recreational. i've register my MA2 with part 107 and i can request authorization. under recreational it show not eligible above 0ft.
That is not true. Recreational pilots can request LAANC authorization just as well as commercial pilots. The system will allow you to register your UAS under part 107 but that is not necessary. Also it is illegal for you to fly under Part 107 rules if you are not a licensed Part 107 pilot.

That is not true. Recreational pilots can request LAANC authorization just as well as commercial pilots. The system will allow you to register your UAS under part 107 but that is not necessary. Also it is illegal for you to fly under Part 107 rules if you are not a licensed Part 107 pilot.

well i'm not sure about that. because when i put my recreational FAA UAS# it said not eligible above 0ft. when i put in the # for part 107 it works.

Recreational pilots can request LAANC authorization in any Facility Tile that doesn't have a zero on it. Coordination for those is restricted to Part 107 pilots.

• To submit a "further coordination request" if you need to fly above the designated altitude ceiling in a UAS Facility Map, up to 400 feet. Applicants may apply up to 90 days in advance of a flight and the approval is coordinated manually through the FAA. (available to Part 107 pilots only)

Reactions: PhantomFandom
Coordination for those is restricted to Part 107 pilots.
True, but that is a pain for anyone and there is no guarantee of approval. Worth the effort for doing commercial jobs where you absolutely must fly there, but hardly worth the time and effort for just flying around and taking pictures.

Still impossible to give the OP any definitive answer without knowing the exact location.

i'm in the yellow zone of PNE
That really means nothing. Yellow zone is not an FAA airspace designation but a DJI Geo Zone. We still need the exact location.

Reactions: iaincaradoc
What physically can limit your MA2 is the DJI Fly safe zone onboard the AC ... you find it here --> DJI - The World Leader in Camera Drones/Quadcopters for Aerial Photography

The area where you try to fly seems to be here some where as you speak of the PNE Airport & the Tacony bridge ...

1598967434018.png

It's filled with grey altitude zones both stating max 150 & 60 meters ... 60m translate pretty well to 197ft.

Attachments

• IMG_1227.JPG
    IMG_1227.JPG
    2.2 MB · Views: 7
If I'm reading this correctly, that blue dot is near Great Northwest Plaza, and in a UAS Facility Tile showing a max altitude of 100ft for LAANC automation.

IMG_F38E40488D3D-1.jpeg

i'm toward cottman and wellminton. the green tile

Green tile should be 400' for LAANC. Do you by any chance have your config set to a max altitude of 60m/197ft? It'd be under the "Safety" tab once you're into the triple-dot menus.

Green tile should be 400' for LAANC. Do you by any chance have your config set to a max altitude of 60m/197ft? It'd be under the "Safety" tab once you're into the triple-dot menus.

nope. i've set it to 1600ft it still show altitude zone 197ft. even if i set it to 1000ft it still say im in the 197 fr zone. as i know of. let me open the map in kittyhawk and show you. i'm within the area where i circle.

Attachments

• IMG_1232.JPG
    IMG_1232.JPG
    430.1 KB · Views: 5
nope. i've set it to 1600ft it still show altitude zone 197ft. even if i set it to 1000ft it still say im in the 197 fr zone. as i know of. let me open the map in kittyhawk and show you. i'm within the area where i circle.
Yeah ... but according the DJI Fly zone that's within a 60m altitude zone ... and it restricts your AC.

1598985358252.png

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jack_0851