DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Altitude?

Welcome to the forum.

If you are looking to see if you have clearance on any object, then fly next to it and view with camera.

Once you notice how high any object is then I would add another 10 feet for good measure.

No matter where I am at I will check for clearance doing a 360 pivot to see if there is going to be anything in the way.

Welcome to the forum.

If you are looking to see if you have clearance on any object, then fly next to it and view with camera.

Once you notice how high any object is then I would add another 10 feet for good measure.

No matter where I am at I will check for clearance doing a 360 pivot to see if there is going to be anything in the way.
Thanks eagle! I just couldn't fathom what SIMBORO was asking.

Reactions: jimlips
when flying and at the top of an household, the drone gives the coordinates, the altitude between it and the land! But i'd like to have the altitude between the drone itself ead the roof.
Thank you, I understand now. If you know the height of your house can't you just subtract that from the height produced on the drone telemetry?

Thank you, I understand now. If you know the height of your house can't you just subtract that from the height produced on the drone telemetry?
Only assuming that TO was from somewhere at the AGL of the land around the building.

The only way to get the real time distance between your drone and whatever is beneath it is if the thing had some form of radar, which it does not.

when flying and at the top of an household, the drone gives the coordinates, the altitude between it and the land! But i'd like to have the altitude between the drone itself and the roof.
Which drone and app are you using?

I haven't flown my Phantom 3 Pro with DJI Go app in a long time, so I may be wrong about this. But if I remember correctly, the app displayed two different height measurements. One is the barometric altimeter showing the height measured relative to the drone's takeoff location. The other is the height measured by the ultrasonic sensors on the bottom of the Phantom.

The ultrasonic sensors on the Phantom had a limited range of only 3m. So lets say your house is 10m tall. If I take off with my Phantom from the ground beside your house and climb to 11m high, the Phantom would be 1m higher than the top of your house. At that point the barometric altimeter should display 11m, whereas the ultrasonic sensors would show nothing as they can no longer "see" the ground outside of their 3m range ability.

But if I now move the Phantom sideways over the top of your house, the barometric altimeter would continue to show 11m height above the takeoff location, but the ultrasonic sensors would now indicate a height of 1m above your 10m tall house.

Rather than ultrasonic sensors, my Mavic Mini has much better infrared sensors having a range of up to 10m. However the DJI Fly app displays only the barometric altimeter, and does not display the height measured by the infrared sensors. But, I believe the VPS sensor height is recorded in the app's flight logs.

Fly drone to roof with camera level, check height then fly up whatever height you require. Subtract initial height from that and you have the distance above roof.
Eg from take off to top of roof with camera level 10 metres, raise drone 5 metres. Result the drone is 5 metres above roof.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580