DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I "Drone Policing"?

zlek131

Reactions
Hello DJI Mavic Pilots. I'm a member of a local Drone FaceBook group. Recently one of the members posted pictures and videos taken from his drone flying near the new Raider's stadium while visiting Las Vegas, NV (Allegiant Stadium). Knowing Vegas landscape well, I quickly realized that he was flying well inside the very strict no fly airspace of McCarran International Airport. Being a drone enthusiast, I replied to his post with nothing more but friendly/educated intention of letting him know that he should be aware of FAA airspace rules, especially around big airports, and that flying where he was at was not permitted. I recommended checking flight restrictions within apps such as AirMap, DroneBuddy before flying to make sure all was good and legal. I also stated that my only intention was to make him aware that incidents such as this/his, is what gives the drone enthusiasts a black eye, hence why flying drones (legally) is becoming harder and harder to do given FAA is tightening the laws and regulations. That's ALL, really. My post resulted in about 40% of replies claiming I was "policing" (with references to what's going on these days), being called a "troll", however 60% of replies agreed/supported my post. The poster himself claimed he was flying legally because his DJI drone "let him take off without a warning" and called me and others "turds" while telling us to take a hike. The post was eventually taken down by either the poster or administrator. Interested to hear everyone's feedback? (below are the artifacts that I compiled, specifically using one of the pictures posted by the drone operator.)

drone3.png

Last edited:
It's a dilemma for sure. If you say nothing, then others--especially newbies--will think it's ok. If you do say something, you're a "jerk." But yes, these regulations aren't about "taking away our freedoms" they're about keeping people safe. And yes, the more people who violate the rules, the strictr th rules will become. Most forums/groups have their rules about this sort of thing spelled out (i.e. do NOT post pics of your flying illegally, do NOT comment on other's people's post and "drone police," etc.

At age 15 I was ready to correct everyone if I knew they were wrong, and often did so. By age 30, I often realized it was best to say little or nothing at all, unless someone was asking for feedback. Now at 43, more often than not I just think to myself "idiot" but let it slide on by...much more peaceful life this way. Occasionally I lack impulse control, and correct someone, or "police" them, call it whatever you wish to, even just "pointing" out their error. You shouldn't worry about it, you pointed it out, now let the people do what they will. Sometimes, leading by being a good example yourself, is better than shouting it from a thousand rooftops. My 2 cents on it, only given, because you asked for input.

Personally I would contact the FB Admin of that site/page and relay your concerns. Are there and guidelines posted on this page? If not, maybe suggest some (like all posted videos must comply with FAA rules/regulations). If that did not rectify the situation and if you still felt strongly about it, contact the FAA. I for one would not be happy to be in a group that condones the very behavior that will have more and more rules placed on us.

You did the right thing, education is everything. Being humans, we all make mistakes......that is a pretty big one. As a defence that dji allowed him to take off would not hold any weight at all in court. The pilot has to take responsibility for his actions and knowing the rules/law.
Facebook is full of this , be it cars, bikes, drones! Its unfortunate that 40% who agreed , is why rules are forever changing . Even a small % is worrying, never mind almost 1/2 of them!

Fly safe

If it’s a no fly airspace why was he allowed to take off?

Reactions: Scubadiver1944
Do you know where he lives? If so, go round and slap him!

Seriously, it's people that ignore the rules that give our hobby a bad name. There was all that kerfuffle with some idiot sending his drone into the airspace at London Gatwick a yer or so ago.

I think a friendly prod that it's illegal, and if you get caught there will be consequences is the best way. Include a link of course. If they choose to then ignore it there's not a lot you can do, so leave it.

I don't regard that as being the Drone Police.

PS, I've been through McCarren a couple of times. I like Las Vegas!

Reactions: zlek131
I think what you did was fine, ultimately you are always going to get people who don't want to listen, but you might educate 1 or 2 people reading the comments who will learn something.

There's not really enough education/information out there for new pilots in my opinion. For example, when I first got my Mavic Air a little over a year ago, if I had not registered on here I would have never known i even had to register with the FAA. Maybe manufactures could include a little sticker, relevant to the country the drone is sold in, with basic info.... where to register, VLOS that type of thing. I'd love to be able to survey realtors in this area, to see how many who take drone photos for listing properties, have a Part 107, much less have even registered their drone. I'd honestly be surprised if it's more than 50%.

Long story short, educating, or trying to educate, others is absolutely fine.

I just looked at DJI's NFZ map, and the area you show where this guy was flying is an Authorization Zone (blue area), so he would have gotten a warning and then had to work through the prompts - if he was indeed, flying a modern DJI craft - in order to fly there, but he would have been able to. The UAS Airport Facility Map however, does show 0' in that area, so there would have been no way to get LAANC approval, and it's very doubtful that the FAA provided him with Airspace Authorization to operate there, so this was an illegal operation for sure.

You did the right thing by pointing this out, and the fact that the post has since been removed is probably a result of this, so good job!

I too think you did the correct thing in offering advice to the pilot, it could have been that they truely were unaware of any restrictions. Whether or not they choose to heed the advice is their choice, if they ask relevant question and you can answer I think it would be sensible to do so but if they 'slag you off' "leave them to it", you have done as much for them as you can.
I realise that we can all get tarred with the same brush as these people but again you have done what you can in the situation.
I have read that your FAA have 'contacted' pilots concerning videos that those pilots have posted on social media, if correct perhaps your 'rent a mouth' will fall foul of this.
I have seen one youtube "my Mavic mini flew away" video where a UK flyer posted a video in which the flight breached many parts of UK's CAA rules and where the Mini was flown straight up into literally tree-swaying winds (it looked like the winds simply overcame the RTH and blew the drone away). Someone had pointed all this out shortly before I watched the video and within 30 minutes or so the video was deleted

Last edited by a moderator:
I have no problem with a group policing themselves in a reasonable manner. In the case of drones I'm afraid it took way to long and now the authorities are taking over. I have seen post recently of folks that are going to get rid of their drones, just because they can't fly under the current rules. Well I guess at least they're smart enough to know that. Bottom line is, if your going to skirt the rules, don't post it online.

I think that it is important, despite the risk of being unpopular, to point out in a polite way that, to the best of your knowledge, the flight did not conform to the rules and regulations for that location. There is of course a theoretical chance that the pilot had applied for and received special permission. The initial post does seem to fill this criteria and it is in the best interest for the drone community as a whole. There will always be somebody who does not care but that does not mean that they should not be made aware.

If it’s a no fly airspace why was he allowed to take off?

It's surface Class B airspace:

IMG_C93766A585F5-1.jpeg

But it's only a DJI authorization zone that can be (and obviously was) unlocked by the pilot, even though it will have warned him. The DJI restricted zones (red) are only on the runway extended center lines:

grab39.png

It's a dilemma for sure. If you say nothing, then others--especially newbies--will think it's ok. If you do say something, you're a "jerk." But yes, these regulations aren't about "taking away our freedoms" they're about keeping people safe. And yes, the more people who violate the rules, the strictr th rules will become. Most forums/groups have their rules about this sort of thing spelled out (i.e. do NOT post pics of your flying illegally, do NOT comment on other's people's post and "drone police," etc.
I always cringe a bit when someone carelessly uses the phrase “it’s about public safety.” I’m all for safety in the skies and I follow all the rules. But the God of Public Safety is a false, pagan god and its rulings subject to change on the whims of a few over the rights of the many.

Some education is a good thing. For example reading this thread I just learned my drone will warn me if I try to take off in a no fly zone, which I didn't know before.

I have learned a lot on this forum, things such as battery temperatures can be an issue, so now i actually look at it a few times per flight. Yesterday's flight saw a maximum battery temp of 34.6 degrees, before I would have ignored that as useless information.

The rules are the rules... period!. But as a long time pilot and as someone who has been flying into McCarron for a very long time I realize that there are many places below that class B where one should be able to fly a drone with zero danger to aircraft. I think the problem is that the FAA considers what could be done with a drone instead of what the sane drone pilot would do. It's interesting that there are several long time RC airports in Los Angeles County that are located directly under a towered airport's runway extended centerline.
I haven't seen the videos and photos in question but I have seen many posted videos and photos taken in the Los Angeles area where a drone appeared to me to be definitely violating controlled airspace.
I'm hoping that as drones become more common place and their reliability becomes more known, the FAA will allow more airspace to be useable. I really can't see why someone can't takeoff from an empty parking lot and take a photo, from a much more interesting perspective, of a building or stadium. I just can't see why that airspace is so protected.
I do think you did the right thing Ziek..you can't help it if fell on deaf ears.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rapidair