DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I in the club now?

SabrToothSqrl

Reactions
You do NOT want to see under the bandages. No less than 4 good cuts, lots of blood...

Landed on a table, was going to miss it by 2" and feared it landing hard on concrete upside down. So I reached in and grabbed 'em!

Calculated decision, but dang those things HURT... split a prop too. goodtimes.

Attachments

• 169366993_1206067273196577_6870115360708963696_n.jpg
    169366993_1206067273196577_6870115360708963696_n.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 119
  • 169391512_1387114488314626_7790819755365912025_n.jpg
    169391512_1387114488314626_7790819755365912025_n.jpg
    517.3 KB · Views: 112
Parts are easy to replace.

Flesh and bone, not so much.

Glad it wasn't too bad. ?

Reactions: SabrToothSqrl
As a kid I worked a tiny manual punch press that knocked flashing out of a 1/16" diameter hole in a casting. Paid by the piece so really tried to work fast...

Place part on jig with right hand, pull punch lever with left hand, repeat, repeat, repeat several thousand times a day while dreaming of the Ford Bronco I'd buy...

About two weeks in the right hand misplaced a part on the jig and instinctively reached in to correct the position while the left hand was doing its job. Punched the dowel clean through the tip of the right index finger which hurt so right hand jerked away while dowel was still through the finger thus tearing open the end of the finger! Blood everywhere and no work for a couple days until the finger healed up enough to get back at it.

A week later was zipping along still dreaming of that Bronco when the right hand misplaced another part on the jig... you guessed it - dowel through the freshly healed finger tip again. But I'd learned a tiny part of my lesson and kept the finger in place until left hand had raised the lever removing the dowel. At least that time all that had to heal was a small round hole.

At that point I realized I wanted to be a biologist rather than a machine operator. Some of us learn slowly!

Howard

Ouch. Sorry.

Hey sabertoothsqrl,
First of all, I love your name. Secondly, from all the feedback you have been getting, I have learned some valuable lessons before I even got hurt.
1, use a landing pad.
2, put the pad on the ground because there is no guarantee that the drone will land perfectly on it.
3, never ever hand catch if you are not totally comfortable doing so or wear some good thick gloves.
I hope you and your drone are doing ok.
Cheers,
Rex

Hey sabertoothsqrl,
First of all, I love your name. Secondly, from all the feedback you have been getting, I have learned some valuable lessons before I even got hurt.
1, use a landing pad.
2, put the pad on the ground because there is no guarantee that the drone will land perfectly on it.
3, never ever hand catch if you are not totally comfortable doing so or wear some good thick gloves.
I hope you and your drone are doing ok.
Cheers,
Rex
Gloves are good - sometimes. Think I saved some cuts wearing them and a hand catch went sort of off kilter. Not sure even what happened - as all was well, then a sharp stinging. Did hand catch it though.

Glad it wasn't too bad. Thanks for sharing the pictures.

The one time I panicked and grabbed from above I got lucky in that no harm done besides the pain. I do catch from below still on occasion, but not often. There are “knucklehead” stories though.......

Reactions: Howard70
You do NOT want to see under the bandages. No less than 4 good cuts, lots of blood...

Landed on a table, was going to miss it by 2" and feared it landing hard on concrete upside down. So I reached in and grabbed 'em!

Calculated decision, but dang those things HURT... split a prop too. goodtimes.
Not as bad as you but my fingers went up like grabbing an apple off a tree my BAD! Minor cuts! Now I where a glove.
Oh be careful :)

It happens way too often, but I hope I'm not going to learn this the hard way.

As a kid I worked a tiny manual punch press that knocked flashing out of a 1/16" diameter hole in a casting. Paid by the piece so really tried to work fast...

Place part on jig with right hand, pull punch lever with left hand, repeat, repeat, repeat several thousand times a day while dreaming of the Ford Bronco I'd buy...

About two weeks in the right hand misplaced a part on the jig and instinctively reached in to correct the position while the left hand was doing its job. Punched the dowel clean through the tip of the right index finger which hurt so right hand jerked away while dowel was still through the finger thus tearing open the end of the finger! Blood everywhere and no work for a couple days until the finger healed up enough to get back at it.

A week later was zipping along still dreaming of that Bronco when the right hand misplaced another part on the jig... you guessed it - dowel through the freshly healed finger tip again. But I'd learned a tiny part of my lesson and kept the finger in place until left hand had raised the lever removing the dowel. At least that time all that had to heal was a small round hole.

At that point I realized I wanted to be a biologist rather than a machine operator. Some of us learn slowly!

Howard
Press brakes and, as far as I understand it, punch presses are supposed to require pressing buttons with both hands to activate the press.

Press brakes and, as far as I understand it, punch presses are supposed to require pressing buttons with both hands to activate the press.
Hello Ron:

Commercial machines do. This was a tiny manual press built by the fabricator that gave me the job. More like a reloading press for firearm cartridges than a "real" punch press.

Howard

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maniac2000