DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am I the only who thinks the Mavic Air has the Camera the MPP should've had?

jorgelrod

Reactions
Just saw the Mavic Air has a 100Mbps bitrate for the 4K video. I love my MPP, but I think that compared to the MP, it was lacking in features separating them and this would have been a serious upgrade for the Platinum. This or 4K60 would have been awesome spearators between the MP and the MPP...

It has only f/2.8 so less light on sensor. 24mm equivalent focal length vs 28 for Mavic, so more wide angle. It should not need to be focused.

Since the majority of viewers use Youtube to view content then 4K is not the chosen resolution of the video being uploaded. While 4 K video looks impressive on ones 4K Flatscreen TV it takes much more processing power to edit, grade, and finalize than the lower 1080P resolution.

4 K is snazzy and aims to be somewhat futureproof it is unneeded if the end goal is to publish the video content to popular video content hosting sites like YouTube and Vimeo.

YouTube Recommended Video Resolutions For Quality And Search Optimization
Resolution Name
1920x1080 1080p
1280x720 720p
854x480 480p
640x360 360p

Reactions: drmort and dewster
What 4K brings to the table is the ability to post process any number of 1080p images out of the original 4K source. This allows you to get the perfect framing, cut out unwanted appearances near the edge of the frame (like drone pilots, cars, etc.) or track a subject that might wander more than wanted while still maintaining full 1080p resolution in your final render.

Reactions: gjhick and mavicfly
It has only f/2.8 so less light on sensor. 24mm equivalent focal length vs 28 for Mavic, so more wide angle. It should not need to be focused.
I understand, I mean more in the bitrate processing capacity. You get a ton of detail and quality at 100Mbps

It’s crazy that my iPhone 6s can handle 4K while my MacBook Pro from 2010 cannot.

Reactions: drmort
I'm sure if 100Mbps was available at a cost that was feasible for DJI at the time of design of the MPP, they would have put it in there. People, keep in mind that technology and the price of it, changes daily. However, if you had a MA instead of the MPP, you'd be complaining that the older MPP took better footage in low light.

I have friends that would love to own a drone, but don't buy one because they are afraid that as soon as they do buy one, a newer one with better features will come out; and they are correct. However, this way of thinking will also keep them from ever enjoying owning a drone.

Think of that laptop computer you bought. You look for the best model that has the most features for the best price. Then you buy it. However, while you're walking out of the store, the store already has a newer model in transit to the store that is a better deal.

If you aren't happy about a new model coming out that is better in some ways, it sounds like you might have buyer's remorse, which is another issue.

Me, I love my MPP. Wouldn't trade it for anything else out on the market right now. Eventually there will be something else to come out that is truly better than the MPP, and when that time comes, after that new model has been on the market for a while and most of the bugs have been worked out, I will most likely upgrade at that time.

On a side note: I've read a lot of posts that talk about the new features on the MA that the MP/MPP doesn't have, but no one mentions the fact that the MPP is much quieter than this new, smaller drone. Quietness is a BIG deal. The noise level of a drone is in direct correlation to the irritation level of bystanders around the drone. Something to remember.

I'm sure if 100Mbps was available at a cost that was feasible for DJI at the time of design of the MPP, they would have put it in there. People, keep in mind that technology and the price of it, changes daily. However, if you had a MA instead of the MPP, you'd be complaining that the older MPP took better footage in low light.

I have friends that would love to own a drone, but don't buy one because they are afraid that as soon as they do buy one, a newer one with better features will come out; and they are correct. However, this way of thinking will also keep them from ever enjoying owning a drone.

Think of that laptop computer you bought. You look for the best model that has the most features for the best price. Then you buy it. However, while you're walking out of the store, the store already has a newer model in transit to the store that is a better deal.

If you aren't happy about a new model coming out that is better in some ways, it sounds like you might have buyer's remorse, which is another issue...

You're right about that. There will always be something "newer and better" than the one you buy. This is the case with just about every consumer product out there. It is also how companies make tons of money from consumers to get them thinking they need this better drone even though the one they have already bought is already good enough.

If it wasn't good enough for them when they bought thwn those people should've waited till they found something that would fulfill their needs whether it be for fun, hobby, work related, and such.

Try to enjoy the product that you have and not always get caught up in the hype of the new product and start wishing you had waited to get the newest one. Otherwise you might find yourself spending a lot more money than needed and also not getting as much enjoyment out of your current product.

Reactions: frogbmth
When the new ones come out, it doesn’t take anything away from the previous model, it is just as good as it was. The modern marketing machine with paid for “reviews” and buzz is very good at creating desire amongst consumers, a classic sales trick! But for me the noise level was the dealbreaker.

tell me more...

Sharpness of less than +1 causes terrible noise-reduction issues on the Mavic Pro and Pro Platinum. This can easily be seen in his videos and is a well-known issue. +1 turns NR off completely and thus retains fine details.

Reactions: gjhick
What gets me is...MA does not support Waypoints. That is a deal killer for me. I will stick with the MPP till it comes out with a model with a 1inch sensor.

Same here...almost bought a MA but without the waypoints (and the much louder operation of the MA) will be going with a MP or MPP.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gadget61