DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Am very disappointed

Jackcutrone

Reactions
I lost my Mavic Pro a week or so ago due to a sudden and complete loss of power. Many people were very helpful when I posted about it trying to figure out what happened. I want to make a claim under DJI Refresh but everyone told me that DJI won't do anything without the old drone being sent in. I had heard about DJI replacing drones under Refresh and not warranty without the old drone. Well, I posted a separate thread asking people who had DJI replace the drone without the old one and I got a few responses but they were all of the they won't do it variety. That is not at all what disappointed me.

What did disappoint me was after having done an exhaustive search through this forum for situations in which DJI had actually replaced the drone under Refresh without the old one, I was able to find two individuals who had that happen. I PM'ed both of them thinking they would be happy to share their success story with others but I was wrong. Neither of them have responded despite several PM's.

The community here has always been great but I am disappointed by the lack fo response from people who could actually help me.

Reactions: Skywatcher2001
Sorry Jackcutrone,

I was one who commented on your original posts. If I remember correctly sar104 gave you a pretty defined area where to look. Obviously that yielded no results. I would give them a little more time to respond. Sometimes these guys are on vacation or away from their ability to communicate.

Another reality you may have to face is (they) may have just joined the forum to get help for their lost drone. After that (its not uncommon) that we never hear from them again. Check and see if their last post is around the time they received a new drone. Were they long time members or had multiple messages and reaction score? That's usually a sign. I am positive the MOD's will be in soon to see if they can help with contacting them for you.

Man, losing a drone has to be hurtful and discouraging when it appears you are out there all alone.

Sorry Jackcutrone,

I was one who commented on your original posts. If I remember correctly sar104 gave you a pretty defined area where to look. Obviously that yielded no results. I would give them a little more time to respond. Sometimes these guys are on vacation or away from their ability to communicate.

Another reality you may have to face is (they) may have just joined the forum to get help for their lost drone. After that (its not uncommon) that we never hear from them again. Check and see if their last post is around the time they received a new drone. Were they long time members or had multiple messages and reaction score? That's usually a sign. I am positive the MOD's will be in soon to see if they can help with contacting them for you.

Man, losing a drone has to be hurtful and discouraging when it appears you are out there all alone.
Thanks. Yes that is so.

Jack I message lots of members on things and what I have found lots use the app and don’t see the message alert .
That might be the case or as Skywatcher or vail said they might not have logged on. I would not be disappointed but do understand what you are saying.
Tell you what you message me with their names and let me look into it ( I will not reveal their names ) and see what I can do.

Loosing a drone sucks. I didnt notice your point of origion ,but, if and when you replace your equiptmene and providing you are in the US I would strongly recomend you look into a State Farm personal articles policy. They are cheap and would cover you in yopur situation. And no, I dont work for state farm. Im most situations I hat Insurance companys.

Loosing a drone sucks. I didnt notice your point of origion ,but, if and when you replace your equiptmene and providing you are in the US I would strongly recomend you look into a State Farm personal articles policy. They are cheap and would cover you in yopur situation. And no, I dont work for state farm. Im most situations I hat Insurance companys.
For what it is worth I found this and the responses at THIS web site.
I checked in Mass. and State Farm doesn't write it for drones.

Be very careful with the State Farm drone insurance policy.
renderTimingPixel.png

I don't claim to be an expert, however, I have spoken with several insurance agents about this. The $60 policy that State Farm is offering to cover your drone may not be as good as it sounds. First off even if you dont have a home, a claim will count as a claim against a house. If you then go to get homeowners insurance within the next 5 years you will either get denied by some, or have a higher rate. The State Farm agent told me that if I made a claim on this drone then I wouldn't be able to even get home insurance with them for 2 years by default, 5 years max. If you already have home insurance your rates will go up from a claim on a drone. This will end up costing you far more than the price of the drone.
I confirmed this with the State Farm agent, and another agent with a different company. My dad is good friends with the other agent so I asked him for his opinion. He said this policy by State Farm is not at all worth it for a $1k investment.
Like I said I am no expert. Don't come here to argue with me because you want to defend the good deal on insurance you got. I am just a guy trying to save a few of you from making a costly mistake.
Edit: Some people seem upset with this post saying it is inaccurate. The reality is that these insurance policy's vary by state. I live in Missouri. I have confirmed twice that this State Farm policy would count as a claim on a house in the state of Missouri. If you are in a different state ask your agent. Be careful to ask the right questions and make them double check. That is all I was trying to get across with this post.

PURPLEDONGOFTHANOS

39 points·2 years ago

Insurance agent here. Listen to this man. The agency i work for is owned by a real estate company, so 95% of my customers are new home buyers. If you file a claim for a lost/crashed drone it will show up on your insurance record. It's going to jack up your rate for 3-5 years, depending on the insurance carrier. Everyone should spend the extra money and just get DJI care.

level 2
DoktorKruel

24 points·2 years ago

As an insurance lawyer, I've been trying to tell people this for a long time. I finally quit posting about it on here after hearing enough idiots tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Continue this thread

level 2
vtcapsfan

3 points·2 years ago

Is this true for all personal article property insurance? Like a ring I have insured, if something happens my way policy is gonna go way up?

level 2
by_a_pyre_light

DJI Mavic Pro3 points·2 years ago

Everyone should spend the extra money and just get DJI care.
Except that DJI Care isn't insurance. It doesn't cover a fraction of what a State Farm or Square Trade program does.
  • Lose your drone due to a fly away? DJI doesn't cover it. At all.
  • Lose your drone due to a power issue in your Spark which drops it some place unrecoverable, which should be a manufacturer's warranty issue except that DJI is a shady-as-**** company? Tough luck - not only will DJI not properly warranty it, but they won't even let you use DJI Care Refresh.
  • Someone steal your drone on a trip? Good luck getting that covered on DJI Care.
You know what covers ALL of those things and doesn't charge an extra premium?
The State Farm Personal Articles Policy and others like Square Trade.

Continue this thread

level 1
xavier267

15 points·2 years ago

Contacted my State Farm Agent, that I have my drone insured by and This is what she replied with when I sent a snapshot of this post.
"Hey there! This is actually the exact opposite of how State Farm handles it in Arkansas. Either the agent was confused or that person is located in another state where Personal Articles Policy claims are handled differently. Or both!

One of the best arguments for having a Personal Articles Policy is to keep that item insured separately from your homeowners policy – which benefits you in several different ways. Separate claims history, separate eligibility criteria, separate (much lower) deductible, coverage for many more types of loss, etc.

I have contacted an underwriting partner to make sure I’m not missing anything here, but I think the information you saw posted is totally false for your situation. "
Now. Not saying the OP is liying, just saying people need to call and get the facts before posting.

renderTimingPixel.png

I don't claim to be an expert, however, I have spoken with several insurance agents about this. The $60 policy that State Farm is offering to cover your drone may not be as good as it sounds. First off even if you dont have a home, a claim will count as a claim against a house. If you then go to get homeowners insurance within the next 5 years you will either get denied by some, or have a higher rate. The State Farm agent told me that if I made a claim on this drone then I wouldn't be able to even get home insurance with them for 2 years by default, 5 years max. If you already have home insurance your rates will go up from a claim on a drone. This will end up costing you far more than the price of the drone.
I confirmed this with the State Farm agent, and another agent with a different company. My dad is good friends with the other agent so I asked him for his opinion. He said this policy by State Farm is not at all worth it for a $1k investment.
Like I said I am no expert. Don't come here to argue with me because you want to defend the good deal on insurance you got. I am just a guy trying to save a few of you from making a costly mistake.
Edit: Some people seem upset with this post saying it is inaccurate. The reality is that these insurance policy's vary by state. I live in Missouri. I have confirmed twice that this State Farm policy would count as a claim on a house in the state of Missouri. If you are in a different state ask your agent. Be careful to ask the right questions and make them double check. That is all I was trying to get across with this post.

PURPLEDONGOFTHANOS

39 points·2 years ago

Insurance agent here. Listen to this man. The agency i work for is owned by a real estate company, so 95% of my customers are new home buyers. If you file a claim for a lost/crashed drone it will show up on your insurance record. It's going to jack up your rate for 3-5 years, depending on the insurance carrier. Everyone should spend the extra money and just get DJI care.

level 2
DoktorKruel

24 points·2 years ago

As an insurance lawyer, I've been trying to tell people this for a long time. I finally quit posting about it on here after hearing enough idiots tell me I don't know what I'm talking about.

Continue this thread

level 2
vtcapsfan

3 points·2 years ago

Is this true for all personal article property insurance? Like a ring I have insured, if something happens my way policy is gonna go way up?

level 2
by_a_pyre_light

Except that DJI Care isn't insurance. It doesn't cover a fraction of what a State Farm or Square Trade program does.
  • Lose your drone due to a power issue in your Spark which drops it some place unrecoverable, which should be a manufacturer's warranty issue except that DJI is a shady-as-**** company? Tough luck - not only will DJI not properly warranty it, but they won't even let you use DJI Care Refresh.
  • Someone steal your drone on a trip? Good luck getting that covered on DJI Care.

Continue this thread

level 1
xavier267

15 points·2 years ago

Contacted my State Farm Agent, that I have my drone insured by and This is what she replied with when I sent a snapshot of this post.
"Hey there! This is actually the exact opposite of how State Farm handles it in Arkansas. Either the agent was confused or that person is located in another state where Personal Articles Policy claims are handled differently. Or both!

One of the best arguments for having a Personal Articles Policy is to keep that item insured separately from your homeowners policy – which benefits you in several different ways. Separate claims history, separate eligibility criteria, separate (much lower) deductible, coverage for many more types of loss, etc.

I have contacted an underwriting partner to make sure I’m not missing anything here, but I think the information you saw posted is totally false for your situation. "
Now. Not saying the OP is liying, just saying people need to call and get the facts before posting.
Did I miss something here? What does State Farm have to do with the OP lament?

Reactions: dirkclod
Nothing at all think he was referring to the post above his .

Reactions: Mavic Mac

renderTimingPixel.png

PURPLEDONGOFTHANOS

39 points·2 years ago

level 2
DoktorKruel

24 points·2 years ago

Continue this thread

level 2
vtcapsfan

3 points·2 years ago

level 2
by_a_pyre_light

Continue this thread

level 1
xavier267

15 points·2 years ago

Well, they wrote mine spacificly for my MA. I have not had the ocasion to file a claim and hopefully I wont, But im willing to gambel the $30.00 that I paid just for, possably the mis guided hope that things work. I have lost that much on one hand of poker.

Lets stay on the OP's post guys and not let this go south. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Schmidteh121