DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

Amazon Fire HD6: Success!

thebigbaddan

Reactions
I just setup DJI Go on my Amazon Fire HD6, and flew it around successfully. I think this may be my new dedicated screen for the Mavic Air! (The HD6 has higher DPI than the 7s... but that may not matter for flying). I also have a Fire 7 that I got for $20 on a black friday, will test that out as well.

Here's the instructions I followed:
DJI Go App on Amazon Kindle Fire! – Video-Drone!

Here's another thread on this forum on how to set this up: DJI Go 4 / Mavic Pro on Amazon Fire Devices...

...after looking at the 7" Fire, it's screen is too dim to fly in daylight. The HD6 will do nicely, but the 7 won't cut it. I've seen posts about the Fire HD8 but never the 6. I got the HD6 for $40 from Woot.com a while back, my kids have them too and they have really great screens.

Performance looks to be about the same as a MediaPad T3, so it might have a bit of lag, but it won't be terrible. Brightness isn't bad, either.

I've got a Fire 7 that I have flown my Mavic Pro and P4 on without any problems. I find that the screen is as bright as my iPad Air 2 - I have the brightness turned up all the way. No glitches, good screen resolution, and syncs no problem with AirData.

Reactions: Kbviper
I've run DJI go 4 on the 8 without issue. It's actually a pretty nice tablet

I will have a look, the price is certainly right.

The Fire 8 has the same processor as the Fire 7, so no real advantage. I like the weight and screen size of the Fire 7, so will continue to use both it and my iPad Air 2 for now. I am amazed at how well the Fire 7 has worked with DJI Go and DJI Go 4.

Ya I'm debating on getting a Fire 7 for a strictly dedicated drone tablet. Good to know how well it is working for you :)

Ya I'm debating on getting a Fire 7 for a strictly dedicated drone tablet. Good to know how well it is working for you :)

The Fire 7 was on sale for $49.99 Cdn on the Amazon Canada site so for that price I thought I would order one. I followed the instructions I found online for setting it up to download apps from Google Play - it wasn't very hard to do. I then downloaded DJI go and DJI Go 4 as I fly a P4, P4P, Mavic Pro, and an Inspire 1. I use Airdata (Formerly Healthy Drones) and downloaded their app from Google Play and it works fine on the Fire 7 as well.

The screen is bright and resolution is good - I like the size and weight - it is just slightly larger than my wife's iPad mini 2. I have had no issues flying with the Fire 7 - no glitches, no green bars, no effect on range, RTH, and all other on screen buttons and controls work fine. Given the price I was nervous flying with it starting off but gradually pushed it more and more and would now use it to fly anywhere I would use the Ipad. I have been very impressed by the battery life, which is better than the iPad, which is now a couple of years old.

Those of you using the Fire’s, any issues with GPS or Maps, etc. I’m looking for a decent tablet to use as dedicated for my MP. I own several already but would be purchasing a new one for the MP. I’m a bit confused as to what you get when a device is Wi-Fi only.

Last edited:
Still experimenting. The Fire HD6 screen is MUCH better than my welfare phone (LG K20) although I've ordered an LG G6 that is on the way. I just got the Fire HD 8 in the mail today, which I haven't tested and will need a tablet mount as it's a little too big for the holder. My welfare phone is pretty much unusable as a flight screen except after dusk, as the screen is just too dim.

I don't think the device you fly with needs GPS since it's built into the drone... is it built into the remote too? Maybe not, and that's where you'd need it if you want to update the home point. So for that, I'll use my phone... but having a larger screen to see on is pretty freaking cool too. The Fire HD6 screen seemed to lag just a bit, I'm hoping the Fire HD8 will work better. Still, the Fire HD6 has worked WAY better than my cell phone. That may change with a "premium" cell phone, but for a $30 device it's tough to beat.

Just went through installing the Google play store, DJI go, all that... and came across a brightness setting that I must have missed before. This tablet has a super bright screen! (The HD8).... so I just ordered a tablet mount and will be trying this out.

@Taylor1430 Unless you need to update the home point when moving around while flying, there's no need for GPS on your controller attached device. The Mavic supplies its own GPS. The maps in DJI Go work fine. I'd much rather have a big-*** screen when flying, and not get mobile notifications, than cram a small cell phone in there. Using a cell phone when packing light makes sense, but otherwise an 8" screen sure beats a small cellular screen.

Just went through installing the Google play store, DJI go, all that... and came across a brightness setting that I must have missed before. This tablet has a super bright screen! (The HD8).... so I just ordered a tablet mount and will be trying this out.

@Taylor1430 Unless you need to update the home point when moving around while flying, there's no need for GPS on your controller attached device. The Mavic supplies its own GPS. The maps in DJI Go work fine. I'd much rather have a big-*** screen when flying, and not get mobile notifications, than cram a small cell phone in there. Using a cell phone when packing light makes sense, but otherwise an 8" screen sure beats a small cellular screen.
I had good luck flying with the fire 8 hd but the glare on the screen outside makes it hard to see. Ordered an anti glare screen to see if that helps. Have you had any glare issues?

Update: Today my Fire HD6 decided it's going to stop displaying the FPV video. Swapping to other devices, I can see that it's just the Fire HD6. I'm not sure what killed it, but it seems to be pretty repeatable. Luckily this crapped out on me on a front yard test (was screwing around with camera settings). It also was an issue when first turned on... so I knew it before I took off. The FPV just shows as green. So... going to have to switch to the Fire HD8. The HD8 screen does have significant glare, and appears that it will be an issue in full daylight, but very workable in the shade.

So... my setup will be the LG G6 as a reliable device when it arrives, and the Fire HD8 for twilight flights.

Reactions: sfessen
So I gave in and bought a refurbished HD 8. Following the instructions in the original post, i was able to install Google Play and download the app. It was actually a lot easier than i expected. App loads fine, etc. I havent, however, flown with it it as the new Fire arrived this evening.

The refurbished was about 50 bucks which was reasonable and will be dedicated to my MP. Hopefully everything runs strong and solid when I get to fly.

Reactions: thebigbaddan
I had good luck flying with the fire 8 hd but the glare on the screen outside makes it hard to see. Ordered an anti glare screen to see if that helps. Have you had any glare issues?

Did it work?

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rarmstrong2580