DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

An Eagle nearly took my mavic!!!

Nizmoose

Reactions
Hey guys,
This is my first post here after some time lurking and I didn't expect it to be a funny story like this. I'm relatively new to drones and decided today to go out and get some practice (mainly to actually set the camera up properly) and decided a good safe place would be from a lookout that paragliders launch from near my house. I live in Alpine Victoria in Australia and we have some amazing scenery out here so I figured getting to a nice high point on one side of the valley would be a great place to safely launch and fly my mavic as well as capturing some of the incredible scenery. One thing, which has crossed my mind before, but never really worried me was birds. Well boy did I get a close call.

So I have taken off and started to head to the airspace above the town I live in, flying straight out from my location would have put me a good 300-400m above ground level over the town and 0m above the RC. It was a beautiful clear day, heaps of vis and no paragliders (I obviously wouldn't have launched if there were parachutes around!). I flew around and about a kilometre out and got some average over-exposed shots then at about 35% battery decided to head back. With about 200m to go just as the drone comes into clear sight I see a MASSIVE Wedge-Tailed Eagle (largest eagle species in Australia) diving relatively slowly towards the drone. He came out of absolutely nowhere! I could see the entire valley and somehow this eagle had stayed out of my sight but somehow spotted my drone below. From the time I first saw the eagle start to dive to the time he had gotten to it would have been about 2 seconds, in that time I violently adjusted the yaw and tried desperately to kill some altitude.

By some miracle this eagle pulled out at the last minute, I'm talking he was close enough that I was sure he got it but for some reason he pulled out, possibly because my rotors picked up heaps of rpm at the last minute and maybe freaked the eagle out a bit. So at this point the mavic is about 150m away from me, at my level, but still at least 100m above the ground below it, and then I see the eagle gain altitude on the thermal to get ready to have another go at it, its at this point that I've picked my jaw up the floor and composed myself enough to hit sports mode, dive the drone and flatten it towards me, in my panic I almost over did it and got a bit close to the hill below me but then controlled the mavic up the hill close to the terrain and back to my grateful hands! After I had the mavic I looked back up and saw the eagle and its mate circling high on the thermals and while I wouldn't feel the same way had it gotten the mavic they were absolutely beautiful and majestic, even watching this thing gracefully dive after my panic-ridden drone was an amazingly beautiful sight. After I turned off and packed away the mavic I sat there and watched them for a while, amazing birds and a really cool albeit terrifying experience! I wish I was filming at the time but wasn't and have no footage of the incident :/

They are way cool to watch and you were lucky .
Welcome to mavic pilots .:)

Reactions: ajm2ja
Yeah... I'm pretty sure I'd need a change of shorts if that had happened to me!
Thanks for sharing your story.. and welcome to the forums. :cool:

Good story/Good ending!
Most stories around here are not good ones.
haha I was so certain it was going to be a bad one!

No video [emoji848]

No video :( would probably not have captured the eagle but you would have definitely seen my panicked 'control' the evasive manoeuvre on the flight log looks pretty funny

Yeah... I'm pretty sure I'd need a change of shorts if that had happened to me!
Thanks for sharing your story.. and welcome to the forums. :cool:

Thanks! I haven't been that shaken in a while!

Oh actually one other thing, I've been struggling to view my DAT files in order to find out how close I did come to the hill in my story after I evaded the eagle, I'm kinda curious to see how close I was but can't seem to find a reading from the front sensors in my csv version of the DAT file, anyone keen to have a look for me? my evasive manoeuvre starts at 8:55 and ends at 9:15ish in the log and my hard brake afterwards is at 9:29.

I've got the DAT file uploaded here if anyone could take a peek!

Meet Google Drive – One place for all your files

Just occured to me, I've never seen a bird flying. City thing i guess.
Eagle or a hawk would be a good way to go, if you had to

Bee/Hornets..
I must find the footage of one encounter.
I landed with my gimbal almost clogged, and propellers "Iced up" with what used to be them.

The further you fly the more you seem to collect..weird

Hey guys,
This is my first post here after some time lurking and I didn't expect it to be a funny story like this. I'm relatively new to drones and decided today to go out and get some practice (mainly to actually set the camera up properly) and decided a good safe place would be from a lookout that paragliders launch from near my house. I live in Alpine Victoria in Australia and we have some amazing scenery out here so I figured getting to a nice high point on one side of the valley would be a great place to safely launch and fly my mavic as well as capturing some of the incredible scenery. One thing, which has crossed my mind before, but never really worried me was birds. Well boy did I get a close call.

So I have taken off and started to head to the airspace above the town I live in, flying straight out from my location would have put me a good 300-400m above ground level over the town and 0m above the RC. It was a beautiful clear day, heaps of vis and no paragliders (I obviously wouldn't have launched if there were parachutes around!). I flew around and about a kilometre out and got some average over-exposed shots then at about 35% battery decided to head back. With about 200m to go just as the drone comes into clear sight I see a MASSIVE Wedge-Tailed Eagle (largest eagle species in Australia) diving relatively slowly towards the drone. He came out of absolutely nowhere! I could see the entire valley and somehow this eagle had stayed out of my sight but somehow spotted my drone below. From the time I first saw the eagle start to dive to the time he had gotten to it would have been about 2 seconds, in that time I violently adjusted the yaw and tried desperately to kill some altitude.

By some miracle this eagle pulled out at the last minute, I'm talking he was close enough that I was sure he got it but for some reason he pulled out, possibly because my rotors picked up heaps of rpm at the last minute and maybe freaked the eagle out a bit. So at this point the mavic is about 150m away from me, at my level, but still at least 100m above the ground below it, and then I see the eagle gain altitude on the thermal to get ready to have another go at it, its at this point that I've picked my jaw up the floor and composed myself enough to hit sports mode, dive the drone and flatten it towards me, in my panic I almost over did it and got a bit close to the hill below me but then controlled the mavic up the hill close to the terrain and back to my grateful hands! After I had the mavic I looked back up and saw the eagle and its mate circling high on the thermals and while I wouldn't feel the same way had it gotten the mavic they were absolutely beautiful and majestic, even watching this thing gracefully dive after my panic-ridden drone was an amazingly beautiful sight. After I turned off and packed away the mavic I sat there and watched them for a while, amazing birds and a really cool albeit terrifying experience! I wish I was filming at the time but wasn't and have no footage of the incident :/
Howdy from Wyoming Nizmoose, welcome to the community, plenty of fine folk and excellent information here.

I have heard but not tested, that even an eagle might not have the climb rate of the Mavic in sport mode, so keep that in the back of your mind. Now as you described, he was attacking from above so that bit might not apply on the first pass. But maybe it will apply if you are lucky enough to be flying after the first attack.

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gtfuture11