DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

'An expensive event’: 50 drones plunge into Swan River during sky show fail

Reactions: PHZ
Ouch
I was wondering if any scuba divers 'got in there quick' but also are there croc's in that river? Seemingly not but according to wiki it has bull sharks. eek

Yikes!!!! Thank God they were not over people. Just for fun I calculated the free fall stats of a two pound object (aprox M3) from 400 ft. It would reach up to 160fps and transfer 800ft/lb of force on impact. Not commensurate with the normal functioning of the human head.

I think your freefall speed is a bit fast, a Phantom 3 adv freefalls between 14 and 16m/s.......but.......as you say "Thank God they were not over people."

I think your freefall speed is a bit fast, a Phantom 3 adv freefalls between 14 and 16m/s.......but.......as you say "Thank God they were not over people."
Can't say much about that. Simply used a freefall calculator with a two pound object at 400 ft. Obviously there would be wind resistance to consider but that would be a nuts thing to try to figure out.

Can't say much about that. Simply used a freefall calculator with a two pound object at 400 ft. Obviously there would be wind resistance to consider but that would be a nuts thing to try to figure out.
I did the freefall thing with the P3 over the sea, it was impressive, the restart worked too lol.
Someone here deliberately CSC'ed a Mavic Mini or Mini 2 from 'quite high' but didn't follow the instructions they were given so it ended up as a pile of bits, even if there was a chance of a restart.
Unfortunatley I didn't bookmark it and don't remember what I worked the average freefall to be (there was video, I think a screen recording, and I have never been able to find the thread again.

I did the freefall thing with the P3 over the sea, it was impressive, the restart worked too lol.
Someone here deliberately CSC'ed a Mavic Mini or Mini 2 from 'quite high' but didn't follow the instructions they were given so it ended up as a pile of bits, even if there was a chance of a restart.
Unfortunatley I didn't bookmark it and don't remember what I worked the average freefall to be (there was video, I think a screen recording, and I have never been able to find the thread again.
You're braver than I. I really don't want to know or test it out. I'd probably have heart failure before the test was over, lol. I just don't want to be around the day Chicken Little is right.

Reactions: Yorkshire_Pud

Lots more to it . . . for interests sake . . .

As for the event / story, yeah that's not good to see, these must have been the types that drone show light companys can purchase in lots of 100's etc, and they are not cheap (as per story $2000 or so each).

I've seen videos from China where drone show machines have dropped from the sky, and this WAS over people, and some were hit by them apparently . . . obviously not as controlled as more western country events, will see if I can find it . . .

Found 2 videos quickly, there might be more.
They look like similar drones, but might have been separate events, as the sky patterns looked different.

They are recovering them, so won't stay in the waterway long.

Ballistics table

Ballistics table
That table is useless since it just has a bunch of different velocities with nothing to indicate what the actual terminal velocities of the various models are.

That calculator is fine for objects falling in a vacuum, but useless for real world cases where the object falls through air.
A drone with 4 propellers has a lot of drag and falls nowhere near that fast.

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
turtle27mike