DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

An ideal Tablet.

cheddar-man

Reactions
Wouldn't it be nice if someone manufactured a small tablet specifically designed for the Mini controllers

ie 6-7" (150-180mm) tall X 3½" (90mm) wide. This would fit perfectly on the Mini controller without have an adapter and be plenty big enough for most eyes! Obviously compatible with the Fly App!

If anybody knows such a beast please let me know. Although my iPhone XR is great it's still a bit small for my old eyes and I don't really want a huge tablet mounters on an adapter hanging off the top of the controller!

Am I being a bit ambitious here🤔🤔

Reactions: mereflyer
Triptek are a popular choice for drones and they offer a 7in tablet:

They show a picture of it mounted in the Air controller but it looks slightly bigger than your requirements and I think they're using an adapter, I'm not familiar with the newer Air style controller.

In case you're not aware of it, GSMArena has a huge number of phones/tablets in their database and they have a flexible search system so you can look for any devices which meet your requirements:

With growth of phone screen sizes the tablets have grown in turn as well so there's few 7in tablets these days but there are bigger phones that meet your requirements like for example a Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra which has a 6.8in screen.

However I would question whether a device which meets your requirements is actually going to be useful, you've said the iphone XR screen is a bit small but it's already 6.1in so a 7in device is not going to be much larger. The 8in iPad Mini is a popular choice since it gives a bit more screen space than a phone but without the bulk of the 10in+ tablets although I think it needs an adapter for the Air type controllers.

Reactions: Gagey52
ie 6-7" (150-180mm) tall X 3½" (90mm) wide.
Those dimensions fit a lot of the larger phones these days, the Samsung phablets come to mind... but you'll pay through the nose for a recent one with enough horsepower to run Fly

Many thanks Johnmcl7 for a most helpful post! The Tripltek is certainly a nice size but they're UGLY with that great heavy surround, or is that a case that comes off?
The trouble with the Samsung is that they get their larger diagonal screen size because they're very tall and slim, only 2.8" wide.

The iPad mini is probably as near as one can get but even that needs an adapter to mount it. Must have a closer look at one, see how much weight it adds to the top of the remote. My 83yo hands can't take too much wright🥴

The iPad mini 4 looks a good but have read that some people find it a bit slow or other issues? Anybody here use this??

Last edited:
Agree I hate small screens,almost need finger adapter for small phones lol,,,this bigger device will be my next step

Many thanks Johnmcl7 for a most helpful post! The Tripltek is certainly a nice size but they're UGLY with that great heavy surround, or is that a case that comes off?
The trouble with the Samsung is that they get their larger diagonal screen size because they're very tall and slim, only 2.8" wide.

The iPad mini is probably as near as one can get but even that needs an adapter to mount it. Must have a closer look at one, see how much weight it adds to the top of the remote. My 83yo hands can't take too much wright🥴

The iPad mini 4 looks a good but have read that some people find it a bit slow or other issues? Anybody here use this??
I wouldn't consider an iPad Mini 4 as it's showing its age and can struggle to run the DJI software, the newer model is also smaller thanks to reduced bezels and very slightly lighter.

Weight wise it's not too bad at 293g (just 10g heavier than my phone) which is about 100g more than your phone and about 150g less than the tablet I use which is bordering on too heavy for the remote.

"The iPad mini is probably as near as one can get but even that needs an adapter to mount it. Must have a closer look at one, see how much weight it adds to the top of the remote. My 83yo hands can't take too much wright"

For me, I'm going to go with the iPad Mini 5. It seems like a good compromise between size, readability and price point.

For the minimum size screen that I want, the mounting adapter is just what is necessary.

And a used iPad Mini 5 with 4GLTE (even if I don't immediately use it) can be for around $325.00

Last edited:
I used to use an IPad Mini 5 but found that the display would progressively dim, especially in warmer weather, to the point where it wasn’t safe to use, even with a sun shade. Just something to be aware of. My current display is the Tripltek 8 Pro, happy with it.

Reactions: MA2 317 and RMS001
I used to use an IPad Mini 5 but found that the display would progressively dim, especially in warmer weather, to the point where it wasn’t safe to use, even with a sun shade. Just something to be aware of. My current display is the Tripltek 8 Pro, happy with it.
But the Tripltek 8 Pro seems too have a very heavy surround or is that a case that comes off? Also way out of my budget 🥴

Tripltek is still easily your best bet,I have the 7' pro version for over a year now.
I would not even consider anything else.Kinda different looking,built like a tank.
Great bright screen.I look at the screen when I am flying anyway,not the case.

Reactions: MA2 317
Umm, Mini 5 certainly looks good 😁
Am I right in thinking that 5th generation is a mini 5?
Yes, and as others have pointed out, the ARM Processor in this Tablet is still very capable.

Wouldn't it be nice if someone manufactured a small tablet specifically designed for the Mini controllers

ie 6-7" (150-180mm) tall X 3½" (90mm) wide. This would fit perfectly on the Mini controller without have an adapter and be plenty big enough for most eyes! Obviously compatible with the Fly App!

If anybody knows such a beast please let me know. Although my iPhone XR is great it's still a bit small for my old eyes and I don't really want a huge tablet mounters on an adapter hanging off the top of the controller!

I acquired a new Samsung A71 prior to/for the DJI Mini purchase. It JUST fit the Mini controller. Presently, my daughter thought I should have a nice case for my phone that would include a spiffy prop/folding finger-ring on the back side...oh lovely but then it would not fit the controller. Grrr.
I did manufacture an adapter which suits all needs nicely. Great wee project.
Ahem, sorry...to address your situation, I expect a 'tablet' of your description would have to be saleable in the millions before being viable. You know how industry and commerce work...😏

iPad Mini 5 would be your best bet IMHO. I have an $9 adapter that weighs next to nothing that clips to the top. Get a hood if brightness is an issue but being in the UK, you shouldn't have as much of a heat issue as the southern U.S.

I use an iPad 11 Pro with absolutely no issues, but then again, I’m blind as a bat.

Reactions: DougMcC
Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MaxRichu