DJI Mavic, Air and Mini Drones
Friendly, Helpful & Knowledgeable Community
Join Us Now

An In Flight Gimble Cover

Reactions: Wacha McCallum
Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz. I would have thought that taking photos though a curved plastic surface would distort the shot. I’ve seen plenty of hoods but no lens covers. Best of luck with your search.
Regards

I would have thought that taking photos though a curved plastic surface would distort the shot.

If the material is uniform, there would be no distortion.
Any thickness deviation will give the view through a 'funhouse' type effect.

Mostly with blow moulded plastics they are pretty good for low distortion.

But flying with a gimbal cover (like this, if one were available) . . .

images

. . . with any sort of light coming near that is going to mess with photos or video very badly.

@Wacha McCallum what is the aim of the cover, prevent rain / damage / other ?

Hi, Is there a gimble cover that can be used in flight that can be photographed through, and allows full motion to the camera on an Air 2?
Those two things are opposed - the purpose of the gimbal cover is to hold the camera and gimbal in that fixed position, preventing damage to the mechanism. A gimbal cover that allows movement isn't going to do anything for the gimbal.

Reactions: BigAl07
Those two things are opposed - the purpose of the gimbal cover is to hold the camera and gimbal in that fixed position, preventing damage to the mechanism. A gimbal cover that allows movement isn't going to do anything for the gimbal.

I think the OP means a simple gimbal cover, not a gimbal clamp . . . though some drone gimbal covers also clamp the gimbal for packing away / travel, which of course would be potentially (likely) damaging to the gimbal if used in flight.

A simple gimbal cover is not going to be good at all for photography, and that's what the OP asked for "used in flight that can be photographed through".

A Camera Cover (less confusing than calling it a gimbal cover) can be very problematic. It must be perfectly clean, clear, and distortion free. Even the smallest of distortions, scratches, dust etc will create strange anomalies on your video/pics. You may not even realize it until after-the-fact when it's too late to do anything about it.

Also even a perfectly clean/clear Camera Cover could potentially create strange halos etc when shooting with the sun beside, behind, or directly over the aircraft.

For good optical performance it should be made of optical glass for the part in front of the active lens angle, and preferably planar, otherwise the imaging performance will be hopeless.

Reactions: BigAl07
I think the OP means a simple gimbal cover, not a gimbal clamp . . . though some drone gimbal covers also clamp the gimbal for packing away / travel, which of course would be potentially (likely) damaging to the gimbal if used in flight.

A simple gimbal cover is not going to be good at all for photography, and that's what the OP asked for "used in flight that can be photographed through".
Other than keeping some dust out of the mechanism, what would be the purpose of a gimbal cover that doesn't clamp?

Other than keeping some dust out of the mechanism, what would be the purpose of a gimbal cover that doesn't clamp?

The M1P / MPP came std with a clamp and a cover.
There were / are aftermarket combo covers / clamp type made.
Not sure about the M2, Air models or other later models, if any come with locking cover.
No purpose I can see, considering photographing. / videoing through a cover is simply going to result in less than desirable quality, or at least be difficult in most lights with flare and weird halos etc.

Thanks for the responses. I understand that a plastic bubble over the camera would compromise the optics. My idea was for protection from the elements and/or a hard landing while still letting the gimble move freely. Something that I could see through while exploring and remove for serious photo/video. I worry that the delicate mechanism is exposed and could be easily damaged. I'm a cautious novice pilot but I know that first crash is coming at some point. LOL

Last edited:
Thanks for the responses. I understand that a plastic bubble over the camera would compromise the optics. My idea was for protection from the elements and/or a hard landing while still letting the gimble move freely. Something that I could see through while exploring and remove for serious photo/video. I worry that the delicate mechanism is exposed and could be easily damaged. I'm a cautious novice pilot but I know that first crash is coming at some point. LOL

Afraid you will be better to fly without one, perhaps use an aftermarket gimbal shroud (if one is made for the MA2 ??).
This is a shroud, to protect from shadows / give some impact protection perhaps . . .

51zk%2BpwHZqL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Gimbal Camera Lens Sunshade Cover Shield Protect Case for DJI Mavic Air KW

This says for MA, but is shown on an MA2, so they are interchangeable ?
Sorry not familiar with body / gimbal camera differences.

This MIGHT interfere with shots n flight sometimes too, I know ones for the older models sometimes needed a little dremel work at points to keep out of view in tight turns etc, though for cinematic flying (slow) they should be fine.

Use an MC-UV filter to protect the camera lens, if a clear lens is not already fitted to cover the camera lens.

Around six months ago I bought a second-hand MPP kit which included a lens shade like this one, but have not used it:

If I have time tomorrow I'll fly with it and see if it interferes with the camera view in any way. I haven't searched, but maybe there's one similar to it for the Air 2

Around six months ago I bought a second-hand MPP kit which included a lens shade like this one, but have not used it:

If I have time tomorrow I'll fly with it and see if it interferes with the camera view in any way. I haven't searched, but maybe there's one similar to it for the Air 2

I think I covered one suited to the Air2 above.

The one you have had needed trimming a little, garnished from info from others in numerous past posts.
Just a smidge at the edges, and only in some flight circumstances.
Very likely this might be when faster yawing, when the gimbal is turning on that axis slightly . . . or flying in wind or sports mode, where the drone might be tilted somewhat.

Afraid you will be better to fly without one, perhaps use an aftermarket gimbal shroud (if one is made for the MA2 ??).
This is a shroud, to protect from shadows / give some impact protection perhaps . . .

51zk%2BpwHZqL._AC_SL1000_.jpg

Gimbal Camera Lens Sunshade Cover Shield Protect Case for DJI Mavic Air KW

This says for MA, but is shown on an MA2, so they are interchangeable ?
Sorry not familiar with body / gimbal camera differences.

This MIGHT interfere with shots n flight sometimes too, I know ones for the older models sometimes needed a little dremel work at points to keep out of view in tight turns etc, though for cinematic flying (slow) they should be fine.

Use an MC-UV filter to protect the camera lens, if a clear lens is not already fitted to cover the camera lens.
Hey, Thanks! It's sure easy to get down the accessary rabbit hole. This shroud/shade looks like it functions like a camera lens hood. Plus it appears to extend below the camera enough to offer a little protection from grass, gravel, etc.

Hey, Thanks! It's sure easy to get down the accessary rabbit hole. This shroud/shade looks like it functions like a camera lens hood. Plus it appears to extend below the camera enough to offer a little protection from grass, gravel, etc.

You’re welcome.
The shrouds are mostly designed to offer shade from certain camera / sun angles, as well as some gimbal protection if a mild impact of sorts was to occur.
Not a lot of protection, but some, and in reality the free floating unclamped gimbal (as it needs to be to do it’s thing) is open to damage from violent movement like a crash.
So a dome cover isn’t going to do anything in reality to protect there.
For grass / take off dust / uneven ground etc, I’d recommend some sort of landing pad.

Welcome to the forum from the land of Oz. I would have thought that taking photos though a curved plastic surface would distort the shot. I’ve seen plenty of hoods but no lens covers. Best of luck with your search.
Regards
Thank you Gagey! Trying to keep the bastards from grinding me down too!

I flew with that lens hood I linked in post #14 yesterday around 6 p.m. when the sun was low. (sunset was just after 7).

Only gained about an extra 10 degrees from perpendicular to the sun before lens flare hit, and the hood showed up every time I yawed.. didn't really think I was going to like this thing, now I know. :)

Lycus Tech Mavic Air 3 Case

DJI Drone Deals

New Threads

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
James Hoogenboom